Default Starter problems

I have a winters reverse mount bell housing and starter set up. I am running a Bert flywheel right now but had same issue with my they motor and falcon flywheel.

The issue is the starter will not engage most of the time, just spins/grinding noise and no motor engagement. I replaced the spring on the idler when I changed motors and same issue with the new motor... Acts like an old school standard starter that needs shimmed different. Anybody else have this issue? Just replace all idler gear parts, shaft, bushings?

This bell housing has been cracked and rewelded, but worked fine after reweld for a while.

how much space between flywheel and starter?

sounds to me like the bendix is not shoving the nose gear out properly.
    might pop off the solenoid cover and clean the plunger, and make sure it moves freely. take some emery clothe and clean electrical contacts while you are in there.
    make sure any drain holes are siliconed up, especially ones that are on top of starter.
    Most of these are a variation of a Toyota truck starter, but we are mounting it upside down, so the drain holes are up which allows debris inside the starter easier.
    might do a bench test and measure how far it is coming out with no load.
    then set the starter on bench with starter gear down on bench and retest and see if it is coming out the same amount. the weight of the starter should be a bit more than trying to push out gear.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Were you running a shim between crank and flywheel that may have got left out?

A second thought. Did you switch to a different midplate, maybe a thicker one?

LOL we used the toyota starter from like auto zone or something last time, actually took the clip off the end of the shaft, pulled the gear / bendix out 1/4" inch and welded it on, Works great.

Seems like on some setups the bendix cant move far enough to engage fully, and as soon as it encounters a load it kicks out and spins, very aggrevating.

Just say no...

Default varoom

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    LOL we used the toyota starter from like auto zone or something last time, actually took the clip off the end of the shaft, pulled the gear / bendix out 1/4" inch and welded it on, Works great.

Seems like on some setups the bendix cant move far enough to engage fully, and as soon as it encounters a load it kicks out and spins, very aggrevating.
    did you take out the springs in the bendix head?
    there are 2 that are need of removal. they return the starter gear back against the case. in our application that return is not needed, and the springs need to be removed.

Ya know i cant remember, that starter has been in his car for 3 years now. Its been a good one, knock on wood...

Just say no...

if you take started out of car and hold in in your hand horizontally like it is in car, then flip it vertically with the gear down, the gear should flop out with a clunk and go full stroke (like it is going to start motor)

Call Kevin at DBR starters in Tennessee. They make a great starter and he is very good to help trouble shoot problems... (931) 676-7290. You may have to leave a message. He is good about getting back with you.
    Doc
    Facebook.com@DowdyRacing

We had a welded up bell housing that did this. We replaced the starter (new one), tried shimming the bell housing, tried shimming the flywheel, cleaned the idler assembly and ran it "dry", and then lubed the idler assembly. We replaced the bell with a brand new one and haven't had the issue since.

You may want to borrow one from someone to see if it fixes your issue before spending $500+ on a new one.
    Last edited by ledfootproducts; 05-12-2016 at 02:06 PM.
    Follow us!

I think most Starter issues are really electrical issues.
    These starters need a lot of amps very quickly to push the idler gear into mesh with the flywheel. Any corroded wires and connections that aren't perfectly clean, like shiny clean, like sanded shiny clean are places where the electricity cannot travel through very quickly reducing performance.

The starters are grounded through the body too so think about the bell housing, the mid plate, the chassis as the pathway back to the battery for the electricity. Any where these are bolt to together can cause the same kind of issues together with washing the car every week and being rode hard and put up wet invites electrical issues.

Fixed it with a $2 flywheel shim. I was at .108" gap. Brinn had the best info online I found thy recommended .040-.070. Put a Bert 0.040 shim and starts like a champ. Thank you guys for the help, I've always been lucky I guess and never had to shim one or honestly even measured it.

glad you got it taken care of.