Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Carson might have extended himself a little too much but he did take atomic in a new direction and it worked. He was a great Booker and loved the fans and racers alike. Wish he would come back. On Sundays he would take us all to the dinner bell too. He knew how to show appreciation. I miss him and his family. Loved it when he had smoky mountain and we would run atomic on Friday and smoky on Saturday. Last race i remember having two races was the trick or treat 125 on Halloween 1999. 75 laps at atomic and 50 at smoky. Them where the good old days.

I think 3 times I went there. First year was 97 and Moyer won with a broken wrist in the GVS car, then seen Bloomer win in 98, those 2 races were in late August or early September. Last time I went was a day race in March 1999, think Eckert won that one.

I55 is a lot like Atomic was

70's threw 90's videos can be found here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JG3NSNyBrLk1qf

There are 88 videos of just Atomic in the play list / https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._OMdoeNm_SZybA

I was there 1 time, probably in the last few years it was open. Day races, sucked. McDowell won both days and I got soaked going to my seats on the backstretch by the water truck. LOL!!!

I would park my truck on the westbound shoulder and watch the races from my cab.... did that several times until the cops got savvy and started ticketing guys who did the same.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Good an bad memories, the good we wow a HAT race there, the bad we got a $2500.00 bad check from Carson! That was with Ray Cook

Atomic was my favorite track, saw some great SAS and HAT races there. Leebo and I used to make about 6 trips a year to E Tenn for Atomic and Bulls Gap. Mr. Turner had The Gap back then and it was great.

Atomic was my favorite track, saw some great SAS and HAT races there. Leebo and I used to make about 6 trips a year to E Tenn for Atomic and Bulls Gap. Mr. Turner had The Gap back then and it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    After looking at the history link on dod, my first time was 2000. They had 2 one day shows.

Who was running it then?
    Carson Branum ran it then.

Tazwell is my favorite track because of the high bank's and speed

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...speedway_x.htm

Mr. Adams just wasn't the right guy for Atomic and he took the money and ran.

It was heart wrenching for me. I never want to lose a track but Atomic held a lot of special memories for me. It was the last place I was able to have my dad at for one of our races. I saw so many great shows there. And I agree Carson was quite the show man. Anyone remember the armored truck as a pace truck? Brilliant. Ahead of his time.

I was at one of the last big races there I was sitting in the reserved seating below the control tower LOL I'LL NEVER FORGET HOW THE STAND ' S WOULD SHAKE (kinda scary at the time )

Quote Originally Posted by gorj View Post
    Those were the good ol days....the guy that owns the gap now has ran it into the ground... waiting for it to close next...sad