Thread: Rf shutoff

Default Rf shutoff

I might be thinking to far into this but alot of racers at our track runs 3 wheel brake all night, We're better feature time than heats mainly because we can't keep the frame out of the track when track is heavy(choppy).. the car shoves up the track entering corner.. I know 3 wheel brake will help rotate the car but will it keep frame out of track at the pivot point of the turn more so than not running shutoff..

I realize our blue front needs the raised frame rail in the worst way but what can we do for now? Run a bump .PM with ideas not real sure how to measure travel exactly when car is bottoming out.. thanks in advance guys

Hard to say for sure. Depends at least partially on the amount of anti dive. Someone with more Rocket experience can probably shed more light.

Now, if you drive the car like it is tight, tossing the RR out, that will help.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Drop spindles are fairly cheap and would help some, I think. I picked up a nearly new set for $250.00

It depends...
    One thing that I think goes greatly overlooked when discussing 3-wheel brake is that when you go to 3-wheel you're not only changing that tires braking ability but you're also changing response to any anti-dive or pro-dive built into your car.
    But in general, I don't think you're going to see much difference in RF travel if any at all.
    I was always one to say that 3-wheel brake was a crutch for a car that was too tight. That being said, now that I have the option myself, it's a nice crutch to have for a guy that tends to over-tighten his race car (that's me).

Installed drop pin spindles at beginning of year, track is long straight aways with paperclip corners so you have a lot of entry speed until the rotation point, kinda stop and rotate type of corner instead of momentum.. That's why it's critical to get the car turning at that point, frame bottoms out it pushes just enough to let the bottom open..

How about adding some rebound to left front to take some of the weight on entry and when dragging the brakes.. Or limiting strap on left front..

It's a really quick transitioning track a lot of guys that show up here have troubles adapting to the place.. On top of the choppy entry makes this adjusting things even more fun

When did a raised right frame rail become standard on a blue Rocket ? I have a chassis made in November 2010.

You should always run 3 wheel brake. Your car should be tight enough even on the slickest race track that you need to run it. I was at a seminar with Don O'Neal and Ray Cook and they both stated that if they have to turn on the RF brake their car is junk.

Also put a 1 inch roller skate wheel bump stop in the RF and it should keep the frame out of the track.

Quote Originally Posted by MBR Performance View Post
    You should always run 3 wheel brake. Your car should be tight enough even on the slickest race track that you need to run it. I was at a seminar with Don O'Neal and Ray Cook and they both stated that if they have to turn on the RF brake their car is junk.
    Is this a typo, meaning if they have to turn 3 wheel off the car is junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmod13 View Post
    Is this a typo, meaning if they have to turn 3 wheel off the car is junk.
    I don't believe so. I worked for a guy who swore if he wasn't all the way full rear brakes that he was going to the back. I'm sure it's not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post
    I don't believe so. I worked for a guy who swore if he wasn't all the way full rear brakes that he was going to the back. I'm sure it's not for everyone.
    Last quote said two different things, that's why I'm asking if there is a typo.

What I meant by that was if they had to run 4 wheel brake then they were junk. Also they said that if they had to run more than 50% front brake they weren't gonna win

Quote Originally Posted by MBR Performance View Post
    What I meant by that was if they had to run 4 wheel brake then they were junk. Also they said that if they had to run more than 50% front brake they weren't gonna win
    Sounds like a trail-brake'er (which is a good thing, obv)

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    Sounds like a trail-brake'er (which is a good thing, obv)
    Exactly. If you take a car setup for a trail braker and put a non trail braking driver in it, he'll spin it out in the pits.

If you listen closely to Bloomers victory lane interviews and dod recaps, he has said many times, he runs 4 wheel brakes. Hard to argue with his success.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I've said it in another post awhile back, if you're not a trail braker, but want to learn, shut the RF brake off.

I'm worried if I put a bumpstop on the rf the car will be to unpredictable on entry as track usually peels up and becomes choppy..should I worry about that? might try and see what the rf shutoff does for us.. also might take some lf spring out this week and run a high rebound on see how that effects the car.. kind of going for tying the front end down some..

Default Raised rail

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX10 View Post
    When did a raised right frame rail become standard on a blue Rocket ? I have a chassis made in November 2010.
    I am not sure when the last raise was but your car will have it.