Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    Maybe asphalt racing would be better for you.
    Isn't that what a lot of dirt tracks already seem like? Not that it really matters right? Why would you say that anyway, you know that I like tacky clay over dry surfaces. How does blacktop fit that description.?
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 04-26-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Isn't that what a lot of dirt tracks already seem like? Not that it really matters right? Why would you say that anyway, you know that I like tacky clay over dry surfaces. How does blacktop fit that description.?
    Because the track condition that you obviously don't like is a track that is slick from top to bottom. By the way, in case you didn't know it, this is the absolute most difficult condition for drivers because of the limited grip available. If you really want the BIG money to win, it should be hammer down all night. Any monkey wearing shoes can drive on a track where you keep it floored all the way around. Throttle control (demanded only when the track gets slick) is something that actually takes some skill.
    So when people see that you despise slick track conditions so much and prefer a tacky dirt track with maximum grip, they can only conclude that you would even MORE prefer the most possible grip there is and that is on an ASPHALT race track.
    I can completely understand if someone doesn't like a track that gets slick and ONE groove. But Brownstown was far from that last weekend and hasn't been that all year.
    Over 2000 views of this thread and many comments but only one negative about the track conditions or the racing it provided...I think that by itself says quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Because the track condition that you obviously don't like is a track that is slick from top to bottom. By the way, in case you didn't know it, this is the absolute most difficult condition for drivers because of the limited grip available. If you really want the BIG money to win, it should be hammer down all night. Any monkey wearing shoes can drive on a track where you keep it floored all the way around. Throttle control (demanded only when the track gets slick) is something that actually takes some skill.So when people see that you despise slick track conditions so much and prefer a tacky dirt track with maximum grip, they can only conclude that you would even MORE prefer the most possible grip there is and that is on an ASPHALT race track. I can completely understand if someone doesn't like a track that gets slick and ONE groove. But Brownstown was far from that last weekend and hasn't been that all year. Over 2000 views of this thread and many comments but only one negative about the track conditions or the racing it provided...I think that by itself says quite a bit.
    Very well said matt

Because the track condition that you obviously don't like is a track that is slick from top to bottom. By the way, in case you didn't know it, this is the absolute most difficult condition for drivers because of the limited grip available. If you really want the BIG money to win, it should be hammer down all night. Any monkey wearing shoes can drive on a track where you keep it floored all the way around. Throttle control (demanded only when the track gets slick) is something that actually takes some skill.
    So when people see that you despise slick track conditions so much and prefer a tacky dirt track with maximum grip, they can only conclude that you would even MORE prefer the most possible grip there is and that is on an ASPHALT race track.
    I can completely understand if someone doesn't like a track that gets slick and ONE groove. But Brownstown was far from that last weekend and hasn't been that all year.
    Over 2000 views of this thread and many comments but only one negative about the track conditions or the racing it provided...I think that by itself says quite a bit.
    Sorry but I still am convinced that this SKILL you are talking about is in reality being able to get the most traction and side bite. And the big money does just that. You are trying to tell me that a driver going faster and getting full use of a race track is a monkey, that is rediculous. I think you are insulting any driver that wants to be able to use the track surface for racing instead of spinning their tires.

And do you think that if the track was blacktop the track times would actually be faster than if this track was tacky clay. I honestly do not.

You need the track conditions to be light so that your expenses are minimized. That is the biggest part of why you defend them that way, I know that.
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 04-26-2016 at 07:28 PM.

A setup and money race.
    Duh. Are you new to the sport?

Sorry but I still am convinced that this SKILL you are talking about is in reality being able to get the most traction and side bite. And the big money does just that. You are trying to tell me that a driver going faster and getting full use of a race track is a monkey, that is rediculous. I think you are insulting any driver that wants to be able to use the track surface for racing instead of spinning their tires.

And do you think that if the track was blacktop the track times would actually be faster than if this track was tacky clay. I honestly do not.

You need the track conditions to be light so that your expenses are minimized. That is the biggest part of why you defend them that way, I know that.
    Don't take my word for it...ask anybody that has DRIVEN a dirt late model what track condition is more challenging. A drivers job is to maximize traction. The less of it the track provides, the more difficult that job becomes. I know this is hard to see from the stands...but driving in slick conditions is what separates the great drivers from the good (and I'm not the former nor the latter).
    From a setup standpoint, all the traction (I assume you mean forward bite) and side bite in the world will just give you a car that won't turn on or off the gas. There is a lot more to it than you can imagine.
    Again, don't take my word for it. Just start asking drivers and crew chiefs what is more difficult and demanding. Do it at the next race you're in the pits and let us all know your results. Or go to the tech section and ask on 4m. This is not esoteric knowledge I possess.

And yes...take any dirt track and pave it and it will provide faster lap times than the same dirt track. This has been proven over and over through history. When they put dirt on Bristol, were the late models turning faster lap times than the heavier, under-powered Cup cars? No, they were not. Dirt (no matter how tacky) can never provide the grip that asphalt can. Grip=speed. Plain and simple.
    Last edited by Matt49; 04-26-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Big money buys big engines period. I have seen poor guys win a lot on slick. Never on hammer down.

Big money aint going to buy you any components for the suspension that others don't have, unless you buy Rumley.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 04-26-2016 at 07:42 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

do you need a big money motor to win at Btown

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    do you need a big money motor to win at Btown
    Rarely....
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Nope...the man that has one the most features ever at Brownstown told me the best motor he ever had for that race track was a 386.

I will listen to Matt over anyone in this thread right now, Matt has actually, ya know, raced at Brownstown many times.
    Chris Nunn
    812-320-7435
    transitionaddress@hotmail.com

Give me black slick and smooth from hot laps on. Matt is right, its twice as hard to drive in the slick than when the track is heavy. The more money shows when the track is heavy rather than when it is slick. It is also a lot easier to pass when the track slows down.
    Follow me on Twitter@britangodsey14b

but the sprinters did and the degrees of Bristol were not the same for asphalt vs dirt http://www.motorsport.com/woo/news/o...rt-2000-06-09/

I think the race was great myself.

I agree. It would probably make my top 10 of all time. When you look at that event from beginning to the end - it was stellar. The heats and Bs were good and the feature was excellent. Who gives a flying turd what the condition of the track was? Aren't we supposed to be racing fans? I thought race fans cared about the racing. Am I wrong? Maybe there are track condition fans who don't care about racing. I assume they go pay an admission so they can look at the track and see how much moisture it has or doesn't have. Or maybe, just maybe, are we maybe just looking for something to complain about? Because from the seat I sat in the racing at Brownstown Speedway on Saturday, April the 23rd was outstanding and I have seen a few late model races over the years.

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    I agree. It would probably make my top 10 of all time. When you look at that event from beginning to the end - it was stellar. The heats and Bs were good and the feature was excellent. Who gives a flying turd what the condition of the track was? Aren't we supposed to be racing fans? I thought race fans cared about the racing. Am I wrong? Maybe there are track condition fans who don't care about racing. I assume they go pay an admission so they can look at the track and see how much moisture it has or doesn't have. Or maybe, just maybe, are we maybe just looking for something to complain about? Because from the seat I sat in the racing at Brownstown Speedway on Saturday, April the 23rd was outstanding and I have seen a few late model races over the years.
    Another drop the mic walk off post right there............thread over.

Well said
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    but the sprinters did and the degrees of Bristol were not the same for asphalt vs dirt http://www.motorsport.com/woo/news/o...rt-2000-06-09/
    I was comparing stock cars to stock cars. Winged sprints on Bristol (without dirt) would be 170+ MPH wide open all the way around the track.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    This. Is. Outstanding. Way to go, Kel.

I was comparing stock cars to stock cars. Winged sprints on Bristol (without dirt) would be 170+ MPH wide open all the way around the track.
    I would pay to see that..........
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????