Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When you say "inline with the lower ball joint" is that the center pivot of the ball joint or the top of the ball joint where it goes threw the spindle? How far would I need to bend the arm? Will "re-fabricating" a metric spindle saver do almost the same thing as welding a brace? Or after bending will it be that far off? Sorry, for what ever reason I cant reply to anyone's comment, only make a new post.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    a chevelle uses a chevelle centerlink and stock idler and pitman it is all centered just fine, 99 percent of the modifieds out there are built on chevelle clips
    Dirtworks found a different year center link that worked better, that's probly what you are referring to. Even then, you had to use those long spacers to get the bumpsteer close.

Stock Car Racer, Maybe you could tell me what tie rod to use because I'm clearly not "capible" to find it! Maybe I got the wrong guy but I called AFCO the other day, he told me of no such tie Rod that was that short! Guess I was "capible" enough to ask!Maybe a "hey buddy, if your going to run that center link with those spindles you need to do ........"
    Last edited by Hodrod7; 02-24-2016 at 11:25 AM.

7, I believe a 75 Monza tie rod end is what you want. They are short.

Before with metric spindles and metric center link, limited upper angle. (Last year) it was 11mm RF 3mm lf. I have no idea what it is with Camaro link, and Impala spindles. (Need to solve tie Rod issue 1st)Thanks for taking a few seconds to find them!

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    no I am not.

I run a chevelle grt now with chevelle centerlink stock oem and less than half inch spacers for bump steer. ALL IMCA mods run oem centerlinks as per the rules, there are probably 10,000 plus of them out there.

Don't worry about it, you clearly aren't up to date on whats going on in the racing world today.

This guy can run a stock metric centerlink and be fine.

If he hasn't got the capability or knowledge to search for a shorter tie rod end, which is readily available as short as 3", then he likely doesn't know what he has for bump steer now or what he even wants. Some people should leave things alone.
    ok....RUMLEY JR....you CLEARLY missed my post saying that was 20 years ago!

Since we parked side by side to the Dirtworks house car, all week long at Volusia that year, and had the same discussion. Rex liked the idea how we modified our centerlink to fix the bumpsteer. But, hey, Dirtworks was a podunk chassis builder that doesn't know anything and never won anything....roll eyes!
    Last edited by a25rjr; 02-24-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    ok....RUMLEY JR....you CLEARLY missed my post saying that was 20 years ago!

Since we parked side by side to the Dirtworks house car, all week long at Volusia that year, and had the same discussion. Rex liked the idea how we modified our centerlink to fix the bumpsteer. But, hey, Dirtworks was a podunk chassis builder that doesn't know anything and never won anything....roll eyes!
    don't blame him 25rjr, ive come to the conclusion he cant help being a _ _ _ _ head , you can fill in the blanks,

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    don't blame him 25rjr, ive come to the conclusion he cant help being a _ _ _ _ head , you can fill in the blanks,
    He cant help it.....he's been waitin by the phone all week, expecting a call from Rumley, so he can tell him how to fix those "Horns"! LOL

Default spindle

Quote Originally Posted by Hodrod7 View Post
    When you say "inline with the lower ball joint" is that the center pivot of the ball joint or the top of the ball joint where it goes threw the spindle? How far would I need to bend the arm? Will "re-fabricating" a metric spindle saver do almost the same thing as welding a brace? Or after bending will it be that far off? Sorry, for what ever reason I cant reply to anyone's comment, only make a new post.
    You would be heating the spindle on the steering arm to straighten it up. You will have to cut and weld a support bar to the spindle. the metric spindle save will not work on a big GM spindle
    shoot me a PM with an e-mail or phone number and I will shoot you a couple pictures.

what you are effectively doing is making your tie rod the same length as the a arm, from were it bolts into chassis to center of ball joint. when the 2 are the same length , and on same plane, it will make both points pivot in the same arch as the suspension travels in compression and rebound.
    effectively greatly improving bump steer.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 02-25-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I just run metric spindles with +1" upper joints. makes for a taller spindle that does the same you're trying to accomplish with the impala being taller. I know in the Keyser Mag you can look at tie rods that have different lengths and check your thread. Pierce isn't a 5/8" thread on the inner if i remember correctly from when i ran them. Look up lightening modified chassis they use metric clips with metric spindles and camaro centerlink. I've done a lot of super streets and mods with metric clips and camaro and metric centerlinks and can always get the bump pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    You would be heating the spindle on the steering arm to straighten it up. You will have to cut and weld a support bar to the spindle. the metric spindle save will not work on a big GM spindleshoot me a PM with an e-mail or phone number and I will shoot you a couple pictures.what you are effectively doing is making your tie rod the same length as the a arm, from were it bolts into chassis to center of ball joint. when the 2 are the same length , and on same plane, it will make both points pivot in the same arch as the suspension travels in compression and rebound.effectively greatly improving bump steer.
    PM sent Thanks