Default Dennis Erb Sr. question

I am copying most of this post from the Bill Frye thread, so as to not further hijack that thread... I also figure this will be more "on topic" with its own thread, and maybe someone who knows further info can fill me in. Thank you.

I am a big Dennis Erb fan. I remember watching he and his Dad at Farley, IA at a UMP Summernationals show in the mid-90s. As the years rolled on after that, I knew that his Dad had passed away, but I never heard much about it. Trying to search for info now, I see a short article that says that Dennis Erb Sr was killed in a shop accident. Man, that is horrible. Obviously losing your father would be terrible no matter how it happens, but I guess I always just spent all these years thinking, "Maybe he had a heart attack or something" and just figured that, unfortunately, that is life sometimes..... But, hearing about the shop accident now, and knowing how hard Dennis has worked all of these years pretty much running a race team largely on his own, it makes me even sadder for Dennis to know that he has probably thought about that and had to live with that every day while he was cutting, welding, etc himself in the shop.

I certainly don't mean to dig up bad memories. I really am just curious to know if anyone remembers what happened? While I'm not an OSHA inspector or a huge safety guy, I do always hate to hear of people losing their lives in work-related accidents, and I think we all could do well to be aware of the errors, mishaps, etc that have unfortunately "done others in". (And I don't mean to suggest that Dennis Sr made an "error". I truly am just curious to know if something may have happened that could serve as a learning tool or lesson learned for every other gearhead in this world).

Car lift broke and the car landed on top of him...

Wow...just wow.

I was at D!ck Hedricks Shop and he was telling me how it happened, when Dennis walked in and we started to work on Dennis Car never got back too him just how it happened.. So all I know is something broke and the car came off the Lift...

Thank you for the reply Cardirt0. Tragic deal for sure.

I have Know Dennis for sometime now.. Hes one of the nices people you can meet.. Hes can clam up in a large group,But hes fun in a small group of people he knows...I think he was there when his dad die It was hard on him..Helped him one year down in FL. and help him at Hedricks shop a lot.. He is Good People....

Cardirt0, Very nice post about Dennis. I have talked to him and Heather on numerous occasions. And still to this day when he is at a race I'm at. I go down and talk to both of them. A very Humble guy. And really pleasant pair to talk with. Brought Heather and Dennis Supper one night at Cedar Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    I have Know Dennis for sometime now.. Hes one of the nices people you can meet.. Hes can clam up in a large group,But hes fun in a small group of people he knows...I think he was there when his dad die It was hard on him..Helped him one year down in FL. and help him at Hedricks shop a lot.. He is Good People....
    I agree totally.
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

deserves a big win for sure... maybe 2 or 3

Quote Originally Posted by TackyTracker View Post
    deserves a big win for sure... maybe 2 or 3
    Would so love to see Dennis get a crown jewel (or two or three like you say). Last year's Dream weekend at Eldora was pretty darn close for him....

I someone was due one on hard work and just being a nice guy. Its Dennis

His time will come. Soon I hope