Default Another Eldora Question

Has Eldora ever ran weekly Late Model shows? If so, about when did they stop doing this? I know Eldora almost has only special events but do see a few dates on their schedule which would be considered regular shows where they have Eldora stocks and compacts. They do have season champs for Late Models but guess they only actually run them when the ALMS stops by and the couple crown jewels they run each year. Was just curious as I'm from the deep south and don't actually know a lot about the tracks history other than the crown jewel events. Wouldn't think they ever have a problem pulling late models on more weekend shows if they wished to.

Thanks

They went to more specials only schedule probably 15 yrs ago. Earl used to run pts between Mansfield, millstream, and Eldora back in 80s. Was lates, stocks and think 360s.

Way back in the late '60s Late Models were part of the regular Sunday afternoon program. Guys like Ralph Latham, Chuck McWilliams, Larry Pendelton Larry Freeman and (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Dunleavy were in the DLMs of the day, new big block Chevelles, Hemi Chargers, big block Torinos, etc. Also part of the show were the non-wing Sprints, early Sportsmen (flathead and inline sixes in the pre war coupes/sedans) that I ran, and the hobby cars. Some of the best racing I ever saw or participated in. Grandstands were like a buck and pits were $2 or $2.50 and the purses were about what today's are. No wonder it was fun.

Ooops....meant Richard(or not a nice word) Freeman,not Larry. Anybody that was around mid Ohio racing back then would remember him and that big old '63-1/2 Galaxy that regularly kicked the shorter Chevelles' and Camaros' backsides at Columbus and Kil Kare on the pavement. Didn't run a lot of dirt but ran well on it with the same car. Larry Freeman was no relation but a guy who was a whiz with Mopars and helped me sort one out when I was drag racing in California.

I think if they ran LM weekly they would struggle to get 15 cars or even 20 cars. It comes back to the same old argument of its just too hard on motors to race weekly. The same 1-3 guys would be winning because they have the backing to do so. Best thing to do is leave it the way it is. Its a gathering place. Kinda like a Woodstock. There's that one certain place that everyone goes to and all the big stars are there.

that and having Florence and Oakshade to name a few to compete with

I don't really see the upside in running late models weekly.I think it works out for them to basically have mostly special shows.Where else can you see the Top Late Models twice a year, World of Outlaws sprints, All Star Sprints, USAC Sprints, USAC Midets, USAC Silver Crown, Big Block Mods, ALMS Late Models, UMP Mods, 360 Sprints, Stocks, Compacts. And then the NASCAR Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by jp631989 View Post
    I don't really see the upside in running late models weekly.I think it works out for them to basically have mostly special shows.Where else can you see the Top Late Models twice a year, World of Outlaws sprints, All Star Sprints, USAC Sprints, USAC Midets, USAC Silver Crown, Big Block Mods, ALMS Late Models, UMP Mods, 360 Sprints, Stocks, Compacts. And then the NASCAR Trucks
    Oh I agree that it works for them. I was just curious about the past history of the place. Was mainly curious if they ever did run weekly shows and when. Didn't think about the place being hard on motors running weekly. Eldora is definitely not hurting and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.