Default Good oil for 604

I know this question will get a lot of responses. What oil are you running in your 604? I am new to crates and I'm running the suggested 15w-40 Mobil synthetic with a Wix racing filter.

This is a copy and pasted version of a sheet that goes with everyone of our engines
    I hope it helps answer some of your questions

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Common Mistakes of Using Synthetic Oil

Wanna start an argument? Just start talking about synthetic motor oils with a group of racers. You are sure to hear both testimonies and horror stories. “Synthetic oil saved my engine,” says the evangelist. “Synthetic oil blew my motor up,” says the skeptic. But who is right?

The reality is that when properly used, synthetic oil does outperform conventional oil. The key phrase is “when properly used.”

When choosing and using motor oil, here are 4 traps to avoid in order to get the maximum performance from your engine and oil.

1st Trap — Viscosity Race-1 recommends 10/40 or 15/40
    Just like location is the most important principle in real estate, viscosity is the most important principle in lubrication. Unfortunately, all oils get thinner as they get hotter. This loss of viscosity with increasing temperature is measured in a Viscosity Index. The higher the Viscosity Index on an oil, the less viscosity it loses as temperature increases. Synthetic oils feature a higher Viscosity Index compared to conventional oils, and that can allow you to run a lower viscosity grade synthetic. For example, you can switch from a low Viscosity Index conventional 20W-50 to a high-index synthetic 1OW-40; but the oil clearances in the engine must be tight enough. At .001 oil clearance per inch of journal diameter, most racing engines can run a high Viscosity Index synthetic 1OW-30. Using too thin of an oil with loose clearances will result in rod bearing failure.

2nd Trap — Oil Change Interval
    Or should we say lack of change? A common mistake when using synthetic oil is running the oil too long. Yes, synthetic oil can go longer between oil changes than conventional oil, but dirty oil is bad for your engine. Keeping dirt and fuel out of the oil is the key to realizing longer oil life. Frequent filter changes will keep your oil cleaner, and clean synthetic oil will last longer than conventional oil. The key is the frequent filter changes. This method not only saves money on oil purchases in the long run (using less oil): it also extends engine life because high-quality, clean oil lubricates better.

3rd Trap — Don't Play Chemist
    If you feel like your oil needs a bottle of additive to help it perform, then you need to get a better oil. “Miracle Molecules” in a bottle may sound great; but unless you are a chemist, you may do more harm than good.

Motor oils are complex blends of base oils and additives. Oil formulators carefully select base oils and additives so they all work together. When you add a bottle of additive, that “balance” is altered. In some cases, the change is beneficial— “l used XYZ additive and I gained 5 hp.” In other cases, the change is detrimental— “l used XYZ additive and lost 5 bearings!”

The difference is in how the bottle of additive reacts with the additives already in the motor oil. A good reaction yields favorable results. A bad reaction...

4th Trap — First Things First
    An engine needs to be properly broken-in before using synthetic oil. A high zinc, conventional oil is recommended to break in the cam, lifters and piston rings. Not all break-in oils are the same. Choose a break-in oil that does not contain Molybdenum or other friction modifiers.
    These additives can slow down the time it takes for the rings to seat. High-zinc, low-detergent and no-friction modifiers is the best way to break in a new or re-built engine and get it ready for synthetic oil.

Because synthetic oils provide performance advantages over mineral oils, avoiding these 4 traps will enable you to get maximum performance, protection and value from your engine and oil. Following these recommendations allow racers to create more horsepower, save money on oil purchases, and save money on engine rebuilds.

I once read a quote by the great Smokey Yunick ....." anyone who doesn't use synthetic oil is an idiot ".
    There are too many reasons to use a top quality synthetic oil. But at the same time, there are racers who simply don't want to run synthetic oil. They think it's too expensive, they've always had good luck with conventional oil, they don't have a max effort engine, etc.
    And for racers who prefer not to use synthetics, there are some very good racing oils on the market, even some synthetic blends like the Renegade line of racing oils. For break-in oils, the leader is the Renegade 30wt mineral break-in oil with very high levels of zinc.

Mike, how many laps between oil changes?16 quart dry sump,796 hp aluminum motor ,20-50 synthetic blend renegade

I couldn't really answer that. It depends on a lot of factors. How good the air filter is. How good the oil filter is. Track conditions. Engine temps. Fuel and combustion leaking past the rings. And a few others.