Default Who The Heck Is John Ownbey?

Is that even how you spell his name? I've seen it spelled Ownbey and Owenby. He's won two races this year, one at Winchester, TN and last night's Ultimate race. I know he's from Cleveland, TN and runs the number J0 Longhorn with a Phantom engine. I know he's been around a while and run some Supers over the years and had some success in crates, but who is this guy? Is he just a weekend warrior that got in a ride that as Jesse Stovall might say, "Holy Cow! It just fits my style."?

I keep hearing about the death of DLMR and how the little guy doesn't have a chance anymore. Is he a Late Model unicorn or something? Seriously...inquiring minds want to know.

He's the guy you crew chief for. Nice resume! Jfwy

I don't know much about John himself. I do remember racing rfactor with him a few years ago though.

Heck of a wheelman. Always done more with less but he has pretty good equipment now. He won a bunch of races last year. I was happy to see him win. Definitely wasn't a lack of talent in that field of cars. There was also a good bit of tore up cars last night for a super race. Hiett was definitely on the move if he would of stayed low he would of caught owenby with the two lapped cars holding him up. I thought it was lining up for a wild last few laps. We ran crate which was last feature and I got home at 4 this morning.

I also seen an article I think that said he had a steelhead motor in last night. Anyone clarify that?

Quote Originally Posted by GRT24 View Post
    I also seen an article I think that said he had a steelhead motor in last night. Anyone clarify that?
    It was either a spec or 525 because he had the whale tail on the back.
    Left 4M and Dirt Late Model racing, 04/12/2016 @12:06AM.

John has ran ran supers on and off since 2003, has done some crate racing, he won some nesmith races last year in 604 and 525s, he is a very talented driver with good equipment the last year or so. Hiett was catching him , the brake pedal was laying against the firewall the last 15 laps with zero brakes .this is not the same car as last year. It was sold so his car owner bought a car from mason ziegler.
    Last edited by GRT32; 03-06-2016 at 08:51 PM.

I'm just glad he was finally able to get the car he bought from Zeigler re-wrapped. He ran around in the 25z at a few shows after he got that car.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

I've raced against him in crates last year and he is tough to beat. Fast in just about anything he gets in.

Ownbey is a petal to the metal racer, and usually with a underdog engine, if it will run he will go to the front, and rubbing paint is no problem.

Oh...what is the correct spelling of his last name?

Yea he ran z25 a couple races until they got their sponsers in line. Its ownbey

Met John while he was driving the old 74 car at Winchester a few years ago. Super nice guy and a WHEELMAN.

Your cousin too right Lamar?

He ran some SAS races back in my days a few years ago. He is super smooth and talented. Remember he was winning a ton of races at Cleveland and around the area. He had the right tool for the job last night. His smooth throttle and that all steel engine on a super slick NGS made for a perfect storm for him.

It is Ownbey. Good guy. Soft spoken but can wheel it.

Lamars nephew

DoD gave him print in this week's Fast Talk that came out today, which is pretty cool. I checked out his facebook page tonight. I feel like I'm officially up to speed on who the heck John Ownbey is now. Thanks everyone!

Catch Kevin Kovac's weekly piece tomorrow on DoD and I believe that Dave Seay will also have a DirtNation Interview up with John soon as well.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

It's great to see a guy that's been in the game awhile get a couple of wins and gain some attention for it...especially when (as I said in the OP) the little guy supposedly has no chance anymore. Granted, he didn't win a touring race, but winning against a stout field consisting of the best guys in the SE region ain't nothing to sneeze at.

John Ownbey puter in the wind a "THE DUCK" Saturday March 12th.