Default What jobs or companies do drivers have, to fund their racing operations with.

Just wondering it must take more than sponsor money and purse winnings to fund most of the dirt late model drivers. Do most drivers have other income ( chassis builders , engine builders or any other businesses that keep them going ? )
    Last edited by spintowin; 03-06-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Consulting is a good business.

Alot own their own construction companies or work at part stores

Some are tug boat drivers.
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

Mine would be underground utility construction, which I completely f'ing hate. But it's the only thing I know how to do to pay for all this crap lol

Just 3 guys off of the top of my head.

Ferguson did work for butlerbilt. Kent Robinson runs pretty good sized salvage yard. Chad Stapleton has his own construction deal, that remodels houses and such.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 03-08-2016 at 04:53 AM.

Jimmy Mars has multiple funding and sponsors. see http://www.marsracecars.com/ and http://jimmymarsracing.com/
    Last edited by Mud; 03-08-2016 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by big88fan View Post
    Mine would be underground utility construction, which I completely f'ing hate. But it's the only thing I know how to do to pay for all this crap lol
    Heck, I've been thinking of going back to main line sewer, water, and storm. I'm assuming that's what you mean. Using trench boxes, gravel boxes, pipe lasers, line instruments, regular laser transits, etc.

What do you do on the pipe crews?

My biggest complaints/negatives were, traveling, and not leaving crews together.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

My gig for 40 years was as a building contractor. Sometimes think I raced as much to get away from 24-7 of customers acting as if you were on call at any time they pleased. Inside the car was about the only time I didn't have to think about work and got some peace and quiet...well maybe not quiet. Nowadays it's SS and a carpenter pension that keeps me afloat. Changed to Super Stocks about 10 years ago but it's still as much fun as ever.

Awesome to hear that.

Union operating engineer and the guy that backs me is retired operating engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcklovin85.. View Post
    Union operating engineer and the guy that backs me is retired operating engineer.
    That's what my occupation is. What state you outta? What's your local?

What do you operate the most/like the most?

Sorry for all the questions, but we just happen to both be in the same trade.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Farming... an old friend of mine would start getting serious about racing when he got his seed money loan from the bank every spring... he'd go from an empty shop to a race ready car in about 4 weeks.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Few of them in the logging business

Mining Engineer Technician.....but by the looks of things, that is going to have to change. Thanks Obama! No job=no racing.

Being in the political game is a good one

farming...
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

Industrial maintenance coordinator/technician don't mind still getting my hands greasy on a 85 year old 2400 ton coining press every now and then. I work for the world 2nd largest remanufacturer of heavy duty brake shoes. Thank the good lord our company took a stand on keeping our manufacturing in the good ole USA.
    Last edited by GRT62; 03-09-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Mars Race cars amassed over 300 feature wins in 2015. See http://www.marsracecars.com/ Jimmys race car business must provide significant funding for his personal racing program.
    Last edited by Mud; 03-10-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Most required to be in a money making business or have a sponsor in a money making business to support their money losing hobby!