Default Ark-La-Tex: Two Late Model shows then the biggest Modified race for miles & miles!!!

At the Land of 3-wide, Ark-La-Tex Speedway!

May is Late Model month at Ark-La-Tex Speedway where there has never been a bad Late Model race, as both of our May dates feature popular mid-south Late Model series.

Then 2 weeks after the last one, we have our only June race but wow... if you're only going to run one, make it the COMP Cams Doug Murphrey Memorial $10,000-to-win Modified race!!!

www.ArkLaTexSpeedway.com

Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/Ark-La-Tex-...1681355569776/

First one is tomorrow night and the weather is OUTSTANDING!

Late Model Preview: Smart money right now is on a Timothy Culp vs. Ray Moore shootout Saturday night and why not? Culp is the latest winner of the event and the latest Pelican 100 winner. Moore is a two-time winner of the event, the inaugural Pelican 100 winner, a lap away from beating Scott Bloomquist and company at the 2014 Lucas Oil race here. And oh yea, he's the latest winner at ALT as he claimed last July's SUPR race too.

But don't think there isn't a whole bunch of others who can claim their first ever COMP Cams Super Dirt Series Ark-La-Tex Speedway win. Starting with...

Last year's runner-up Kyle Cummings. That was Kyle's second top 5 in this event and he does have a SUPR Late Model win at Ark-La-Tex Speedway as well. His team -- Childress Racing -- has a lot of laps on the track with several different top notch drivers to gather info from. Cummings scored a third at the CCSDS season opener at Timberline and is 10th in CCSDS points.

Two-time CCSDS champion Kyle Beard has a runner-up in this race too and 3 top 5 finishes as well as a top 10 in the Pelican 100. Lot of laps here himself. So far this year, he has a top 5 at the second CCSDS race at I-30 and at the co-sanctioned Bad Boy 98 where the national tour Lucas Oil Late Models headline and CCSDS join in, he scored a very respectable 13th.

Last year's CCSDS champion Jack Sullivan hasn't had much luck in this race at ALT but has a 6th out of two top 10s in the Pelican. Off to a good start this year. He won the I-30 race in April and had a top 10 at the Bad Boy 98. Currently 2nd in points and just seven points behind the leader.

I noticed Bub McCool has an open date on his schedule and he doesn't often pass up a Late Model race at Ark-La-Tex. In addition to an outstanding record in the Pelican 100s -- a win, 2 2nds and an 8th -- Bub also had a runner-up in this race in 2014 after an entertaining lead swapping duel with Ray Moore. McCool already has a MSCCS win at Whynot this season too.

Another Childress Racing driver Garrett Alberson also has to be considered a threat to win his first Ark-La-Tex race this Saturday. He was third in this event last year behind Culp and teammate Cummings. Alberson was second to Sullivan at I-30 last month and scored a 14th in the Bad Boy 98. That has him currently in 6th in CCSDS points.

2012 CCSDS champion Jon Mitchell is currently 5th in points this year. Even though he has 3 series victories on his resume and whole slew of SUPR wins, he's still looking for that elusive first Late Model win at Ark-La-Tex although he has won here in a Modified. He also has a top 5 in the Pelican 100.

The 'upstart' this year is young gun Austin Rettig from southeast Missouri. Rettig won the season opener for CCSDS at Timberline, finished 3rd at I-30 and qualified 18th for the Bad Boy 98. He will bring the series point lead with him into this week's action. Look for car #94!

Add to that the following... Oklahoma's Shannon Scott had a 4th in this race last year. Little Rock's Tommy Surrett had a 4th in 2014 and a 3rd in 2013. He led a lot of laps in 2013 until Wendell Wallace made a 3-wide pass on Surrett and Mississippi's Ross Camponovo to take that win. Camponovo ended up 2nd. Former Modified track champion BJ Robinson has had a 3rd in this event will be in David Peterson's #1 Saturday night. Hunter Rasdon comes into the weekend third in points after starting things off with a 2nd at Timberline. In addition to his Late Model laps here, Rasdon has a runner-up in the Doug Murphrey Memorial. 7th in points is Houston-area Late Model racer Austin Theiss (pronounced 'Tice'). He a had a top 5 at Timberline and although his Late Model time here is limited, he also has laps in Mods and Limited Mods at ALT.

I could go on for a while! The average car count for these 5 CCSDS races so far is **33 LATE MODELS** which is exactly what we got last year... so I'll just leave at that.

current top ten in COMP Cams SDS points:

1 Austin Rettig 348.00
    2 Jack Sullivan 341.00
    3 Hunter Rasdon 332.00
    4 Kyle Beard 322.00
    5 Jon Mitchell 316.00
    6 Garrett Alberson 311.00
    7 Austin Theiss 308.00
    8 Chandler Petty 291.00
    9 David Payne 282.00
    10 Kyle Cummings 280.00
    Last edited by hook; 05-08-2016 at 09:25 AM.