Default ump wheel cover rules

Are they telling me I need to buy all new beadlock rims in 2017 so the mud plug is held on by 5 fastenees.

H. Effective with the first 2016 event only steel Zeus wheel cover fasteners are required.
    I. It is recommended that wheel covers have a minimum of 5 mounting points. A minimum
    of 5 fasteners will be mandatory for the 2017 racing season.

Yep thats the way I read it. Who makes a wheel with 5 fasteners or a wheel cover for that matter? Mine all have 3 and I have seen rings for non bead wheels with 4 but I havent seen any with 5?

Dave
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

Never seen one anywhere with 5.

Which means that ump has teamed up with some wheel builder and will be selling a lot of wheels for 2017. That is unless they change the rule again.

Don't worry it's a rule the tracks won't implement if even ends up as a rule.

I would call the tracks you plan on running and ask them what rules they are going to enforce.

You can bet if this rule happens UMP will have their hand in the cookie jar. Getting money from each wheel just like the money they get from hoosier for each tire

The World of Outlaw Sprint Car Series have moved to this rule as well...don't be surprised to see it spread amongst other series and sanctions.
    Just anotha guy on 4m who think's they know what they're talking about...

I fail to see the point in this rule change for any technical merit. When's the last time any remembers seeing a wheel cover come off a car in any class? Air cleaners come off more frequently...

We run a track that outlawed wheel covers all together, because of one going in to the stands and hitting someone. Im sure that somebody will make a weld on tab kit and cover, to use your old wheels. UMP has a lot more important things they need to be looking at though. The 2016 rules still have the drawing dated 2007 or 2008. The last I looked they had 42 different contradictions in the rules, or rules that make absolutely no sense. I offered to proof read them, and help them write them so people could understand them. UMP, as well as most other sanctioning bodies need to get a handle on the size of these bodies, before air becomes as important as it is in late model racing. It drives the costs and maintanence time up on the cars. It shouldn't have a place in short track racing. I just put an MD# rocker panel, and valence on a car. It looks good, but adds about $160 bucks to the cost of a body, plus extra time, just to get tore off the first time the track gets real rough, or somebody gets sideways in front of him. They need to make the noses and right sides 12" off the ground, if they want to help the racers. Let the air get under the cars, so we don't end up in aero wars. JMO

Yep I noticed some cars at speedweeks shows were very aero dependent in the late models, more so than even last year I feel. Only watched one of the mod shows so cant comment on that. You could see the whole nose come up and the car push up the track when the air got taken off. Do we make them drill x number of holes at predetermined locations across the nose to cut down on it? Limit the right side body from the ground is a good start. They are back to the wedge car days. Lucas did away with the trick LR stuff. Maybe they can do away with the bump stops and stop nuts and all that jazz on the RF to try to keep the nose from being sealed off. Its easier to tech that than the LR stuff they outlawed.