Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Slap in the face to a racing legend in the midwest!

I was at fals last like which was great racing as always but what i heard by mike norris announcment was nothing more then bs as he said rick thomas (dirty sob street stock driver if u dont know him) has almost tied and gonna break roger longs all time wins there. I have to ask if rick is so d@mn good why dont he move up? comparing him in the same leauge to roger is a slap in the face! I know some of you will have your bs comments this is 4m after all (sure as he%# not like it once was) come on its like putting a senior football player in with 6 graders sometimes. Just so you all know i have nothing against fals nor is this a slam but bs that he can be compaired to someone as great as roger jmo.

Very true. Agree 100%

Well said gman. Long was kickin butt when I was a youngster. Most older folks will agree with you. Some of the younger generation may have never heard of him tho.

There's really no comparison between a late model driver and a street stock driver.
    8/13/16

The good thing is Kevin Weaver is one win behind Thomas so Kevin will probably have the record after all is said and done, at least for the foreseeable future.

Well, I mean wins are wins, if hes going to break an ALL TIME record, then congrats to him.

Not sure how its a slap in the face to Roger, you still have to WIN the races.
    Chris Nunn
    812-320-7435
    transitionaddress@hotmail.com

I have to agree with Chris. Congrats to Thomas. If you were to ask Roger, I'm sure he wouldn't care. He knows what he accomplished. At the end of the day he's in the hall of fame and nobody has heard of Thomas. This is a pointless Stat.

Quote Originally Posted by gman17 View Post
    I was at fals last like which was great racing as always but what i heard by mike norris announcment was nothing more then bs as he said rick thomas (dirty sob street stock driver if u dont know him) has almost tied and gonna break roger longs all time wins there. I have to ask if rick is so d@mn good why dont he move up? comparing him in the same leauge to roger is a slap in the face! I know some of you will have your bs comments this is 4m after all (sure as he%# not like it once was) come on its like putting a senior football player in with 6 graders sometimes. Just so you all know i have nothing against fals nor is this a slam but bs that he can be compaired to someone as great as roger jmo.
    All time wins are all time wins. If the speedway ever held bicycle races they would have to count them wins also IMO. Looks to me like you have 2 issues with this. You don't like Rick Thomas (alot of people don't) and you think the street stock class is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    There's really no comparison between a late model driver and a street stock driver.
    lol. class don't matter. There are plenty of "drivers" that show up to the track with a late model that shouldn't be in one nor could they win in a street stock car. There are also street stock drivers who have moved up and fared well in the late model class. Rating a driver by the class they race in is pretty immature IMO

Quote Originally Posted by blncfn57 View Post
    lol. class don't matter. There are plenty of "drivers" that show up to the track with a late model that shouldn't be in one nor could they win in a street stock car. There are also street stock drivers who have moved up and fared well in the late model class. Rating a driver by the class they race in is pretty immature IMO
    I somewhat disagree. Late Models are the headliner class for a reason. We could get into all kinds of comparisons. Some say modifieds are "harder to drive" than lates. There are, no doubt, many very talented modified drivers (many call FALS home). Are they "better" than late model drivers??? Too many variables. And, I'm not gonna sit here and say Rick Thomas is not a very talented driver. He is!...... but predominantly in the street stock class.

Roger Long raced against drivers from all across the country regularly. Can the same be said for Rick Thomas??? Oh, there may be a street stock driver or two come from a neighboring state when FALS hosts a street stock special, but there is no comparison between the talent they have raced against in there respective careers.

An analogy...

A high school basketball player may be an all stater and very talented. They deserve all the credit for achieving that status. But, do they deserve the same credit (overall) as a college player that achieves all American status???? I don't think so. The skill set and level of competition are very different..... are they not?

So, while Rick deserves kudos for his accomplishments and he will, more than likely, become the FALS most winning driver, I don't believe noting that he achieved it (predominantly) in the street stock class is out of line. It, in fact, should be duly noted IMO.

In Mike's defense, I don't think he was necessarily "comparing" the two, as much as he was noting an accomplishment at FALS. So, I hope Mike is not linked with the "slap in the face" in the title. I believe he was a big Roger Long fan himself.
    Last edited by skids; 05-23-2016 at 08:44 AM.

How many wins will be the record?
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

Holy crap people. How is this even an issue? Here we have a racer who has supported a track for 30 plus years and that's a problem? Don't we always hear about how car counts are down? All tracks need people like Rick and others who are there each and every race night.

Did anybody ever consider that just maybe a street stock is what this driver could afford without bankrupting himself? Why is this a "problem"? It's also not a problem that Roger was able to afford racing a late model either. If Rick should have moved up over his career as was suggested, maybe Roger should have moved up to sprint cars or pavement racing as well.

It doesn't matter who anybody races against to get victory totals. You race against who happens to be at a track on any given night, plain and simple.

Sounds like the posters just don't like Rick and that's ok too.

Congrats to Rick Thomas, Roger Long, Lance Dehm for being at the top of win totals at FALS. Dedication to a track and sport should be celebrated not bemoaned.

I have to admit I don't go to Fals that often maybe a couple times a year and not all the last couple of years so, for me I don't see no problem with it. I don't see in no way Mike was compairing the two. It sounds like he was just pointing out the fact how many victories Rick had and it just so happened to be Roger who he is about to pass for most victories at the track.

What's it anyone business which class Rick races in. It doesnt matter even if he had the money to move up. If he decided to keep racing the street stock class so be it.

There are going to be some upset folks when Jimmie Johnson wins 8 Cup titles.....and it will happen.

I do not have no problem with Mike. I have no problem with the street stock class at is 2 of my good friends run that class as well as a future brother-in-law. I was simply just stating how I felt about how I did not think it was right to even compare the two. I had no idea I was going to stir up a hornet's nest and for the record no I don't like Rick Thomas as someone previously stated not a lot of people do but when you see him wreck somebody that you're close to and get away with it then yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    How many wins will be the record?
    Roger Long has 66 feature wins. The end of last year Rick Thomas had 63 and Kevin Weaver had 62, Lance Dehm had 57

Quote Originally Posted by skids View Post
    I somewhat disagree. Late Models are the headliner class for a reason. We could get into all kinds of comparisons. Some say modifieds are "harder to drive" than lates. There are, no doubt, many very talented modified drivers (many call FALS home). Are they "better" than late model drivers??? Too many variables. And, I'm not gonna sit here and say Rick Thomas is not a very talented driver. He is!...... but predominantly in the street stock class.

Roger Long raced against drivers from all across the country regularly. Can the same be said for Rick Thomas??? Oh, there may be a street stock driver or two come from a neighboring state when FALS hosts a street stock special, but there is no comparison between the talent they have raced against in there respective careers.

An analogy...

A high school basketball player may be an all stater and very talented. They deserve all the credit for achieving that status. But, do they deserve the same credit (overall) as a college player that achieves all American status???? I don't think so. The skill set and level of competition are very different..... are they not?

So, while Rick deserves kudos for his accomplishments and he will, more than likely, become the FALS most winning driver, I don't believe noting that he achieved it (predominantly) in the street stock class is out of line. It, in fact, should be duly noted IMO.

In Mike's defense, I don't think he was necessarily "comparing" the two, as much as he was noting an accomplishment at FALS. So, I hope Mike is not linked with the "slap in the face" in the title. I believe he was a big Roger Long fan himself.
    We will have to agree to disagree. Nobody is debating who is/was a better driver. It's simply about WIN totals at one particular track.

please don't get me started on sports analogies used in racing.

Quote Originally Posted by CMatich View Post
    Holy crap people. How is this even an issue? Here we have a racer who has supported a track for 30 plus years and that's a problem? Don't we always hear about how car counts are down? All tracks need people like Rick and others who are there each and every race night.

Did anybody ever consider that just maybe a street stock is what this driver could afford without bankrupting himself? Why is this a "problem"? It's also not a problem that Roger was able to afford racing a late model either. If Rick should have moved up over his career as was suggested, maybe Roger should have moved up to sprint cars or pavement racing as well.

It doesn't matter who anybody races against to get victory totals. You race against who happens to be at a track on any given night, plain and simple.

Sounds like the posters just don't like Rick and that's ok too.

Congrats to Rick Thomas, Roger Long, Lance Dehm for being at the top of win totals at FALS. Dedication to a track and sport should be celebrated not bemoaned.
    I agree.....

It's a tough issue, to be sure. Should a street stock driver be recognized as the winningest driver in Fairbury history? Yes he should. Should it be noted that it was accomplished in the street stock division? Yes, each and every time there is commentary concerning the subject. Would the record mean more if the all time winner got most, if not all those wins in a dirt late model against national talent? You bet.

When you get into comparing a drivers' performance driving one genre of racecar against another then things get ambiguous. But the bottom line is numbers are numbers and if they weren't meant to be lauded or recognized then what's the point of keeping records.

We've been attending races at Fairbury since they raced the sprint cars (super modified's) and the best and most successful drivers to compete at FALS on a weekly basis was Larry Cannon, Bubby Jones and Bobby Carrington driving sprint cars. Those guys went on to win many, many high profile races and championships in high profile sanctioning bodies. Jones and Cannon both qualified for the Indy 500 back when it was the absolute epitome of racing accomplishments just to qualify but they aren't even in the conversation of the winningest drivers in Fairbury history. With that said, no one would put a local street stock driver in the same category with those 3 drivers but the street stock driver has the numbers and that is what counts in this instance and this conversation.

I am just glad we have a track, and members of the community that care enough to pull all that information together for Mike to have at his disposal. He has never compared the two he just always points out the numbers and usually after Thomas wins will ask if Dehm is going to win to keep pace. Its just some fun facts to throw out there. They have all the stats broken down by class for those that want it that way.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if Weaver had stayed local his whole career. I think it is safe to say he would be up around 100 by now.