Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: moonshiners

Good Shine is far and few between. Seems like the more they make the worse it tastes. A crock pot with a fish tank hose threw a cooler works too.

Rye makes way better tasting shine...

Default Moon

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I was wondering though, why is moonshine so expensive? I'm a Miller Lite guy so I can't relate but isn't there alcohol available legally that is just as strong, but much cheaper?
    I bought a jar of 100 proof Ole Smokey Original Moonshine here in MN for $19.95.
    Tastes good with Coke (the liquid type in a can)

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
    I bought a jar of 100 proof Ole Smokey Original Moonshine here in MN for $19.95.
    Tastes good with Coke (the liquid type in a can)
    A lot of the old smokey is grain neutral spirits based(ever clear is grain neutral), nothing wrong with it and it tastes good.
    Is the 100 proof you have corn ? Or does it say grain neutral on it?

No offense to anyone or anyone's style.....real moon is corn.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Que, if you go to VMS apr 9.. Look me up and ill give you a taste of that Rye shine...

What I can't understand is why someone would go in a liquor store and pay $36 for a jar of Tim's Climax moonshine when less money will buy you some premium liquor? It has to be the fascination of buying a product "as seen on TV"! LOL!
    And yes, I have has a snort of Popcorn Sutton's production too. Couldn't even taste the possum that fell in and drown in the mash barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Street Outlaws is probably my favorite show (I know, get a life), but I laugh at how they make it out to be so "Illegal" but on race night they have top of the line auxiliary light towers and EMS on scene. Their so called "test hits" sure, but they don't even show much of that anymore. I'm not really in to Moonshiners but when I do see it, I can't get enough of Jim Tom and Tickle. Even the dog Cutie Pie. Some real "recognizable" characters on that show!
    The first season of Street Outlaws, they claimed that they were dodging the police until Discovery screwed up and mistakenly showed parked cop cars in the background. Now they openly admit that their are cops and emergency personnel on sight.
    One of my favorite shows as well. Some call it fake but you can't fake a wheel stand launch with all 4 tires leaving the ground or some of the wrecks as well. Wait till the 2016 season opener. When Justin Shearer totaly destroys the crow in a violent barrel roll, ya can't fake that.

Moonshiners on the other hand?? I won't go there. If a television network was filming people making illegal booze out in the sticks, the bureau of AT&F would be on them like stink on sh1t
    8/13/16

I think your allowed to make 400 gallons a year legally, for home use. Not for sale and has to remain at the home. Selling or transporting it is a crime.

400 gallons for home use???

lol nc mudcat That's what I was thinking who in the world needs 400 gallons for home use in a year.

If you made just one barrel a year and aged it for ten years, it would add up to 550 gallons on hand. That's not including and beer, wine or brandy. It still seems like a lot for the amount I consume now days. However, the last party I threw, we went threw a keg of beer and at least a couple gallons of booze and wine. When he was alive, Dad used to make really good wine and give it for Christmas gifts to the family. The Plum was exceptional. Tasted good and would knock your socks off. It was a blend of wine and brandy, made from the same fruit.

Not saying you're making stuff up Bubstr if you're giving some away, I understand, but that's so much booze for personal use I just find it absurd. I am coming from a non drinking family too, so what do I know.

Guys I might be wrong but I think a person is allowed to make 100 gallons if it's 1 person per household or 200 gallons if there 2 or more people but this only for beer or wine. A person cannot legally make moonshine without a distillation permit or permit to produce ethanol. It is illegal in all 50 states to possess a liquor still if I'm not mistaken.

As for the tv show if any of y'all is around Maggie Valley, NC the last weekend of July go by the hillbilly Woodstock, hillbilly jam, popcorn sutton moonshine festival, whatever the hell they calling it this year there is always several from the show that is there and will answer any questions you ask might not be totally truthful but they'll tell you something. I asked how legit it was and was told by digger and Chico that Discovery covered the cost of supplies needed and filming permits but once the cameras was turned off it had to be poured out.

Poured out , right

That's what they said Bert heck I don't know lol

it is illegal to distill alcohol ANY WHERE in the U.S. with out a permit. you can make beer or home brew , or mash , if you want to call it that, but when you cook it and distill alcohol with out a permit, you are breaking the law. ive herd this personal use theory for years and its bs , don't believe it? let a federal agent catch you and try telling him that. down here, all this apple pie bs has caused them to create a 6 man task force and they are hunting down stills right now. bad thing is, people are buying every clear 190 proof for 20 dollars a bottle and making 5 or 6 quarts of apple pie and selling it for 30 bucks a bottle, not even made out of real shine , but this is still boot legging and is whats causing all the trouble for the old moonshiners that are still left here.

Any of you remember a lovely young lady, name not to be mentioned, that took orders at Cherokee for next day delivery of flavored shine? I recall you could order peach, apple, cherry, and cinnamon....all pretty good as best I can remember!

This has turned into a Carolina family reunion. What a good read for an outsider like myself!

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    This has turned into a Carolina family reunion. What a good read for an outsider like myself!
    I guess im an outsider my self, ROLL TIDE........