Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ponderosa

It's a dang shame that the announcer Michael "Spanky" DeSpain quit announcing because of the crap that happened there Friday night OMG series sucks

I've also been going to this track for several years, and the lighting/electrical problem goes back more than last year, it's really more like 3 or 4 years that the lights have been going out. The caution lights on the track going out just started last year, but IMO there's no excuse for those things continuing to happen over and over. I applaud Jerry Denson for bringing in the big races and national series, and I know everyone wants to criticize, but someone HAS to be making money if you look at the crowds and the fact that Ponderosa keeps adding big races, I don't think you'd do that if you were losing money. We've been hearing the "adding more seating" promise for years now, but it never happens so I'm beginning to wonder if it's an empty promise so visiting fans will come back. There are sections of the wooden bench seats that are rotted out and uncomfortable, if not dangerous to sit on. Just a few hundred dollars of treated lumber would go a long way, but every year it's the same ol' splintered up boards. Other than painting the wall last year, I can't think of one thing that's been changed or added in the last 5, or really 10 years. Oh yeah, they did take the scoreboard down, which was great while it worked. When I go to tracks with facilities like Lawrenceburg or Portsmouth, it does make me wonder how Ponderosa landed a national touring series race., let alone both of them. The track can be really good and racy under the right conditions, and any track can suffer due to weather, but there is NO EXCUSE to keep having the lighting issue.

What happened with OMG that made DeSpain quit? What few times I have talked to DeSpain, seemed like a very good guy.

Ive been to alot of tracks across the country and despain is top 3 best announcers a.k.a spanky does alot of work advertising these races and when you advertise something to the fans as in heat races then the series changes everything to there liken then you pretty much feel as you wasted your time advertising he is also a fan and knows that every fan in that stand works hard for there money spent to watch every car race a heat O.M.G series stated heat races then changed format thats like owning a restaurant and advertising ribeyes special but bringing sirloin to the table and spanky prolly like the rest of us is just frustrated seeing the pond as a facility go down hill

Been going there over 40 years bad as I ever saw it. Cant blame anyone that loaded and left. Total lack of preparation. Truly a shame.

Truly a SHAME. Track condition, with all the rain not bad. Lighting issue NO EXCUSE. Having to wait in line 30 MINS to get something to drink. NO EXCUSE. ON TOP OF ALL THAT, SPANKY LEAVING NOT GOOD. HE DONE HIS JOB VERY VERY VERY WELL. BE HARD TO REPLACE HIM FOR ALL HE DONE.

Quote Originally Posted by kyboy859 View Post
    It's a dang shame that the announcer Michael "Spanky" DeSpain quit announcing because of the crap that happened there Friday night OMG series sucks
    You can't blame that track on the series. When we got there the track looked like a plowed field. That's why marlar and some of the other guys loaded up. The track actually ended up better than what we all thought it was going to be. And the reason the format changed was because of time and the weather. Ray Cook was just as aggravated as everyone on here and the racers. He just done the best he could with what he had to work with. If I was Ray I probably wouldn't schedule another race there.

I can't comment about the track last year as this was my first time going. Early on when they first turned the lights on there was a electric pole down near turn 3-4 that was flashing blue and throwing sparks. I have been to tracks that the lights went out once but three times was crazy. My biggest complaints were tow trucks never moved without being called for 3-4 times push truck was the same way. I really don't see how they can handle a WoO show being that slow. As far as guys packing Upanishad quitting I kind of don't understand there were plenty of other guys that completed the race without any issues by changing up their lines to miss the ruff

Didn't get off work in time to make the race at the Pond Friday night but from what I've been told from driver's and fans, seems as if I didn't miss much. I've also been to this track numerous times in the past 35-40 yrs. I'll just say this, with tracks closing left and right and car counts down, the last thing I want to see is another track closing. Hopefully the owners, promoters, or whomever will make the necessary changes to get this place back to where it once was.

bushwood_metal422...just for the record, Mr. Despain didn't quit at Ponderosa because of the "OMG" series as you call it. Just wanted to clear the air. Mr. Despain is a good friend to our series and helps us tremendously each season. Thanks to each and every one of the drivers and fans for the support of the Old Man's Garage "OMG" Spring Nationals Series.