Default Mountain Motor Speedway

Does anyone know if Mountain Motor Speedway in Isom KY is still open?

as far as I know its not open. I was told that in the past the one that leased the place for the drag strip that they had to ATEMPT to run at least 3 races on the dirt track.
    I was told not long ago that it's up for lease this year.
    Might have something to do with the bad accident last year on the drag strip.
    Not sure about any of this,just what I've herd.

This is the track I went to as a kid. Grew up watching Eddie Carrier Sr. race there. The first time I ever saw Freddy Smith and Bloomquist was when they came in for a $10K race, which was a big deal back in the late 80s and early 90s. I think Smith was in an L.A. Gear car? And Bloomquist was in the old number 18. Of course one of his biggest sponsors, Bob Miller, lived one county over in Knott county.

I loved that track. Me and some friends would drive 2 and a half hrs to watch...I thout it was cool to see a train go by plus there was only a wall on the front stretch

Thanx MEE & NormP for answering my question

I grew up at Mountain Motor, my best buddy growing ups dad ran it in its heyday.. I worked there as a teenager as well.. As far as I know there are no plans to open it.. Its a great place to watch a race, as a kid it was a hotspot for dirt late model racing.. Several things are hurting its chances.. Coal industry is pretty much shut down (majority of people in this area made there living from coal) too many tracks in the close area.. heck there is a track just a few miles up the road (that isnt open anymore) I would love to see someone that loves the place get it and put new clay on it and run it like it needs to be ran..

I remember the first time I ever saw Bloomquist was at MMS,here came a youg man with long hair and a pickup and open trailor.I saw him walk out on track in turn 3&4 and get some dirt-clay and smell of it.People including myself laughed.When the night was over he left with the money.

That track was also the first place I ever saw Jeff Purvis ,Freddie Smith,Blackjack Boggs,and a lot more.
    How could anyone ever forget the local driver that they put the bounty on !!!!!
    Walter (Peg) Combs.

Those were the good ole days.

Quote Originally Posted by MEE View Post
    I remember the first time I ever saw Bloomquist was at MMS,here came a youg man with long hair and a pickup and open trailor.I saw him walk out on track in turn 3&4 and get some dirt-clay and smell of it.People including myself laughed.When the night was over he left with the money.
    Those were the good ole days.
    Probably the same night I saw him for the first time. The $10K Mountain Heritage Dirt Classic or whatever they called it in conjunction with the Mountain Heritage Festival.

Lots of battles between Eddie Carrier Sr. and Paul Harris, Junior Banks, a bunch of others. Eddie Carrier Junior was running a modified that looked just like his dad's late model.

I lived on the other end of route 7 towards Blackey and had to be home by 2 AM when I was in school so if the races got out early enough me and my friends would hang out at Childers for a while afterwards.
    Last edited by NormP; 03-25-2016 at 04:58 AM.

We,re about to tell our age.LOL
    !!!!! LOL.
    I really don't remember much about the race,at that time I was watching some thing else.
    It did not have 4 wheels but it sure got around good. LOL
    Last edited by MEE; 03-24-2016 at 08:18 PM.

was walter combs related to d1ck1e combs. we ran with him at rockcastle and a few other tracks...thx

Well Mountain motor IS GOING TO OPEN. They have got the track looking good and doing a lot of updates on the whole place.The state has redone the road going over the hill and put a bridge in. I think they are gonna try to run 6-17,a BOB race.
    That's the night before the Walter Peg memorial race at 201.
    smith 19.
    to your question no I don't think they were related.

Yes, Mt. Motor is trying to open. Tony Sturgill is the promoter and they have a facebook page with pics of the track and the work they are doing. (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ie Combs and Walter Combs were not related, but were both good drivers with "Peg" being a local hero with a lot of wins!! (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ie was also an exciting driver in his own right.

They're scheduled to open Saturday June 4th with racing for all classes: Super Late Models, Open Wheel Modifieds, Bombers and 4-Cylinders.

Friday June 17th will be the $3,000-to-win KY MIST MOONSHINE 30 sanctioned by the Iron-Man Mountain Championship tour.

There is pics and info listed on their Facebook page.

thanks guys...