Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Call me crazy, but in the instances that the big money teams run SAS, why don't they just bring a spec motor if it is better for a particular event?

I have seen Clanton run NLMS. If you have the funds, that cheap Lil motor is no big deal to carry with you. Why penalize the other guys? Makes no sense...
    That cheap lil motor is now $25k (nlms)!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    That cheap lil motor is now $25k (nlms)!
    Half a SLM
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

And there are plenty of SLM engines that are $25k. Just because a wide bore Durham 440 is $50k does not mean that every engine is that.

And the length of the straights has much less to do with it. Guys have won races in SLM with a 525 at Rome which is a half mile.

These changes were not a knee jerk. They came after thought and research.
    Last edited by flagone; 04-28-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    And there are plenty of SLM engines that are $25k. Just because a wide bore Durham 440 is $50k does not mean that every engine is that.

And the length of the straights has much less to do with it. Guys have won races in SLM with a 525 at Rome which is a half mile.

These changes were not a knee jerk. They came after thought and research.
    Correct me if I am wrong, the Rome feat was accomplished once, by a guy on a roll. A car with a higher rpm limit and much more HP is going to love to race a crate car down a long straight.

You certainly can't please everyone. It just appears the wrong crowd is being appeased here.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

We have two 421's and one 430 and have less than $40,000 in all three. Buy used stuff wisely and take care of your stuff and it can be done affordably. I know of a guy that has $22,000 in a all steel wet sump 2 barrel motor that runs for $500 a night in the affordable class. I also know of a guy that has Over $36,000 in a all steel motor he built to be able to use the bug spoiler and weight break a couple years ago. My opinion is if its a super late model race then you all run the same weight and spoiler. If you want less power then that's on you. if you wanna run a crate or 525, there are series for that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, the Rome feat was accomplished once, by a guy on a roll. A car with a higher rpm limit and much more HP is going to love to race a crate car down a long straight.

You certainly can't please everyone. It just appears the wrong crowd is being appeased here.
    mbracer, you have been a part of seeing data acquisition. How much percent throttle are the supers actually using during feature conditions? Then you could compare that with their hp/torque curve to compare apples to apples.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I cant believe guys with open motors would cry about a spoiler at rome.i guess its ok its for open motors to have 250 more hp and kick the sh/t out of these small engines on a big or hooked up track but but they are gonna sit home if they have to race a small motor on a slick track with a spoiler. Guys dont need to support these series with small engines. One more thing these weight breaks are useless cause u cant get there with these heavy engines.

Quote Originally Posted by flagone View Post
    Does anyone read the previous parts of a thread?

The SPECs and 525s had an advantage and they STILL have an advantage at tracks where they are going to come and race. The guys that have the engines are smart and are not going to bring them to places where the big HP engines have the advantage, not with an 8" spoiler or 12" spoiler or even a 22" spoiler.

fastford there are many $30,000 spec engines floating around the region.
    I was referring to the rules in post #35 , it says #1. open 2300 lbs and 8" spoiler, #2. spec 2300lbs and 8" spoiler. The spec has no relevance, there is no advantage at all. Now you could do what you want to that spec engine and call it a #4 , alum head, steel block , and get the same break as the 525 , sorry , but it just don't add up to me. and if you did have a 30,000 spec engine, it probably is not legal, so you would be better off in class # 4 .....

ive already saw that old fan, its no different than before, just 80# lighter. weight and hp pretty comparable to the 525 , why not give them the same break? which I don't know if any of this matters, im normally over 50# heavy any way, especially late summer..

I know a very notable chassis builder in lousianna that was at a seminar a few years BACK,He was ask about the 12" spoiler he said they did a test at a wind tunnel ,they bolted on 4" extension and big sides it gave the car 300 more pounds of downforce to the rear wheels.... HE SAID if possible get a engine that you can get the 12" spoiler..I do think the LEGAL,LEGAL,LEGAL ALL STEEL LEGAL LEGAL MOTORS 362 CUBIC INCH STOCK STROKE SMALL BORE COULD USE SOME HELP, NO RAISED RUNNER STEEL HEADS, AIR CLEANER STICKING A FOOT OUT OF THE HOOD MOTORS, AND NO WAY ON A ALL ALUMINUM 525 ENGINE WOULD GET A 12 " SPOILER . wouldn't everybody like a 300 pound man on your rear bumper off the corner plus those big blades the faster you go down the straight the more it pushes down...
    Last edited by crownman25; 04-28-2016 at 09:44 PM.

I think handicapping Cars is not a great idea. Someone is always going to feel like the red headed step child. With that many different class cars, it sounds like the area didn't take care of their Late model racers to well. No place to run for good money and they disappear.

bubstr crates and steel heads gonna save the south,they thought.. supers all but gone the fans just wait around for that occasionsal super race, and went it happens the fans come out... promoters try weekly deal but work there tail's off only to break even or most of the time lose money... and when supers did get to race they had to battle the 12" blades. another thing people are saying 900hp let me let you guys in on a secret lots and lots of restrictor plates are being used to kill all that hp... at alot of tracks...
    Last edited by crownman25; 04-28-2016 at 10:51 PM.