Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    Here in champaign il we had this place open 3 days a week, some old Black guy from down south has run it for years. He died so good BBQ here has Died.. Lived in Baton Rouge for 8 years so got Spoiled...
    The name of the place in Champaign, Illinois you mention was PoBoys. It was a couple of miles off The University of Illinois campus and when I was in school we would go down there on Sunday evenings after a weekend of partying and get ribs hoping it would get us feeling better before 8 o'clocks on Monday morning. It was a small place and there was a line out the door almost all the time. Most everyone got their food to go. Best BBQ I've ever had. Period. I'd bet the owner spent but very little on advertising. It was known far and wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredfred Burger View Post
    Lets do the math shall we. If they fill up both classes, there will be 400 cars. FOUR FREAKING HUNDRED.......INDOORS. A weekly track gets lets say 120 cars.Lets be generous and say the show is done in 4 hours. That's 30 cars an hour. 400 cars will take 13 hours to run. The chili bowl spends 4 days running 300 something cars. I smell a rat. Backdoor sanchez is returning from his indy invitational hump n dump. i considered competing, i was gonna go watch. I wont bother going. Mark my words it will be a DISASTER. BLO ME
    Can't imagine that many mortifieds. They used to get 75 or 80 mortifieds at Volusia during Speedweeks and it would sometimes take 45 minutes to run a heat race or B-main and it'd be 1:30 AM or later before we would get back to Port Orange.

The Chili Bowl runs a regular program with around 80 different cars a night for 4 nights straight. They start hot laps at 5 pm and it's usually 10 pm or later before the A-main is completed. I can't fathom trying to run over 100 cars in one class in one night, especially mortifieds. Then you've got the late models, too. Yikes!

anyone knowwhy they areonly selling tix for fri&Sat no tix for Thurs??

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    The name of the place in Champaign, Illinois you mention was PoBoys. It was a couple of miles off The University of Illinois campus and when I was in school we would go down there on Sunday evenings after a weekend of partying and get ribs hoping it would get us feeling better before 8 o'clocks on Monday morning. It was a small place and there was a line out the door almost all the time. Most everyone got their food to go. Best BBQ I've ever had. Period. I'd bet the owner spent but very little on advertising. It was known far and wide.

Can't imagine that many mortifieds. They used to get 75 or 80 mortifieds at Volusia during Speedweeks and it would sometimes take 45 minutes to run a heat race or B-main and it'd be 1:30 AM or later before we would get back to Port Orange.

The Chili Bowl runs a regular program with around 80 different cars a night for 4 nights straight. They start hot laps at 5 pm and it's usually 10 pm or later before the A-main is completed. I can't fathom trying to run over 100 cars in one class in one night, especially mortifieds. Then you've got the late models, too. Yikes!

Especially on a 1/5 mile track and people desperately wanting to make the show. Should make interesting though.

I think I would be very skeptical of this right now, all these cars entered in three days and the biggest dirt late model race in the country only draws 100 cars or so now, so I will have to see some more info before I really believe it. They do not have enough time to run all this in the time they have announced and I also think that the car count will be low due to the fact that it is after PRI and also too close to Christmas. I just think are trying to hype it up early as ticket sales are not going like they thought. JMO

i bet they have them signed up. theres tons of racers in stlouis and illinois area quickeasy trip formost. much lesstravel time than to eldora plus onsmaller track theyall think they gotta chance
    Last edited by cgrace; 03-18-2016 at 09:25 AM.

I'm not sure why the car counts are so hard to believe. An event like this hasn't happened in 34 years. Between Highland, Pevely, Belleville, Tri-City, Macon, Quincy alone there has to be 30+ locals from the STL area running it. Add in out of town local drivers wanting to be apart of history, regional stars wanting a shot at 20k, and national guys intrigued by the money and lure of this huge event. Moyer JR, Pierce, Shirley and others have already announced they'll be there. On the mod side, 250 is very well attainable. DoD's hype and coverage of the event will only help as well. As far as time goes, I think they'll be fine with the format they're using. Only running 100 mods and 100 lates Friday and Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan21mid View Post
    I'm not sure why the car counts are so hard to believe. An event like this hasn't happened in 34 years. Between Highland, Pevely, Belleville, Tri-City, Macon, Quincy alone there has to be 30+ locals from the STL area running it. Add in out of town local drivers wanting to be apart of history, regional stars wanting a shot at 20k, and national guys intrigued by the money and lure of this huge event. Moyer JR, Pierce, Shirley and others have already announced they'll be there. On the mod side, 250 is very well attainable. DoD's hype and coverage of the event will only help as well. As far as time goes, I think they'll be fine with the format they're using. Only running 100 mods and 100 lates Friday and Saturday.
    Oh, it's believable, for sure. That's what's bothersome.

The DOD coverage will have to be 24 hours! Sounds like a fun couch potato weekend.

So now some are saying 250 mortifieds, could be a record number of spinouts. Considering it's just 150 miles from home I'll wait until Fridays program has been completed to make my decision on whether to drive down Saturday.

By looking at the schedule of events at http://www.gatewaydirt.com/event-inf...ule-of-events/, they will be down to 100 mods and late models racing by Friday and Saturday..

I'll look forward to this in the month of December... otherwise bring on the summer!

The mods will put on a great show, I would bet a bunch of the USMTS type guys will come over from the Kansas City area. That side of the state mods out number late's 3:1. They usually are fast and put on a good show.

People are still so negative on the mods. Man, anymore, they are right there on putting on a good show.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Agree with CNB on that for the most part, but a lot of "local" modifieds spin out a lot when trying to hang with the big dogs. I think you'll see a lot of "locals" here racing just because they'll have a chance to hang with the big dogs and it's December, nobody else has anything going on. Looking forward to watching online.

Somewhere around half the cars will be done after Thursday. The general public cant get in to watch qualifying on Thursday anyway. It wont be that big of a deal. Do some research. Sometimes it helps.
    Last edited by FourDeepInTheFluff; 03-18-2016 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Agree with CNB on that for the most part, but a lot of "local" modifieds spin out a lot when trying to hang with the big dogs. I think you'll see a lot of "locals" here racing just because they'll have a chance to hang with the big dogs and it's December, nobody else has anything going on. Looking forward to watching online.
    And those guys will be done thursday night geuss what alot of the locals are the big dogs harrisonn hoffnans long walsh walsh all locals

No $hit self-proclaimed Gateway Nationals Sherlock spokesperson old fan, that is why I put "locals" in quotes. To me, "locals" aren't your USMTS cars. I don't mean local to the area, I mean drivers that are every Friday/Saturday nighters at the same tracks all year. A dude that lives in BFE Iowa and runs BFE county speedway every weekend and has 3 kids and works for UPS 60 hours a week and doesn't have custom made mudcovers or a full wrap on his car, is my idea of a local.

Seems odd they aren't selling tickets to the general public on Thursday. I didn't believe it so I looked on their site, and there it says they won't be selling tickets on Thursday but pit passes will be available. So does anyone have a clue why an event wouldn't sell tickets to the general public???

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post

Poboys thats it... Place was the best, Now i live 1/2 a block from it and is closed.. There Ribs were the Best and the Pulled Pork S... was the best.....

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    No $hit self-proclaimed Gateway Nationals Sherlock spokesperson old fan, that is why I put "locals" in quotes. To me, "locals" aren't your USMTS cars. I don't mean local to the area, I mean drivers that are every Friday/Saturday nighters at the same tracks all year. A dude that lives in BFE Iowa and runs BFE county speedway every weekend and has 3 kids and works for UPS 60 hours a week and doesn't have custom made mudcovers or a full wrap on his car, is my idea of a local.
    I'm all in on this post. Very well said zach51 I would love for nothing more than have a Local Driver Win a Big race or even qualify for the feature.