Thread: Bill Frye

Default Bill Frye

May be he'll finish what he started with bloomer in 97 at eldora. And we all know bloomer wants no part or piece of frye. It'd b lights out for bloomer.

I dunno. He did barrel roll his new Club 29 car in practice a few weeks ago. dont think Scott is too concerned.

I'm sure he is nervous as hell waiting for his next encounter with someone who has about a snowball's chance in hell in making a "crown jewel" u better share whatever it is your're smoking

Quote Originally Posted by Umpdirt1 View Post
    May be he'll finish what he started with bloomer in 97 at eldora. And we all know bloomer wants no part or piece of frye. It'd b lights out for bloomer.
    Blocking Bill got what he deserved that year at Eldora. It's just too bad that his car was not totally disabled after the accident. Now it's just too late to be thinking of demo derbies.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    I dunno. He did barrel roll his new Club 29 car in practice a few weeks ago. dont think Scott is too concerned.
    What caused the wreck, did somebody try to pass him? That's a no no!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomerdirtking View Post
    I'm sure he is nervous as hell waiting for his next encounter with someone who has about a snowball's chance in hell in making a "crown jewel" u better share whatever it is your're smoking
    Whatever it is, I appears to FRYE your brain!!!

Bill's wife is a lot better looking than bloomer's that's fo sho.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Bill's wife is a lot better looking than bloomer's that's fo sho.
    Bill's wife passed away a few years ago.

Mi Dirt Fan, that was a Rocket by Frye that he flipped in practice the other night at Harrisburg. Was all on him, and didn't do anything but bend a little sheet metal.

Gear Head, Bill remarried a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Umpdirt1 View Post
    Why would anyone have 1997 on their minds? Wouldn't Frye have got him back over the decade or so after that dream race? You make it sound like he has just got back after being out since that accident.lol Although he has had no success outside his region since the 1990s.lol It might seem like he hasn't been racing since about 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbones View Post
    Why would anyone have 1997 on their minds?
    I don't know, but I'm glad he did because it got me to lookin' at the video of the race, then the results of all the Dreams and then looking at some of the drivers from back in the 80s and 90s before I followed the sport. Along the way I read about Dennis Erb's father being killed in '97 and ended up re-watching Purvis's career ending wreck. So the thread ended up being a sad, but interesting history lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by slmcrewchief99 View Post
    Mi Dirt Fan, that was a Rocket by Frye that he flipped in practice the other night at Harrisburg. Was all on him, and didn't do anything but bend a little sheet metal.

Gear Head, Bill remarried a couple of years ago.
    I'm glad someone is up to date on Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake X3 View Post
    I don't know, but I'm glad he did because it got me to lookin' at the video of the race, then the results of all the Dreams and then looking at some of the drivers from back in the 80s and 90s before I followed the sport. Along the way I read about Dennis Erb's father being killed in '97 and ended up re-watching Purvis's career ending wreck. So the thread ended up being a sad, but interesting history lesson.
    That wreck at Nazareth may have ended his NASCAR career but he continued to race for a few more years. Here's a good thread on his later years- http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?330...to-Jeff-Purvis

Bill raced sporadically up until 3-4 years ago I believe. If you check out his stuff on facebook he has been building some cool street rod pickups and what not lately. He has also ran a couple asphalt late model races at Lebanon the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake X3 View Post
    Along the way I read about Dennis Erb's father being killed in '97.
    Not wanting to hijack this post at all... I do like Bill Frye and hope he has a good year this year.

However, I have a question about the quoted portion above. I am a big Dennis Erb fan. I remember watching he and his Dad at Farley, IA at a UMP Summernationals show in the mid-90s. As the years rolled on after that, I knew that his Dad had passed away, but I never heard much about it. Trying to search for info now, I see a short article that says that Dennis Erb Sr was killed in a shop accident. Man, that is horrible. Obviously losing your father would be terrible no matter how it happens, but I guess I always just spent all these years thinking, "Maybe he had a heart attack or something" and just figured that, unfortunately, that is life sometimes..... But, hearing about the shop accident now, and knowing how hard Dennis has worked all of these years pretty much running a race team largely on his own, it makes me even sadder for Dennis to know that he has probably thought about that and had to live with that every day while he was cutting, welding, etc himself in the shop.

I certainly don't mean to dig up bad memories. I really am just curious to know if anyone remembers what happened? While I'm not an OSHA inspector or a huge safety guy, I do always hate to hear of people losing their lives in work-related accidents, and I think we all could do well to be aware of the errors, mishaps, etc that have unfortunately "done others in". (And I don't mean to suggest that Dennis Sr made an "error". I truly am just curious to know if something may have happened that could serve as a learning tool or lesson learned for every other gearhead in this world).

Bill has been running some modified races around Arkansas the last few yrs. From talking to the crew chief on his and Surrett's cars I wouldn't be counting on any trips to Eldora and such. It's just a regional thing to have a lil fun, not a fulltime return to LM racing.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
    Not wanting to hijack this post at all... I do like Bill Frye and hope he has a good year this year.

However, I have a question about the quoted portion above. I am a big Dennis Erb fan. I remember watching he and his Dad at Farley, IA at a UMP Summernationals show in the mid-90s. As the years rolled on after that, I knew that his Dad had passed away, but I never heard much about it. Trying to search for info now, I see a short article that says that Dennis Erb Sr was killed in a shop accident. Man, that is horrible. Obviously losing your father would be terrible no matter how it happens, but I guess I always just spent all these years thinking, "Maybe he had a heart attack or something" and just figured that, unfortunately, that is life sometimes..... But, hearing about the shop accident now, and knowing how hard Dennis has worked all of these years pretty much running a race team largely on his own, it makes me even sadder for Dennis to know that he has probably thought about that and had to live with that every day while he was cutting, welding, etc himself in the shop.

I certainly don't mean to dig up bad memories. I really am just curious to know if anyone remembers what happened? While I'm not an OSHA inspector or a huge safety guy, I do always hate to hear of people losing their lives in work-related accidents, and I think we all could do well to be aware of the errors, mishaps, etc that have unfortunately "done others in". (And I don't mean to suggest that Dennis Sr made an "error". I truly am just curious to know if something may have happened that could serve as a learning tool or lesson learned for every other gearhead in this world).
    I felt the same way when I read that. I'm relatively new to the sport, so I had no idea. Reading that along with seeing Purvis's wreck got me to thinking about Dale Sr and my own father who used to race in 50s, was very big on driver safety and died shortly after Dale Sr.

The point you make about something being learned from what happened with Erb Sr also was on my mind watching the Purvis wreck. Dale's death and the improvements in safety that came from it has surely saved countless lives and maybe even Jeff's. I'm sure someone on here knows more of the details about Dennis Erb Sr., so hopefully someone can fill us in or start a new thread on it so we don't continue to hijack the Bill Frye thread.

Snake X3, I am going to start a new thread so as to not further hijack this thread.