Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    Its sad that Jumper has to buy his fans
    Didn't know you had any, other than JD? We all know why he's a BIG fan of yours! lol

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    I've never really been a huge fan but back in the mid 90's I was like 7 or 8 and got my picture taken with him and Ronnie Johnson, that was pretty cool. Still have that picture. Whether you love him or hate (seems a bit strong to hate someone you don't know but some do) him, I think anybody with half a brain not hiding behind a screen name would agree that the sport is better with him in it. Having someone to cheer against or cheer for when they lose a tire leading the feature or destroy a car in World 100 hot laps (though I never cheer for crashes or injuries but some do), its good for any sport to have a "villain".
    Had a similar experience. When I was 4 years old I was at my first World 100 (early 90's). My Dad took my down to Bloomer's trailer. I was told by my Dad that this was when Bloomer used to have some fine females that would hang out at his trailer. A few of the girls took me up into the rig. A few minute later, Bloomer comes out of the trailer holding me. Of course, my Dad had to get a picture of this. Several years later we had the picture blown up and took it down to his trailer to sign. He said something along the lines of "how old is this picture" while laughing. I had it framed and it now hangs on the wall of my man cave. Although he is controversial guy and makes a lot of excuses, Bloomer will always be my guy!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Didn't know you had any, other than JD? We all know why he's a BIG fan of yours! lol
    Ahh you learned how to change words in someones post. Very clever there!

Cool story! Yeah I was at the Topless 100, I'd like to say it was 1995. It was the year that Bill Frye won and Bloomer thought he had won and he pulled up on the front stretch after the race and was like "WTF I thought Bill was a lap down". But anyways, I was big into the die-cast models (as I think any young race fan would be) and I had a couple that I had just got for my birthday that year in July, I got the Bloomquist and the Ronnie Johnson cars with flames when they ran they matching cars, and they were both signing stuff at their trailer so I took my cars to get signed. I wanted a picture and Scott told my dad to, and I quote "sit his a-s-s up here", so that was cool. I was too young then to fully appreciate the ability to pull some strange tail and how easy it is to fall in love with a stripper. But look at him, I don't blame him one bit! Rock star hair and a Miller Genuine Draft t-shirt.

It's been probably 10 years since I looked at the pic, I was thinking Ronnie was in there too but apparently not. My memory failed me on that part apparently.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by slingindirt83 View Post
    This is so true. I used to stay in Chillicothe Ohio for work and not one person I asked knew where the race track was. In the time i spent there I probably asked 40 or so people and not one knew of it. People just dont know what they are missing
    and "promoters" wonder why their tracks close.

I met him at Pennsboro as a teenager in the mid 90s and he was super cool. Never disliked him but i do wanna see him back in the black 18 at some point. Also seemed like no matter where i went during speedweeks whether i was at a restaurant or even just getting a haircut, people woulf ask what i was in town for or if I was there for the race. (Hotel was in Daytona Beach) Id tell em and they had no idea Volusia or any dirt tracks existed in the area. This coming from people that have lived their whole lives down there and only know of Daytona

Every sport needs a villain. The NBA has Lebron James, the NFL has Tom Brady, racing has Scott Bloomquist and the Busch brothers.

Ahh you learned how to change words in someones post. Very clever there!
    Hahaha......I learned from the master, besides I knew you could take a joke! lol

Its sad that bloomer has to buy his fans

The first time I went to Florence was like that. Back in '91. No internet, thought all I have to do is get to Florence and ask where the track is. Nobody knew where it was. I got directions to the horse track a couple times. Finally after about an hour of driving around asking, stopped at the liquor store and got the correct directions. I made sure the guy was t steering me to the horse track. Thank God for gps!!!
    Scott Kleindorfer

And I've met Scott on several occasions. Got to know when to approach and when to leave alone. It's all common sense really
    Scott Kleindorfer

Quote Originally Posted by mskdorf View Post
    And I've met Scott on several occasions. Got to know when to approach and when to leave alone. It's all common sense really
    Exactly and I do that with any driver I approach. If they're messing with the car or anything ill stay back but if they're just hanging around bs'n ill walk up n talk to them

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Hahaha......I learned from the master, besides I knew you could take a joke! lol
    Its all good. I posted in my first post just to get your feathers ruffled lmao.

Good storys though. Itz funny how you find out about different drivers doing things to interreact w there fans.

Quote Originally Posted by clayton_wetter View Post
    all im hearing is crickets !!!!!!

We met snort at Fairbury back in the late 1980's. It was during the UMP Summernationals tour and he was walking behind the front stretch grandstands. We recognized him right away since that was the days of his very long locks. For some forgotten reason he was not racing that night but he was there, nonetheless.

He was extremely personable and polite, and although through the years we've never been fans my Wife has brought that encounter up numerous times and commented how nice he was that night at Fairbury.

We've walked by his pit dozens of times over the years at Eldora and many other tracks and have not had the occasion of talking to him since.

Usually a good rule of thumb is that if he is carrying the dog around on the 4-wheeler, he's in a decent enough mood to say hi.

Its all good. I posted in my first post just to get your feathers ruffled lmao.

Good storys though. Itz funny how you find out about different drivers doing things to interreact w there fans.
    You cant't help it.....ur a Yankee! lol

Racers always need to be promoting themselves.....they never know if they are talking to their next big sponsor!

sometimes it doesn't matter how much you promote, people just don't pay attention.

I live in Knoxville, IA (home of Knoxville Raceway). They advertise on TV, in the paper, Social Media, get local businesses and large companies to sponsor weekly racing and I can tell you for FACT that there are people that live within a 15 mile radius that have no clue where Knoxville Raceway is or what they race there (I've taken some of these people to the races with me to expose them to it) and they have lived in the area for 20+ years.

Don't be quick to put all the blame on promotors. They can only reach those that have an interest to be reached (just like the NFL, MLB, NHL, and NASCAR - I know people that have NEVER watched any of those things live or on TV). Their interests live outside of sports or they are too busy living life to pay attention (some of these people grew up in the area, then left for college or the military and by the time they returned to the area, their life was consumed by other activities). My guess is that the skydiver is a great example of that, he's into an extreme activity already that consumes his time (skydiving) and he has a business to get people to skydive. Pretty easy to not see anything else going on around you IMO.

all im hearing is crickets !!!!!!
    Probably severe tinnitus!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Probably severe tinnitus!!!
    No not all the time. It only occures on 4m w you!!