Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Virginia Motor Speedway

I have never been to VMS and I am thinking about heading down ( 4 hours one way ) this Saturday. I believe this is the first time in a few years that their big race will go head to head with not only the WoO but also the LOLMS with the rescheduled Brownsburg race. That being said, will they still get a decent car count? I know it is an Ultimate sanctioned race, but was not sure how many drivers from both the south and the Mid-Atlantic region will support it? I have seen pictures and heard it is a beautiful facility.

I think it will be a good show worth the trip. Theres a lot of good regional drivers in the area that should be there

Thanks, that was what I was thinking as well. I am sure there will be drivers there that I don't normally get to see race and I always like seeing a new track for the first time.

Yeah that place has come a long way since the 1st time i went as a kid in the late 80s early 90s. Was kind of a sh1t hole back then with low car count, but it was entertaining with the mix of cars they had. Youd have the locals plus a few Potomac regulars, and youd have some asphalt cars from Langley and Southside. They completely redid pretty much the entire facility and it looks like a different track now

I've been to this race in shorts and tee shirt but Saturday night is supposedly 28 degrees with wind. Take your long drawers!

A good hack to stay warm is the Thermocare wraps. Yes they usually have a reasonable car count, the racing is solid, and the facilities are immaculate!
    "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

"You rarely get positive results from people who do nothing but complain".

Quote Originally Posted by bonz45 View Post
    A good hack to stay warm is the Thermocare wraps. Yes they usually have a reasonable car count, the racing is solid, and the facilities are immaculate!
    And it's an ULTIMATE show.......those guys don't clown around ,they keep things moving along.

And the talent will be very good as well.........wish I could join you guys........have a wedding obligation, great, huh?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Sounds like Madden and Weaver may be there. Would love to see those 2 hit Potomac friday night also

If the icebreaker gets raind out you will prolly see more. Im thinking jd as one

BTE, That place is a BEAUTIFUL TRACK!!! But for some reason every time I plan on going it rains.... I checked the forecast and sure enough calling for rain sat...Who didn't know that Right... Like you BTE it's a 330-4hr drive pulling the camper.. In my past experience even if there a chance of rain it ALWAYS SEEMS TO DUMP IT DOWN OVER THE TRACK..So the only advice I have for ya is check out the forecast B-4 you make that trip...I hope the weather man is full of chit cause im was really looking 4ward to a BOLONGA BURGER WITH FRIED ONIONS AND CHEESE

Canceled due to weather.

VMS can't catch a break! Great folks and awesome facility.

Figures. I had changed my plans of going to Dominions opener to hit VMS. Last 3 times ive gone or even planned on going its rained. I got to see street stock practice and Covert and Davenport pull onto then immediately off the track in the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by jlacey View Post
    Figures. I had changed my plans of going to Dominions opener to hit VMS. Last 3 times ive gone or even planned on going its rained. I got to see street stock practice and Covert and Davenport pull onto then immediately off the track in the last few years
    So it's your fault???.....you are no longer allowed to go or plan to go.

Tough break for those guys again.....

As usual VMS pulled the plug too early. The rain chances are down to 30% and have gone down each day. They should have made every effort to get a big show in.

Default Virginia Motor Speedway

Thank you for everyone for your kind comments. And you are correct we can not catch a break. We were expecting what we thought might be our largest car count for a super late model special since 2000. We discussed making this decision for a long time and did a lot of research. It was not one we took lightly. We have multiple weather services that we subscribe to and we also pay for a meteorologist service and consulted with him as well. The rain / snow chance has been consistent at 40% or higher but the forecast temperatures have kept creeping downward. We are looking at temps being in the 30's during race time with 20 - 30 mile an hour winds. We will lose the families and the causal fan to those factors. The best business decision for everyone (Fans, competitors and track) was to cancel the event. We even have to think about the track surface in those kinds of temps. Even with the cancellation we have lost a considerable amount in advertising costs.

We have worked with our sponsor Aaron's to increase the purse of the June 4 USA 100 to a $20,000 to win show. We are moving the purse for the canceled race over to that race. Being that is paired with 3 other shows for the 4-race Colonial Clash mini-series it should make for an interesting race.

Thank you to all the drivers and fans that have thanked us for this decision and / or understand why we made it. You have no idea how much we appreciate it. We hope to see everyone for the June 4 Aaron's USA 100 presented by Commonwealth Motorsports.

Agreed, even IF they were able to run the race, it would only be seen by the few of us hard core fans that would sit out in the snow to watch a race- and that is not nearly enough to cover the cost of opening the gates-let alone covering a 20K to win purse. Maybe Ma nature will take her meds on time for the June race and make it a record breaking event. Hope to see ya'll there...
    "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

"You rarely get positive results from people who do nothing but complain".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Seay View Post
    Thank you for everyone for your kind comments. And you are correct we can not catch a break. We were expecting what we thought might be our largest car count for a super late model special since 2000. We discussed making this decision for a long time and did a lot of research. It was not one we took lightly. We have multiple weather services that we subscribe to and we also pay for a meteorologist service and consulted with him as well. The rain / snow chance has been consistent at 40% or higher but the forecast temperatures have kept creeping downward. We are looking at temps being in the 30's during race time with 20 - 30 mile an hour winds. We will lose the families and the causal fan to those factors. The best business decision for everyone (Fans, competitors and track) was to cancel the event. We even have to think about the track surface in those kinds of temps. Even with the cancellation we have lost a considerable amount in advertising costs.

We have worked with our sponsor Aaron's to increase the purse of the June 4 USA 100 to a $20,000 to win show. We are moving the purse for the canceled race over to that race. Being that is paired with 3 other shows for the 4-race Colonial Clash mini-series it should make for an interesting race.

Thank you to all the drivers and fans that have thanked us for this decision and / or understand why we made it. You have no idea how much we appreciate it. We hope to see everyone for the June 4 Aaron's USA 100 presented by Commonwealth Motorsports.
    One of the many reasons you are so well thought of in the sport........excellent post.

As someone who was looking forward to making my VMS debut, it was the right call by all the parties, VMS, Potomac and Ultimate. Will now plan my first trip in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecueboy View Post
    So it's your fault???.....you are no longer allowed to go or plan to go.

Tough break for those guys again.....
    Im starting to think that is the case. Im just gonna stay away from VMS since the rain seems to stay away as long as i do