Default O/T- Motor Oil Question

Just bought a 09 Malibu and was told I had to buy the oil from GM dealership but a friend later told me it had to be a Dexos approved oil. So my question is do you guys know what the heck I'm talking about ? What brands do y'all use or should I just go to local GM place and have them change it so I know it's the right kind ?

Maybe he meant Dextron only for the red anti-freeze or for the transmission fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Gang View Post
    Just bought a 09 Malibu and was told I had to buy the oil from GM dealership but a friend later told me it had to be a Dexos approved oil. So my question is do you guys know what the heck I'm talking about ? What brands do y'all use or should I just go to local GM place and have them change it so I know it's the right kind ?
    There is a Dexos oil. Made by Chevron I think at least. I'd go with 5w-30. That's what a Chevy Malibu site says, which is the most common oil. Unless you're talking about either Antifreeze or Tranny. Even them are pretty standard again. There's different standards on the back of the bottle or jug that they meet.

If you Google 09 Chevy Malibu, it can help you clear up anything else. Now if it still has some kinda warranty on it, then he's probably on to something.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I didn't realize an '09 would already be in that category, but my wife's 2011 Buick requires Dexos oil. I believe it's a Mobile-1 oil. It has a little "Dexos" logo on the front. They sell it at Wal-Mart, I know that for sure. Not cheap, but what is anymore? Like stated, check your owner's manual, or a GM website.

There are several name brand oils that have gained the dexos labeling ...................if the container saysn dexos or dexos approved it will satisfy gms specs .

What is dexos oil? And why do I have to use it in my vehicle?

Although it’s been five years since General Motors transitioned to its dexos oil specifications, there’s enough confusion and misinformation that we regularly receive questions from customers concerned about maintaining their vehicle warranties.

Here’s the short answer to the dexos dilemma: If you own a 2011 or newer GM vehicle, you must use a motor oil that meets GM’s dexos specifications to maintain that vehicle’s warranty

2009 wasn't even required so someone is shooting you a line. It doesn't have to be GM oil, just a Dexos oil.

the new cars like 15 says dexos I have on an 09 have not heard you need it and have one also with 367xxx miles on I used regular 5- 30 in my 09 and had no issues the 15 is a different animal esp with the smaller motor and higher revving motor and the 6 speed manual/ automatic http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/178
    Last edited by old fan; 05-27-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it hell for the last 25 years I've poured castrol 10w30 in everything I've owned and never ruined a motor but this newer model stuff ain't like the old 350 4 bolt mains the 3800's or 22r's I've been used too. Jog49, it is a rebuild with 25k miles so I'm wondering if the motor is out of a 2011 or newer vehicle reason I was told that because I've done business with this dealer many years and he's been a good friend of mine for 20+ years so I know he ain't shooting me a line of sh!? I'm going to find out if it's a different engine than originally come in car. Thanks again guys

Suppose to have more zinc in it I believe. GM recommends it in there newer motors to reduce friction, heat and helps seating the top end (cams, lifters, etc) over time. I have a 11' Impala and always had the oil changed at the dealership. I know they use Mobil one. Its priced fairly reasonable and I at least know someone certified worked on it even though it's only an oil change.

Old fan should know. He works at a parts counter.
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 05-28-2016 at 10:52 PM.

Mobil 1 oil is dexos approved. Wolfs Head makes some too, but it's got a special label, so look out for it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

have had no problems with GTX 10-30