Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Birky is BACK...

not sure the reliability of the source, but according to Facebook Dirt Racing Media, Birkhofer is back. Knew it wouldn't be long.

Per Dirtondirt live. Birky will drive for Kay for one race at Lasalle at the end of March.

Glad to see him back behind the wheel even if it's just one race.

Birky will be there!

It's not just for 1 race. I can guarantee you that!!!!!! Read the other post that was put out their. Your way behind.

Quote Originally Posted by plunks7 View Post
    It's not just for 1 race. I can guarantee you that!!!!!! Read the other post that was put out their. Your way behind.
    I'm saying the only one set in stone is Lasalle as of now. I'm sure there will be more, but right now nobody but a few people close to the situation know which races he will race in.

Per Alissa on Facebook....
    "This got way out of control when someone used the word "back." Brian did not want to announce anything because he is not making any promises. He is going to practice at La Salle on Thursday night. If the Easter weekend event is postponed to the following weekend, we already have a commitment and he will not be there. We will not have a website, schedule or new tshirt. Please do not ask. We enjoyed our "normal" life last year and intend to continue doing just that. Racing for 2016 will be a hobby. If you do not hear from me, what you read may not be true. I'm not going to respond to every comment, question, etc. because quite frankly, I just don't have the time."

Quote Originally Posted by BirkyTime15B View Post
    "This got way out of control when someone used the word "back." Brian did not want to announce anything because he is not making any promises. He is going to practice at La Salle on Thursday night. If the Easter weekend event is postponed to the following weekend, we already have a commitment and he will not be there. We will not have a website, schedule or new tshirt. Please do not ask. We enjoyed our "normal" life last year and intend to continue doing just that. Racing for 2016 will be a hobby. If you do not hear from me, what you read may not be true. I'm not going to respond to every comment, question, etc. because quite frankly, I just don't have the time."
    Sounds like momma is a little pissy! Ah, the joys of being married.

Quote Originally Posted by In The Gas View Post
    Sounds like momma is a little pissy! Ah, the joys of being married.
    More like she shutting down the bs rumors that people think and over say stuff that not true.. she just answer 90% question with that post.

Quote Originally Posted by BirkyTime15B View Post
    Well then. I applaud her, well said and to the point.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Agreed, putting the BS to rest! On a side note when I win Powerball I will be putting Brian in a Hot Rod!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEight View Post
    Kinda glad they left since they obviously don't miss racing from the tone of her message. Keep on stepping.
    So it's not ok to talk about Tony and his pi$$ poor decisions, but people can spread bs about Birky, and his wife can't set the record straight? Ok....
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    More like she shutting down the bs rumors that people think and over say stuff that not true.. she just answer 90% question with that post.
    Yeah so shut up plunks. Don't you have a hockey game to go to? Haha

Cedar Rapids Gazette had an article on the subject this morning.
    http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sp...rd-up-20160306
    WHEATLAND — At the end of the 2014 racing season, Brian Birkhofer left dirt Late Model racing just a little less full and a lot less fun when he stepped out of the car and away from the sport. He closed the doors on his race team and was unsure if he’d ever race again.

But after a little more than a year away, and for at least one weekend at the end of March, Birky is back.

The Muscatine native has agreed to join forces with Gheer’d Up Racecars and Justin Kay to get back in an open Late Model to race at the 5th Annual Thaw Brawl at LaSalle Speedway in LaSalle, Ill. Birkhofer, who respectfully declined an interview for this story, confirmed the news of his return and told Ricky Kay — Justin’s dad, and part-owner of the race team — he “wants to let the car do the talking.”

Everyone involved heavily emphasized this isn’t a full-scale return to traveling on the Lucas Oil Late Model Series or even racing weekly, rather that Birkhofer will have his own seat in the Gheer’d Up stable whenever he wants it — with an eye toward possible entry in all the “crown jewels” of the sport. The deal hinges on going racing when Birkhofer wants to go.

“I sat down with him, and we made sure we all knew we’re going to have fun,” said Ricky Kay, who brokered the deal with Birkhofer and his wife, Alyssa, for the return. “He does not want to race every weekend. He’s enjoying his family life. We’ve got 10 or 12 races picked out, but Brian has reservations. He thinks he may have lost it. But we all know, you don’t forget. He hasn’t forgotten how to drive.

“We’re going to play it by ear. We’re going to have fun. That’s the idea.”

Birkhofer could be in the car for those 10 or 12 races, or it could be just at LaSalle — there’s no guarantee of anything beyond March 25-26. It all depends on how that race goes and how comfortable Birkhofer is with everything.

The Gheer’d Up team, co-owned in a group by Tyson Gheer, Justin and Ricky Kay and Scott Fitzpatrick, all know better than to think Birkhofer won’t have a very good chance of picking up right where he left off — which was winning the Lucas Oil Late Model Nationals in the final race before stepping away at Knoxville Raceway.

A guy that talented doesn’t just lose it.

“He says he might’ve lost it, and we’re all like, ‘Come on, man,’” Fitzpatrick said through a laugh. “You don’t forget that. He said, ‘You guys might fire me after two races,’ and all we can do is laugh. No way.

“He’s a very humble person. The success he’s had, he’s very humble. It’s pretty cool, he’s not all up on himself. He’s about coming over and helping out.”

Gheer’d Up believes it can grow as an organization and vastly improve its open Late Model program by bringing Birkhofer into the fold.

When Gheer and the Kays joined forces a few years ago, it sparked the most success Justin has ever had in a racecar, and the pair have won 80 races from 2013-15. But each of those 80 wins has come in an IMCA or IMCA-type Late Model, while the open Late Model stuff hasn’t been nearly as successful. Justin believes he can learn a great deal as a driver, and that it’ll expand Gheer’d Up’s reach if the open stuff improves.

“I feel like with him there, I’ll be able to have more fun at the racetrack because I won’t have everybody looking just at me. It’ll be spread out that way,” Justin Kay said. “If we can go out and run real well with him, I think it could be really big for Gheer’d Up. Some of the knowledge we can gain and how it might help the whole business, we’ll be able to keep racing for a long time.”

Birkhofer lamented the rising cost of the sport as one of the chief reasons for stepping away last year, citing being tired of searching for funding to be able to compete at the level he reached in winning nearly 200 feature races during his career.

But not being able to spend time with his wife and sons Cruz and Creed was just as impactful.

“I want to be the dad that’s there. I’ve been around racing for a long time. I’ve known a lot of guys that they don’t see their kids very often,” Birkhofer told his hometown newspaper, the Muscatine Journal, in 2014. “… I always want to be there for my kids.”

The Kays made sure Birkhofer and his wife knew those priorities came first. Ricky said, “whether it’s basketball or football or whatever the kids are into, that comes first.”

It’s a very low-pressure agreement, but one that all parties involved know will capture the interest of the dirt racing community, given Birkhofer has had dozens of offers to come back to race throughout the time he’s been away from the racetrack. Ricky Kay will supply the Vic Hill-built engines for Birkhofer, and a group of sponsors have stepped up to help fund the rest.

So why now? Why Gheer’d Up?

Even the Kays aren’t 100 percent certain. But they sure are excited to now have 15b join 15k in their Wheatland race shop.

“We all are Birky fans — that’s the most important thing. We wanted to be a part of it and are glad to be a part of it, of bringing him back,” Ricky Kay said. “I’ve asked him why he joined this circus, of all of them he could’ve joined, and he said the timing was right.

“I don’t know why us. I know there’s a lot better-funded places he could’ve gone. I’m glad though, you know. He’s a fun guy to be around. We’re going to keep it fun. We’re going to go watch him win, and being part of that will be the fun part.”

l Comments: (319) 368-8884; jeremiah.davis@thegazette.com

I commend him for wanting to be there for his kids, and his wife for setting the record straight that he will not be a full time racer but cmon you gotta let his fans know what these 10 or so races he's gonna be at are. Folks gotta make plans and I promise the promoters at said races would like it, it'll help them sell a ticket or two.

Sorry, read the previous post wrong about the 10 or so races. Anyways, he should drive those 10 or so, can't tell me he doesn't miss it. It's his opportunity to show up with a helmet and fire suit and have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mudmaker View Post
    Yeah so shut up plunks. Don't you have a hockey game to go to? Haha
    Now what you going to say? All true wasn't it? Right down to how many races. I must have surprised you.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt junkie View Post
    Sorry, read the previous post wrong about the 10 or so races. Anyways, he should drive those 10 or so, can't tell me he doesn't miss it. It's his opportunity to show up with a helmet and fire suit and have some fun.
    If I were to guess, the ten "Crown Jewels" would be Eldora's two biggies, Knoxville, DTWC, USA Nats, I-80, PDC, Show Me, North South and the Firecracker.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

He said a couple years ago he wouldn't be back to the dtwc unless they moved it away from prp.