Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I thought I could buck the trend of tracks closing deal when I opened a new track in central Wisconsin in 2014. The original 1/2 mile track had only been used for horses and a couple of midget shows back in the 50's.

In the mid-2000's a group of snowmobile enthusiasts cut a 1/3 mile out of the big track and ran on an ice track for about 5 years. They had big $$$ sponsors but all that money went to the racers... the small group of promoters wound up working six months out of the year for zip. No profit = no racing and they pulled the plug after the 2013 event.

I leased the track the next season and put every last dime I had to my name in improvements and equipment. I had to petition the county for a zoning exemption. I was forced to have a 10PM curfew and limit my show to three lower classes to keep the locals happy and get the program rolling.

I lasted five nights before the cash ran out. Couldn't get guys to run a weekday show even though everything was done by 9:30 PM. One guy told me it 20 miles was too far to tow on a Thursday. Others wanted to only run under the same rules the other tracks in the area ran. I ran my 'open comp' rules and I guess the street stock guys got scared my pure stocks and old enduro cars would whip their a**ses so they stayed home. I needed car but I got little help.

I paid my drivers more $$$ than any other track in the area. I paid every race... trophy dash, heat, feature, back-up race... whatever we ran. I guess making $500.00 in one night with a streeter just wasn't incentive enough to race. My four cylinder guys got $200 to win their main... the track 15 miles away paid $15 and a pit pass for next week!

So I got a real lesson on how some of today's drivers operate. I guess racing just to race is an obsolete deal. Maybe I should have given out 'participation trophys'...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Jax Raceways in Jacksonville, FL
    Thunderbowl Speedway near Valdosta, GA
    Waycross Motor Speedway in Waycross, GA (I'm considering it closed as long as they have the overflow of imported cars from the port of Brunswick parked in the parking lot)

Riverside Speedway near Travlers Rest SC. CLosed in 2006 and is now a golf course if I'm not mistaken.

Krooser that is a sad deal teams won't travel 20 miles on a Thursday night ,sounds like they just don't want to race

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    but how about a drive -in turned to race track
    That would be lasalle

KY Lake got bought out and will soon become, if not already, a housing addition? Is that correct?

KY lake was taken over by eminent domain and will be made into an exit ramp for the highways next to it...
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

It sure is a sad thing to think about all these tracks that have been listed who now sit dormant.

Posted earlier, Green Valley Speedway, what a flippin' awesome track, maybe the best facility in the state. Had 2 great years of announcing there. That place was intense. Miss it so, had some real flavor to it.

Late Model Mark
    Former Green Valley Speedway Announcer

Green Valley Speedway is news to me. I seem to be behind at times...when did this happen?

The guy that ran green valley new nothing about dirt track racing when they ran that big crate race a few years ago I think it was 25 thousand to win I asked a guy in the stand I said I don't get it he said what you I said there's not enough people in the stands to pay first place money he said don't worry about it the guy is loaded the last time I went there I left at 2 am and they had not stared the late model feature that's why they are out of business.

Dead lakes motor speedway in wewa,fl it was also called north florida motor speedway it was leveled and has projects on top of it now

Not enough here.

But there is 2 new tracks that have opened in my area in the last 6 months so I'm Pretty happy about that

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I thought I could buck the trend of tracks closing deal when I opened a new track in central Wisconsin in 2014. The original 1/2 mile track had only been used for horses and a couple of midget shows back in the 50's.

In the mid-2000's a group of snowmobile enthusiasts cut a 1/3 mile out of the big track and ran on an ice track for about 5 years. They had big $$$ sponsors but all that money went to the racers... the small group of promoters wound up working six months out of the year for zip. No profit = no racing and they pulled the plug after the 2013 event.

I leased the track the next season and put every last dime I had to my name in improvements and equipment. I had to petition the county for a zoning exemption. I was forced to have a 10PM curfew and limit my show to three lower classes to keep the locals happy and get the program rolling.

I lasted five nights before the cash ran out. Couldn't get guys to run a weekday show even though everything was done by 9:30 PM. One guy told me it 20 miles was too far to tow on a Thursday. Others wanted to only run under the same rules the other tracks in the area ran. I ran my 'open comp' rules and I guess the street stock guys got scared my pure stocks and old enduro cars would whip their a**ses so they stayed home. I needed car but I got little help.

I paid my drivers more $$$ than any other track in the area. I paid every race... trophy dash, heat, feature, back-up race... whatever we ran. I guess making $500.00 in one night with a streeter just wasn't incentive enough to race. My four cylinder guys got $200 to win their main... the track 15 miles away paid $15 and a pit pass for next week!

So I got a real lesson on how some of today's drivers operate. I guess racing just to race is an obsolete deal. Maybe I should have given out 'participation trophys'...
    Is this Amherst by chance just curious

Just went by Lake Cumberland Speedway in Burnside, KY the other day and seen where they have taken the tracks sign down and there is a Kingsford charcoal sign there..not good sign for the reopening of the track and I hate cuz loved the place

KY Lake is closest to me that has actually shut down, it and Clayhill in Atwood. But, as far as dirt late model racing goes, in my area it's dead. 2 small shows this season within 100 miles of me, a Comp Cams race in Camden, TN and a Southern All Stars race at Tennessee National in Hohenwald, TN. Other than that, 130 miles to a World of Outlaws race in Duck River. Otherwise gotta drive almost 200 miles to see anything decent.

Quote Originally Posted by dmr37 View Post
    Brownstown Speedway? Is that Fayette County Speedway (open)?
    You're right. I stand corrected.

Thanks for setting me and the record straight.

St. Augustine Speedway, St. Augustine, Florida
    Thundercross Speedway, Okeechobee, Florida
    The Mickyard, Disneyworld Speedway, Kissimmee, Florida

Unhappy R.i.p.

Hwy 106 Speedway - Carnsville, GA
    West Minster Speedway - West Minster, SC
    Blue Ridge Speedway - Blue Ridge, GA
    Sugar Creek Speedway - Blue Ridge, GA
    Seven Flags Speedway - Douglasville, GA (aka West Atlanta Speedway)
    Lakewood Speedway - Atlanta, GA (The track in, "Smokey and the Bandit" movie)
    Peachbowl - Atlanta, GA
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.