Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Morgantown, WV Speedway at Cheat Lake. Been closed probably 35 years or so. Now a giant convenient store/gas station and a holy roller mega church.
    Interstate/ I-79/ Brennan's across the road from the Rocket shop. Now a parking lot for an auto auction.
    I started my lifelong addiction to dirt racing at these two tracks as a child in the early 60's.

Sugar Island Park, Santa Fe, Raceway Park, Mazon, Bureau County Speedway, Aledo, Macomb, Shaheen's, Champaign, Pana, LaPlace, Mendota, Peotone, Wakeegan, Freeport, Pecatonica, Mount Olive, Williamson County, Mount Vernon, Godfrey, Danville Speedbowl, Pride Of The Prairrie, and several more that were in Illinois.
    Some of those tracks are ancient history. Others closed more recently. Unfortunately the list will continue to grow.
    Support WEEKLY racing......while you still can!

Rockcastle, Clinton Co., Lake Cumberland, Bluegrass, Scenic, Golden Mountain, Tenn Motor, Atomic, Big South Fork, Mountain Motor, Lucky 7, Perry County, Bluegrass, Clay City, Barren Co., Cool Springs, Taylor Co., Thunder Ridge, Half Mountain, all fairly recently. Countless more since I was a kid. Lost Creek, Frankfort, Russell Springs, Junction City, McKee, Pine Knot, Lonnies, I am sure there are more.

I-20 Speedway (Batesburg SC), Gordon Park Speedway (Augusta Ga), Mileback speedway (Gray Court SC), Thunder Valley (Lawndale NC), I-75 Speedway (Chester SC), Westminster Speedway (Westminister SC) have all closed. Modoc speedway seems to be iffy and no longer runs weekly shows.

Lakeville Speedway in Ohio about 5yrs ago. Before that it's been awhile since I can recall a track closing permanently. Had Bryan close in early 90's and Mansfield Speedway but rumored to re-open but it's pavement now

Quote Originally Posted by Pops15 View Post
    Sugar Island Park, Santa Fe, Raceway Park, Mazon, Bureau County Speedway, Aledo, Macomb, Shaheen's, Champaign, Pana, LaPlace, Mendota, Peotone, Wakeegan, Freeport, Pecatonica, Mount Olive, Williamson County, Mount Vernon, Godfrey, Danville Speedbowl, Pride Of The Prairie, and several more that were in Illinois.
    Some of those tracks are ancient history. Others closed more recently. Unfortunately the list will continue to grow.
    Pops' list is a sad one, for sure. I can remember most of the tracks he lists.

I would add to Pops' list these Illinois speedway's that are also defunct:

Sterling Speedbowl Park,
    Benton Speedway,
    Brownstown Speedway,
    Crawford County Speedway in Stoy, Illlinois,
    Pittsfield Speedway,
    Raceway Park in Blue Island,
    White Squirrel Speedway in Olney,
    3rd Street Speedway in Streator,Illinois,
    Ohare Field Speedway in Des Plaines, Illinois.

And In Eastern Iowa we have Blue Grass Speedway that closed several years ago.

Fox Ridge Speedway in Arcadia WI

Pennsboro Speedway, West Virginia Motor Speedway, and Interstate 79 Speedway. All within 50 min of the house.

North Alabama Speedway in The northwest corner of the state. It is the raciest facility in the AL/TN/MS area. Actually it has been for sale. But sadly the owner wants $850,000 for a track that hasn't been open a full season in years...
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

Green Valley Speedway, original home of the Bama Bash......Still pi$$es me off!!!!! Who the he!! ever Harker sold it to, LITERALLY hated the track so much, they made a lake out of it......Have good health eating those fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sold it under the premise of a residential development and the only new houses on the property are shooting houses for the hunters. And for what it's worth, it's for sale again.

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVY DUTY View Post
    Rockcastle, Clinton Co., Lake Cumberland, Bluegrass, Scenic, Golden Mountain, Tenn Motor, Atomic, Big South Fork, Mountain Motor, Lucky 7, Perry County, Bluegrass, Clay City, Barren Co., Cool Springs, Taylor Co., Thunder Ridge, Half Mountain, all fairly recently. Countless more since I was a kid. Lost Creek, Frankfort, Russell Springs, Junction City, McKee, Pine Knot, Lonnies, I am sure there are more.
    Why did Atomic Speedway close?............always heard it was a bad A$$ track

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    In Tennessee Huntsville speedway,Oneida speedway,atomic speedway, Tennessee motor speedway at Baxter,crossville was suppose to reopen ,green valley Gadsden al,north Alabama.
    And Scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman85 View Post
    I-20 Speedway (Batesburg SC), Gordon Park Speedway (Augusta Ga), Mileback speedway (Gray Court SC), Thunder Valley (Lawndale NC), I-75 Speedway (Chester SC), Westminster Speedway (Westminister SC) have all closed. Modoc speedway seems to be iffy and no longer runs weekly shows.
    The track in Chester was a very nice place .............
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

441 Speedway in Dublin, Ga. Great facility, have seen some great races there over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Pops' list is a sad one, for sure. I can remember most of the tracks he lists.

I would add to Pops' list these Illinois speedway's that are also defunct:

Sterling Speedbowl Park,
    Benton Speedway,
    Brownstown Speedway,
    Crawford County Speedway in Stoy, Illlinois,
    Pittsfield Speedway,
    Raceway Park in Blue Island,
    White Squirrel Speedway in Olney,
    3rd Street Speedway in Streator,Illinois,
    Ohare Field Speedway in Des Plaines, Illinois.

And In Eastern Iowa we have Blue Grass Speedway that closed several years ago.
    Brownstown Speedway? Is that Fayette County Speedway (open)?

Unfortunately its looking more and more like Lasalle Speedway is at the verge of being a statistic on this list. What a shame, this place went from being a first class facility to only hosting a handful of big money shows this year. I like the big shows as much as the next guy but without the grassroots weekly show, there is no place for young drivers to develop their talent with hopes of someday being part of the big show. Now more than ever people need to support their local tracks!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by donkypunch4u View Post
    unfortunately its looking more and more like lasalle speedway is at the verge of being a statistic on this list. What a shame, this place went from being a first class facility to only hosting a handful of big money shows this year. I like the big shows as much as the next guy but without the grassroots weekly show, there is no place for young drivers to develop their talent with hopes of someday being part of the big show. Now more than ever people need to support their local tracks!

go read tony izzo jr's facebook page and you will have an idea why he is running a limitied schedule this year.
    Not trying to be mean just letting you know.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Quote Originally Posted by pap View Post
    Green Valley Speedway, original home of the Bama Bash......Still pi$$es me off!!!!! Who the he!! ever Harker sold it to, LITERALLY hated the track so much, they made a lake out of it......Have good health eating those fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sold it under the premise of a residential development and the only new houses on the property are shooting houses for the hunters. And for what it's worth, it's for sale again.
    it still peeees me of to pap, there was also a track about 50 miles south that ran back in the late 90s and some during the 2000s called Childersburg speedway , one of the best tracks we ever ran, now there's ruts 2feet deep all over it, what a shame, but its still for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 wide View Post
    In Tennessee Huntsville speedway,Oneida speedway,atomic speedway, Tennessee motor speedway at Baxter,crossville was suppose to reopen ,green valley Gadsden al,north Alabama.
    Ha, we share an area. All the same ones I was going to mention. I'll add Albany, KY's track too.

North Alabama Speedway.

Late Model Mark
    TST Announcer