Question Elite Non Wing Sprints

Anybody on here know anything about the "Elite Racesaver 305" sprints? Good car counts? How many races on 305?

The Elite Sprint Series races predominantly in East Texas and Western Louisiana. I'm not sure whether the Elite's run crate engines or 305's or if they're injected or carbureted.

I've been told by friends that live in the East Texas neck of the woods that the car counts are fairly good and they put on a pretty good show.

That's about all I know about them.

Sure would like to see something like the Elite sprinters become a regular support class in our part of the country instead of the mortifieds, etc.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    The Elite Sprint Series races predominantly in East Texas and Western Louisiana. I'm not sure whether the Elite's run crate engines or 305's or if they're injected or carbureted. I've been told by friends that live in the East Texas neck of the woods that the car counts are fairly good and they put on a pretty good show. That's about all I know about them. Sure would like to see something like the Elite sprinters become a regular support class in our part of the country instead of the mortifieds, etc.
    They run the "Racesaver 305 w/Fuel Injection" by French Grimes. Watched a few vids on youtube, much livelier than the 602's and 604's in my opinion. All the races I saw had full fields with passing, slicing and dicing. They just retired a 305 to the Racesaver museum with 11,000 laps on it, never rebuilt and still put out like 450HP. This seems like a good idea. I liked the idea of the 602 sprints at first too, but after watching them actually race I was a little less moved. Maybe on a smaller track. Even with Liquid Lou wheeling one of them, it reminded me of a stock Briggs kart race on a 1/4 mile, all about momentum. The 305's however just react better and even sound racier. Cool thing about racesaver I learned is the purse isnt top heavy, last place gets half of what winner does. That way everybody's program can stay a little healthier and running.

http://www.elitesprintcars.com/
    Elite Sprints Non Wing Web site.
    http://www.racesaver.com/
    Racesaver 305 Sprints Rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPlMARmc9W8
    Racesaver 305 Non Wing Sprints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5jwkDJQlug
    GM604 Non Wing Sprints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX9ssJ0_oqo
    GM602 Non Wing Sprints
    Last edited by Aces&Eights; 05-04-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks a bunch for posting all the info and the video's. Really hadn't heard that much about them but you filled in a bunch of the blanks.

I would agree, the 305's look like a lot of fun and would be a great feeder division for the 410's.

Maybe they'll catch on in the Midwest/Indiana and Iowa, Wisconsin and Ohio. Illinois is a lost cause for these cars. Just too many tracks that aren't used to racing push start open wheel cars and the show suffers as a result of their inexperience and the hard core late model people don't want to see anything that doesn't have at least a couple fenders and a spoiler.

We can hope, though.

Thumbs up Food for thought

Thanks a bunch for posting all the info and the video's. Really hadn't heard that much about them but you filled in a bunch of the blanks. I would agree, the 305's look like a lot of fun and would be a great feeder division for the 410's. Maybe they'll catch on in the Midwest/Indiana and Iowa, Wisconsin and Ohio. Illinois is a lost cause for these cars. Just too many tracks that aren't used to racing push start open wheel cars and the show suffers as a result of their inexperience and the hard core late model people don't want to see anything that doesn't have at least a couple fenders and a spoiler. We can hope, though.
    I know the sprint purist will balk at this and I understand their reservations, but maybe the one thing the Northeast 602's got right was the transmission/starter deal. Might help grow the fan/racer base in non traditional sprint areas... I like DLM's, not as much as I use too, but non-wing sprints have to be the most exciting racing I've ever seen !!! If you can watch "The Dirty 30" show on Lucas oil tv and not get fired up, have your heart checked you may be dead... Or some "Loudpedal" videos on youtube, WOW!

I'm in complete agreement on the wingless sprint cars in regards to the quality of racing. The wingless cars are second to nobody. I too love the DLM's, but for sheer excitement along with what the really good drivers can do with a wingless car is at the top of the list in reference to exciting dirt racing. Watching some of the video of the 410 wingless cars carrying both front wheels a foot off the track in the middle of the corners with cars sometimes only inches away is something to behold, for sure.

As far as the purist point of view is concerned I would concur that there is a segment of the fandom that probably wouldn't accept starters, clutches and transmissions. I don't consider myself one of those. I try to keep an open mind and if something works to provide quality racing entertainment I have no problem with it.

I will say this, racing programs run by tracks and/or organizations that have a quick and efficient procedure down pat for starting and lining up push start cars will not lengthen or impair a show in the least. The Chili Bowl, Knoxville and the Oval Nationals out in Perris, California provide undeniable proof that push start cars can be run as efficiently as cars with starters, clutches and transmissions.
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-28-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Cool buzzing with energy

I'm in complete agreement on the wingless sprint cars in regards to the quality of racing. The wingless cars are second to nobody. I too love the DLM's, but for sheer excitement along with what the really good drivers can do with a wingless car is at the top of the list in reference to exciting dirt racing. Watching some of the video of the 410 wingless cars carrying both front wheels a foot off the track in the middle of the corners with cars sometimes only inches away is something to behold, for sure. As far as the purist point of view is concerned I would concur that there is a segment of the fandom that probably wouldn't accept starters, clutches and transmissions. I don't consider myself one of those. I try to keep an open mind and if something works to provide quality racing entertainment I have no problem with it. I will say this, racing programs run by tracks and/or organizations that have a quick and efficient procedure down pat for starting and lining up push start cars will not lengthen or impair a show in the least. The Chili Bowl, Knoxville and the Oval Nationals out in Perris, California provide undeniable proof that push start cars can be run as efficiently as cars with starters, clutches and transmissions.
    I agree, but where I am, push off roads and orchestrating a show around making all that happen is foreign to us. I've only ever seen 4 sprint(winged) shows in person my whole life. One WoO show at Dixie Speedway and One WoO show at Rome Speedway in the late 80's early 90's. Then I saw one USCS show at Lavonia and another at Toccoa. The show I saw at Lavonia was bad, it looked like they borrowed the cars for the weekend and hadn't read the user manuals, bad. Of course the WoO shows were spectacles to behold, but the Toccoa show was good too. Once I saw the Dirty 30 show I was a goner, before I die I'm gonna do that! I think if people around me can get a taste of what I've seen it would sell, sell big, but somebody has to go first, me. Its gonna be a minute, but I'm going to put together a Non-Wing 305 Racesaver car with transmission and starter. The cool thing is it doesnt have an external clutch, its inside this little 6 inch long transmission. The starter is tiny too and the torque tube bolts right to the end of the trans, you just have to shorten the tube some and Wahlah! your in business. Only issue is no reverse, just neutral, low and direct drive. Uses a little go kart master cylinder to actuate the clutch inside the trans. I'm vibrating with excitement and my wife is tired of me watching Loudpedal videos on youtube on the TV, but i cant help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
    I agree, but where I am, push off roads and orchestrating a show around making all that happen is foreign to us. I've only ever seen 4 sprint(winged) shows in person my whole life. One WoO show at Dixie Speedway and One WoO show at Rome Speedway in the late 80's early 90's. Then I saw one USCS show at Lavonia and another at Toccoa. The show I saw at Lavonia was bad, it looked like they borrowed the cars for the weekend and hadn't read the user manuals, bad. Of course the WoO shows were spectacles to behold, but the Toccoa show was good too. Once I saw the Dirty 30 show I was a goner, before I die I'm gonna do that! I think if people around me can get a taste of what I've seen it would sell, sell big, but somebody has to go first, me. Its gonna be a minute, but I'm going to put together a Non-Wing 305 Racesaver car with transmission and starter. The cool thing is it doesnt have an external clutch, its inside this little 6 inch long transmission. The starter is tiny too and the torque tube bolts right to the end of the trans, you just have to shorten the tube some and Wahlah! your in business. Only issue is no reverse, just neutral, low and direct drive. Uses a little go kart master cylinder to actuate the clutch inside the trans. I'm vibrating with excitement and my wife is tired of me watching Loudpedal videos on youtube on the TV, but i cant help it.
    It's a shame that you don't get exposed to this type of racing more. And the lack of organization and orchestration is usually the source of the complaints in regards to push start racing programs. If the promoter and people sanctioning the race aren't versed on how to organize the starting and lining up of the races the overall show will obviously suffer.

If you ever get the opportunity to come to Indiana for a couple of the Indiana Sprint Week events for the 410 wingless USAC National Sprint Car Series I would strongly advise you to do it. This is a very big deal in Indiana and Eastern Illinois. I would advise attending the Terre Haute and Kokomo editions of ISW. Kokomo and Terre Haute traditionally produce some of the best racing of ISW and Terre Haute is the only true half mile on the ISW schedule.

Any track you go to during ISW will have the starting of the cars and the overall fluidity of the show down pat. These people know how to run an push start show.

I wish you luck and success in your wingless racing endeavors. When you get your program up and running let us know how things are going from time to time.
    Last edited by CIRF; 04-28-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Thumbs up Oh yeah, Indiana Sprint Week is a must.

It's a shame that you don't get exposed to this type of racing more. And the lack of organization and orchestration is usually the source of the complaints in regards to push start racing programs. If the promoter and people sanctioning the race aren't versed on how to organize the starting and lining up of the races the overall show will obviously suffer. If you ever get the opportunity to come to Indiana for a couple of the Indiana Sprint Week events for the 410 wingless USAC National Sprint Car Series I would strongly advise you to do it. This is a very big deal in Indiana and Eastern Illinois. I would advise attending the Terre Haute and Kokomo editions of ISW. Kokomo and Terre Haute traditionally produce some of the best racing of ISW and Terre Haute is the only true half mile on the ISW schedule. Any track you go to during ISW will have the starting of the cars and the overall fluidity of the show down pat. These people know how to run an push start show. I wish you luck and success in your wingless racing endeavors. When you get your program up and running let us know how things are going from time to time.
    Terra haute is definitely on my bucket list, but I'm keen for Gas city and Putnamville too. Lawrenceburg looks positively scary at times to me. When it slicks off I'm cool, hammer down with a curb, I dunno.

Terra haute is definitely on my bucket list, but I'm keen for Gas city and Putnamville too. Lawrenceburg looks positively scary at times to me. When it slicks off I'm cool, hammer down with a curb, I dunno.
    We've been to Putnamville a time or two for ISW and it's a great show and a very nice place to watch a race, too.

Although not a part of ISW, the 4 Crown Nationals at Eldora should be on your list of must see races. We go over for that every year. It's the only time all year you can see the USAC National Midgets, USAC National Sprint Cars and the USAC Silver Crown cars all at one show. In fact, I would advise making the Four Crown a higher priority to attend than even ISW.

I'm almost ashamed to say I've never been to Gas City for a race. Been by the place dozens of times on our way to Eldora for the Four Crown Nationals, The World and The Dream and even pulled into the place and looked around a bit.

Tri-State down in Haubstadt is another place We've never enjoyed an ISW race but I've heard nothing but glowing reports on the racing there. The Helfrich family has a huge reputation for hosting some great racing. Haubstadt is further than Du Quoin (over 6 hours one way) for us so we'd have to get rooms for that deal. We can go to an additional race near home for what it would cost us to stay the night so that's what we do.

I'm in Illinois and smack dab in the middle of Late Model and Modified country. We see a lot "Fender Racing" in our territory and most of it is pretty good.

However, there are many of us who would love to see more Sprint Car Racing at Illinois Tracks. We often travel across the Border to the Hoosier State to watch the Open Wheel guys. Putnamville, Kokomo, and Huabstadt, are some of my fav's. This does require longer travel, and sometimes a stay over, but most always worth it. As far as Sprint Cars go, we too like the Non-Wing guys the best. The drivers of the 410 NW Sprints are probably some of the most talented wheel guys on dirt. We attended Duquoin last December and again this March and the Midgets put on a heck of a show.

Everyone has there "Top 5". Two of mine are Sprint Car races; Kokomo at ISW in 2012 when Dave Darland came from the rear like his hair was on fire to take the feature; and just last October at Wayne County Illinois at the Leffler Memorial (Midgets) where Bryan Clauson and Rico Abreau must have swapped leads 10 times in the feature.

Nothing like the Open Wheel guys!

Illinois Dirt Fans do want to see more Sprints. We just need more track promoters to give it a shot.

DDC, I'm in the same boat you are in that I too am smack in the middle of dirt late model and modified country and I feel the same as you. The tin top racing is top notch in Illinois and we attend several of the bigger shows in our area.

That having been said, I yearn for good wingless sprint car racing to be closer to us. USAC hasn't run a sprint car event in the state of Illinois for what seems like an eternity.

Farmer City and Flora tried running wingless sprints on a weekly basis and just could't sustain over the long haul. I supported Farmer City but Flora was just too far to attend on a regular basis.

It seems the midgets have gotten a foot hold here in Illinois with Macon, Belleville, Jacksonville and Lincoln hosting multiple POWRi events throughout the season. Illinois Midget Week seems to gain a little more steam every year. Fairbury, the mecca of dirt late model racing in Illinois, has POWRi midgets on their schedule for the 3rd year in a row with the last 2 years being rained out and not rescheduled.

Route 66 in Joliet was the last place I remember seeing 410 wingless sprints race in Illinois and that had to be prior to 2002 because Jack Hewitt was still racing and he sustained the injury that ended his career in July of '02.

Your right, that midget race at Wayne County last October was one of the best races of the year!!
    Last edited by CIRF; 05-03-2016 at 09:47 PM.

I'm just DEEP in Late Model country, which I still love, but the sanctions are screwing things all up with ridiculous rules. After 30 years DLM, I'm excited about the Non-wing sprints too.

USAC is actually coming back to Illinois this year with a 2 night show for the 410's at Granite City July 29-30. The only problem is that this is the same weekend of the Prairie Dirt Classic. I simply cannot miss the PDC. However, I do hope that they do well with the Granite City show so that USAC will keep coming back to the Land of Lincoln.

Also, Route 45 Raceway (Flora) will host a USAC non-wing race on Oct. 15. This is the last race on the schedule before they go west. And then the following Saturday, Oct. 23rd, the Midgets will race the Leffler Memorial at Wayne County again this year.

I really hope the Illinois USAC National Sprint Car shows do well and pave the way for other tracks in Illinois to host the USAC sprinters in the future.

At this point I'm torn as to whether to do the PDC or the Granite City USAC show. We've been to a bunch of PDC's and those shows are always very good but the lure of the wingless 410's is equally as compelling.

We'll have to see how the weather looks that weekend since Fairbury is about 1/3 the distance as Granite City is. I reckon that weekend will remain a TBA on our calendar.

One thing is for sure, the Gundaker's will provide a facility that will have the potential to provide great racing for the USAC boys.

Thumbs up

I really hope the Illinois USAC National Sprint Car shows do well and pave the way for other tracks in Illinois to host the USAC sprinters in the future.

At this point I'm torn as to whether to do the PDC or the Granite City USAC show. We've been to a bunch of PDC's and those shows are always very good but the lure of the wingless 410's is equally as compelling.

We'll have to see how the weather looks that weekend since Fairbury is about 1/3 the distance as Granite City is. I reckon that weekend will remain a TBA on our calendar.

One thing is for sure, the Gundaker's will provide a facility that will have the potential to provide great racing for the USAC boys.
    I bet 410 Non wing would be awesome at FALS, that place looks awesome.

I bet 410 Non wing would be awesome at FALS, that place looks awesome.
    A&E, we were at Fairbury the last time 410 wingless sprints raced there. It's been many years and IIRC they put on a pretty good show. However, I'd take the wingless 410's at Kokomo over Fairbury any day. Nothing against Fairbury but of the two bull rings I think Kokomo is a better venue.

They've run the midgets at Fairbury too but it's also been a while. Jack Hewitt was still actively driving the last time they raced the midgets at Fairbury and Jack hasn't run a midget since 2002. I think the sanction was MARA the last time the midgets raced at Fairbury. MARA was the predecessor to POWRi.