Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocks

Default Rocks

Ever saw anyone get pelted? I know we've all been showered in dust and small rocks and such, but I'm talking a full on rock. Saw a lady at the Dream 2009, sitting one row behind us and about 4-5 seats down get drilled in the forehead. Didn't actually see it happen, but the commotion got my attention, looked back and it looked like a scene from a horror flick. Blood gushing down chicks face as they hustled her out of there. Just wondered how common a scene like this is?

Watching my son run the season closer last year at one of our regular tracks I caught one in the schnozz through the pit fence. Golf ball sized and it sounded just like my truck's windshield when you get behind a gravel truck. Minor break and little blood but I've broken it worse from hockey sticks, baseball bats and a few fists. This one didn't even require straightening it, which I've gotten pretty good at over the years. Like the line in the old Bobby Bare song, "my nose been broke so many times I might lose it if I sneeze." But we won the open main that night so it didn't hurt too bad till the next day.

I got nailed in the head with a big chunk of mud. The very next lap I got nailed in the Balls by a rock about 1" 1/2 in diameter. Rolling on the ground in major discomfort to say the least. Friends were Laughing like crazy.

Saw a guy at Portsmouth Raceway Park at the DTWC this year get pelted about 2-3 rows behind me. Golf ball sized rock hit him and then landed right on the bleacher beside him.

Back in the late 90's- early 2000's my dad and I was at Lake Cumberland speedway sitting pretty high up in the stands. He got hit in the collar bone with a flat sharpe piece of what looked to be slate or flint. Bout the size of a half dollar. Anyways he thought and everyone else thought he was having a heart attack. It was sharpe so it cut thru shirt and skin. I think he still has the rock somewhere.

I got drilled in the face shield by a bolt off a car in front of me at full speed. Snapped my head back. Sounded like a gun shot. I about pi$$ed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    Like the line in the old Bobby Bare song, "my nose been broke so many times I might lose it if I sneeze." But we won the open main that night so it didn't hurt too bad till the next day.
    "And that makes me the winner."

Quote Originally Posted by NormP View Post
    "And that makes me the winner."
    Jacob Hawkins had a rock come through his face shield at eldora a couple years ago. Pulled out of the race and i believe he later had surgery.

Clint Smith was hit at Rome Speedway and I believe it cracked his helmet and knocked him out.

I got hit with a rock a couple seasons ago. Bent the rock guard bars, hit me in the top of the shield and knocked me out. Some how I stopped before I hit the wall, and a minute or 2 later when I woke up the push truck was just about to push me off the track. Apparently I figured it'd be best if I drove it to my pit, I don't remember anything about that night aside from the loud noise and seeing a bright light, and then what I was told about the night later.
    Here's my little home on Youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AmickRacing
    Home Page
    http://www.AmickRacing.com

I my self still have yet to be pelted with a rock! but I have been pelted with a mud clod bout size of a grape fruit in the chest at Lincoln speedway in Lincoln Il few year back standing in turns 1&2 in the bleachers in the pits!

Expo Speedway in NE Ohio. They run a couple times a year now during the fair. This was in about 1994-1996, somewhere in there. During hot laps for an All Star sprint show, a teenaged boy was hit in the chest with a fist sized rock. That was EMS etc, never did hear if he was ok. It was being promoted by the Kings that run big blocks and late models.

Same time frame where a firefighter or track worker was on the track during a sprint heat race in 3 n 4, as they dropped the green. Luckily Dale Blaney and whoever else was in it were alert. Because he was in the racing groove as they dropped the green.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

2013 Dream I had a flat shaped rock a bout the size of a 50 cent piece hit me in the collarbone, during the heat races on Friday night. Left a nice welt but that was about it. My local track in Manitowoc, WI got me good once though, rock was about 3 inches long by about a half inch. Took it in the lower leg.
    2012 events: 40 - 2013 events: 29 - 2014 events: 26 - 2015 events: 29
    2016 events: 37 nights: - 2017 Events- 43 - 2018 Events- 43 -2019 Events: 43 Nights

2020 Events: 31 total - Plymouth(WI): 8 - Shawano: 1 - Outagamie: 2 - Cedar Lake: 4 - Mississippi Thunder: 3 - Beaver Dam: 1 - Gravity Park: 2 - Lafayette County: 2 - SK Speedway: 1 - Wilmot: 2 - 300 Raceway: 1 - Fairbury: 2 - Davenport: 1 - LaSalle: 1

when we ran mods we went to Batesville one year for an early show, and i got hit with a rock in the helmet knocked a quarter size hole thru the chin part

My brother got hit in the side of the head with a 1.5" 3/8 bolt at Macon last year. Put a good gash in the side of his head.

actually never been hit myself at least nothing memorable.. seen a few around me get it pretty bad over the years

I have always run a stainless steel screen to keep rocks and debris out of my face...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I got hit in the eye by a mud ball about the size of a pool ball at North Georgia Speedway in spot 81 on the fence. As soon as it hit, I went blind and I thought my eyeball fell out. Couldnt see good the rest of the night, had a black eye the next day. Made me skiddish to watch hot laps from that spot, but I always wear eye protection now.

The worst is getting hit in the neck while out there driving. Dam that hurts and sometimes you cant breathe LOL.

Alot of guys in the old days would run them "skirts" aound the bottom of the helmet to prevent this.
    Last edited by Kromulous; 03-10-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Just say no...

I got hit by a clod.Well it was actually a potted flower,while I was watching a race at East bay on Dirt on Dirt- PPV !