Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Wrap?

Default Plastic Wrap?

Why is everyone wrapping their tires with plastic wrap? Does this actually provide a benefit or is it just a fad? You see everyone wrapping their tires when storing them in trailer as well as when they are on the car so was just curious on the reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmod5 View Post
    Why is everyone wrapping their tires with plastic wrap? Does this actually provide a benefit or is it just a fad? You see everyone wrapping their tires when storing them in trailer as well as when they are on the car so was just curious on the reasoning.
    Any dirt on the tire will draw oils out. If you treat them, it will also keep the chemicals from evaporating as quickly, lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Also keeps them out of the sun light and UV rays and etc. Just because you see a tire wrapped don't mean it's treated with dope. Most serious teams wrap their tires after cleaning and they dry just to keep them clean and protected and allows you to move the car around if needed without getting dirty. We usually leave ours on until we race, meaning we leave it on when we push or drive the car thru tech just to keep them clean.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Also keeps them out of the sun light and UV rays and etc. Just because you see a tire wrapped don't mean it's treated with dope. Most serious teams wrap their tires after cleaning and they dry just to keep them clean and protected and allows you to move the car around if needed without getting dirty. We usually leave ours on until we race, meaning we leave it on when we push or drive the car thru tech just to keep them clean.
    Yep....I watched Josh Richards team member cut off the plastic right before he rolled onto the track for qualifying.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

keyser sells it or you can get it at office supply stores

Thanks guys, just have noticed this trend here recently and didn't know if it actually was a benefit.

riddle28 just use cheap seran wrap from the grocery store it does the same thing and is cheaper.

There is UV protection in saran wrap?
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Uline sells a 1500ft roll for $20, in a variety of colors. You have to buy 4 rolls though.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Regular Saran wrap or any clear wrap isn't going to block UV at all. If that's your goal, wrap them in black plastic which is available. If you're trying to keep your tires safe from UV, keep them completely covered any time you're welding in the shop (if that's where you store your tires). Welding puts out crazy amounts of UV radiation even compared to the sun. Anybody that's ever welded without proper skin protection learned this the hard way. That is assuming they figured out that UV radiation (not visible light) is what literally burns your skin just in case the spatter didn't also get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Regular Saran wrap or any clear wrap isn't going to block UV at all. If that's your goal, wrap them in black plastic which is available. If you're trying to keep your tires safe from UV, keep them completely covered any time you're welding in the shop (if that's where you store your tires). Welding puts out crazy amounts of UV radiation even compared to the sun. Anybody that's ever welded without proper skin protection learned this the hard way. That is assuming they figured out that UV radiation (not visible light) is what literally burns your skin just in case the spatter didn't also get them.
    Good post....I think it wont be long until we will be shrink wrapping them.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Good post....I think it wont be long until we will be shrink wrapping them.
    Somebody is *definitely* going to start selling "tire wrap" and charging a stupid amount of money for it, because other stupid people will line up to buy it.

See also : "Voltage booster for MSD ignitions ! 200% HP gains !"

I always shake my head at many racers, they treat the engine or some shiny part 10 times better then they do their tires. Tires are one of the most important things on the car, they need to be washed by the next morning and properly cared for and maintained/worked on or you might as well just race with the same tires all year.

Your tire program (not talking doping/cheating them) is a big key to being successful

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    I always shake my head at many racers, they treat the engine or some shiny part 10 times better then they do their tires. Tires are one of the most important things on the car, they need to be washed by the next morning and properly cared for and maintained/worked on or you might as well just race with the same tires all year.

Your tire program (not talking doping/cheating them) is a big key to being successful
    Of all the great posts you post on here, this one has the most TRUTH ever.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

A little history to show how things change.It started in the late 90's, a tire dope company recommend wrapping after treating.You would remove the wrap,roll the tires across the driveway to get some dust on them,then hand rub it in to hide the shine that the treatment left.You would never let anybody see a tire wrapped.
    Now days pressure wash ,hand wash with a non voc cleaner, wrap with a colored plastic.Make sure everybody sees your tires wrapped.

Monkey see monkey do.

Why roll your car around the shop all week with tires you plan on running on race night? Those tires are in the shop or trailer ready to go (unwrapped).

Kinda like having "Can't Touch This" on your spoiler. Makes people feel better.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Tire Programs?

I thought most people, that i see anyway, just buy new ones every run. You dont need much of a program, cleaning wise anyway LOL.

Just say no...

let-r-eat, I for one don't worry about the UV protection aspect because i keep my tires inside so seran wrap is cheap and works for me. After I grind them I wrap them and it keeps them from drying out and getting dusty. Grind 2 tires on Sunday, wrap one but not the other let them sit in your shop until Thursday and then unwrap the wrapped one and you will see a difference in the 2.

The plastic protects against Ozone, which attacks rubber. Any electrical devise produces Ozone. Especially a welder or air compressor. Never store tires close to anything electrical.