Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You lost me on that one a25rj lol

Quote Originally Posted by hunterracing View Post
    You lost me on that one a25rj lol
    LOL...I didn't proofread...see if it makes sense now.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    I'll attempt to explain part of my reasoning. Of the several drivers I have crew chiefed for, NONE have been able to keep the car on the bars at all times. There has always been 2-3 inches of spring compression past ride height. With that said, with the car on jack stands, on a short lr spring, and you let it down off the jack, you get that CLANG, when the spring hangs up momentarily on the upper seat. I know its instantaneous and ie believe it slightly disrupts the loading and ie traction of the lr. Can it be proven......don't know....it seems logical or its just one of my little quirks. I don't see how a spring flopping around could ever be a good thing.
    I'm agree. Spring flopping around can't be good. Use these and you'll never have the CLANG problem again:
    https://www.allstarperformance.com/p...LL64201&add=no
    We use one on the RR and one on the 5th coil. Yes your 5th coil will completely unload under deceleration and do this same CLANG thing on the race track. We finally noticed pretty severe wear on the coil-over adjuster nut that lead us to this conclusion but a Go-Pro would probably tell the tale. We don't use one on the LF because the spring is pre-loaded about 1/2 inch at full drop :-) That's another benefit of running a softer LR.
    2-3 inches of LR spring compression past ride height under racing conditions should put that car straight into the wall. Not questioning what you're saying but are you sure that isn't from weaving around under caution to work the tires? The LR is the one shock that I never pay attention to the travel indicator for this reason.

How soft are you talking on lr there some say 175 is soft but goin to 150 or even 125 would be loaded so much even at full drop correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    I'm agree. Spring flopping around can't be good. Use these and you'll never have the CLANG problem again:
    https://www.allstarperformance.com/p...LL64201&add=no
    We use one on the RR and one on the 5th coil. Yes your 5th coil will completely unload under deceleration and do this same CLANG thing on the race track. We finally noticed pretty severe wear on the coil-over adjuster nut that lead us to this conclusion but a Go-Pro would probably tell the tale. We don't use one on the LF because the spring is pre-loaded about 1/2 inch at full drop :-) That's another benefit of running a softer LR.
    2-3 inches of LR spring compression past ride height under racing conditions should put that car straight into the wall. Not questioning what you're saying but are you sure that isn't from weaving around under caution to work the tires? The LR is the one shock that I never pay attention to the travel indicator for this reason.
    Aaahaa.....that will definitely fix the clang! We had a set on the last Rocket I crewed on but they weren't that long. Have they been out that long, I usually don't miss those type of things. My "library" stays up to date with the newest catalogs (its about kneehigh now,lol).

As far as the lr compression, you may be right. I guess I need to get the gopro hooked up. I haven't crew chiefed in year and a half, but I am in the middle of putting 2 cars together right now, a bwrc and a local built experimental car. It has a nascar style front end so we'll have to wait and see if it holds any promise.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Longer spring same rate same darn thing. Longer spring less rate= car doesn't fall as easily, stays loaded, helps keep car on RF for corner entry blah blah blah. Throw a 125-150 on and keep 100-200lbs loaded at full hike and you're good to go. (Mic drop)
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Your a crew chief? Is that a paying position where you are?

As for the clang, zip tie the spring to the seat and it wont fall off and have to re seat itself. There should be no hang up. Sounds like your running lr spring and shock behind and a coil over kit on it? Ive never had a slider on the lr that would or could hang up on anything, whers or bsb.

Your 20 inch spring with the same rate on the lr will hang just as free as the shorter one did so it wont change your misfit of parts.
    He's clearly talking about the UPPER seat "clanging". Obviously everybody wire ties their springs to the lower seat but if it comes off the upper, you're going to have this problem unless you use a take-up spring or something like the AllStar part that I linked him to.

Your a crew chief? Is that a paying position where you are?

As for the clang, zip tie the spring to the seat and it wont fall off and have to re seat itself. There should be no hang up. Sounds like your running lr spring and shock behind and a coil over kit on it? Ive never had a slider on the lr that would or could hang up on anything, whers or bsb.

Your 20 inch spring with the same rate on the lr will hang just as free as the shorter one did so it wont change your misfit of parts.
    Please pm me your phone number so I can forward it to Mr. Link. Im sure he would like to discuss the $5000 set of shocks he sold me that you refer to as a "misfit of parts". Thank you.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

most people zip tie the spring on the RR to the cup on the TOP.. Its not needed by design on the LR because of the way most sliders are made. There are a few like allstar and afco with short upper spring cup seating areas and those need the spring zip tied to it and it runs smoothly up and down the slider shaft.. there would be no clang.

matt 49, Sorry bud this is the mod forum, you clearly don't know much about mods. a coil over slider protector isn't going to change much if anything on a lr slider, modifieds run 5 inch springs and most rules say one spring so no take up spring is allowed.

Everybody doesn't have that problem. To have that problem on the lr you would have to have over 2.5 of free hanging spring in your lr.

Now if he is running a coil over kit those do clunk on some because of the misfit around the shock eye nut, but most people run those on the rr like I already said in the post you quoted.

There have never been any clunks from free hanging springs on my car, its a matter of fitting your parts up right so when the upper spring cup on the rr goes to re seat it does so properly every single time. I modified my upper spring cups its not rocket science to figure out what is needed, to prevent the hang up.
    Correct...not going to work on a slider...my bad.

712 867-5309

Im not sure why he would want to discuss anything with me, Ive never heard of him and could care less. Im more than positive by reading your posts on here its end user error on your part.

Again Ill ask is crew chief a paid position where you live? Where is that by the way?

Around me a lot of the top IMCA modified teams have paid crew chiefs and crew members.
    There is no end user error on my part. I don't have those issues, been using longer springs and/or a stacked setup for several years. My post was sarcasm at its finest.

You let the cat out of the bag, when you admitted you don't know who Mr. Link is! I doubt there's very few racers who don't know who he is!
    Last edited by a25rjr; 05-14-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I typically don't agree with SCD, but I have to here. I've been doing this foolishness for almost 30 years. I have never heard of this "Mr. Link" either. And to me, $5K for a set of shocks for a Mod is excessive.
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

"Mr. Link" is Jerry Link. He's pretty well known and highly regarded in the shock world. Knowing or not knowing who he is doesn't really mean much though.

LOL Ok, thanks
    Bill W. and Dr. Bob......who could have known.

Matt49. Thanks for posting that information. Only Link I know about is Jack Link the jerky guy. Lol JMO.

Sorry guys, Jerry is known more in the late model circles. When he was at Shy Suspension, his shocks won a ton of races and championships. Now he is the director of Afco's shock program. He can offer you mod guys a ton of info for your shock program.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Not to change the subject...although the original topic has run its course...
    Does anybody know anything about his new "Afco Technologies" shocks? The website says to call for more information but I'm not really in the market for new shocks, just curious about them.

Anyone played with bumpstops on a mod and how soft spring should it be to play with it without loosing drive off corner I know use to some would only let 2inches shaft showing

$5000 set of shocks? You better have at least 12 of them for $5k or you're an idiot
    When it seems all eyes are on you when you're wearing a new pair of jeans you wonder why everyone thinks you look so darn good in them. When taking them off you notice the sticker still on the pant leg.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMentally View Post
    $5000 set of shocks? You better have at least 12 of them for $5k or you're an idiot
    Go price 6 shocks from Ohlins, JRI, or Penske......that's what you'll pay!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

If you race IMCA, you can get them for $50/ea