Default The Racing World Loses Another Legendary Champion

For those who don't frequent the late model gossip board we wanted to call attention here to the passing of a great driver and USAC stock car legend, Mr. Don White.

Don was the winningest driver in USAC stock car history with 53 total wins. He is the winningest driver in the history of The Milwaukee Mile and is a 2 time USAC stock car champion (1963 & 1967). Don won a whole bunch of races driving cars owned and prepared by another legend, Ray Nichols

I had the honor of watching Don White compete at The Springfield Mile later in his career. Don is one of my all time favorite drivers. Don was as good as anyone ever has been or ever will be in a stock car, and that includes all of the NASCAR greats.

REST IN PEACE MR. WHITE. Our condolences go out to Don's children.

Here's a real good article about Don White. He was an old school good old boy above all a great guy.

http://www.arcaracing.com/articles/1...l-at-the-wheel

Good read Clayton, thanks for posting.

Don White was as smooth on the dirt as anyone I've ever see. I never remember him turning or wrecking a guy to advance his position or win a race. As much as he won I'm sure it happened but I never saw it or heard about it.

As much as I've read over the years about Don I never knew he raced on the beach in Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Good read Clayton, thanks for posting.

Don White was as smooth on the dirt as anyone I've ever see. I never remember him turning or wrecking a guy to advance his position or win a race. As much as he won I'm sure it happened but I never saw it or heard about it.

As much as I've read over the years about Don I never knew he raced on the beach in Daytona.
    I actually saw him driving sprints at Terre Haute. He flipped that day.

I interviewed him during one of our specials when I was the PR/advertising guru at Capital Super Speedway ( Oregon, WI) during the'84 season.

I spotted him in the granstands and he was reluctant to say much saying no one would remember him. When I introduced him the crowd gave him a warm welcome... he was surprised at the response.

Great man... great racer. RIP Mr. White you gave us a lifetime of memories.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I interviewed him during one of our specials when I was the PR/advertising guru at Capital Super Speedway ( Oregon, WI) during the'84 season.

I spotted him in the granstands and he was reluctant to say much saying no one would remember him. When I introduced him the crowd gave him a warm welcome... he was surprised at the response.

Great man... great racer. RIP Mr. White you gave us a lifetime of memories.
    Thank you immensely for sharing your experience involving Mr. White with us.

That is a memory to carry forever!! I wish I'd have been there!!

Don White provided so many of us with so many memories of the sport that we love. I know it's a cliche that is vastly overused but Don White is a certifiable legend!!