Default Does Dixie Speedway need a promoter like Ray Cook before it shuts down? YES

With Senoia Raceway taking away the thunder from Dixie Speedway, coupled with the Swims family and their tire rules, it's no wonder that many super late model teams have decided to go elsewhere to race in 2016. Over the last few years the car counts in the super division have gone down, now to the point of only a handful of supers showing up for races such as the Ingram Memorial, the Schaeffer's series where Dixie had the 2nd lowest car count of the 4 day race weekend recently.
    The tracks need a person with the ability such as Ray Cook to take over and save the track, bring in the big series, some of which haven't been there in years and turn it around and make it the premier track in Georgia again.
    As it stands now, Dixie is just a track for lower division racing with high prices to get in the pits.
    Dixie could be the Eldora of the south, but only if someone with the smarts and ability to make it that great.
    Let's see where we are this time next year.

got a question why do tracks have 3 sometimes 4 classes of late models

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    got a question why do tracks have 3 sometimes 4 classes of late models
    Why do you have 3-4 user names?

don't you have anything nice to say are a butt head all your life

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    don't you have anything nice to say are a butt head all your life

Litey he hasnt a thing nice to say period!! Like i said to him the other day he is an A$$!!
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

If we say too much on Dixie, this thread will disappear! Fair warning! The Swims are/were well respected in the dirt racing world, but have chosen to stay stuck in the ways of the past. I believe so much would be better if Mike were in charge. But unfortunately, we'll never know. It has the history & location that few tracks enjoy. I believe some simple rule & track configuration changes would return the track to some of its former glory. I also believe that Mickey is very reluctant to many, or any, changes. The other enterprises outside of the track are doing great, according to many. So they don't "need " the track to be successful. It hurts many of us deeply that spent so many years there. It still says "Home of the Champions" on the sign, but it's far from it. My few cents!

Quote Originally Posted by champion24 View Post
    If we say too much on Dixie, this thread will disappear! Fair warning! The Swims are/were well respected in the dirt racing world, but have chosen to stay stuck in the ways of the past. I believe so much would be better if Mike were in charge. But unfortunately, we'll never know. It has the history & location that few tracks enjoy. I believe some simple rule & track configuration changes would return the track to some of its former glory. I also believe that Mickey is very reluctant to many, or any, changes. The other enterprises outside of the track are doing great, according to many. So they don't "need " the track to be successful. It hurts many of us deeply that spent so many years there. It still says "Home of the Champions" on the sign, but it's far from it. My few cents!

I completely agree with your post. Building on what you are saying about his other moneymakers are doing well. I have been told for a long time by a lot of ppl that Mickey has said when the landfill is full he has behind the track and the racetrack will be the next thing to fill up. The dump brings in way more than the track ever will. Not to mention the location of the track makes the land alone worth more than the track is worth. He could get way more for the land with the track gone.

I have always enjoyed the facility, its location, and the atmosphere. But the racing has always sucked. The only good race I have seen, was the shootout when Bill Frye came from the tail to win it.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    I have always enjoyed the facility, its location, and the atmosphere. But the racing has always sucked. The only good race I have seen, was the shootout when Bill Frye came from the tail to win it.
    The atmosphere is really good for a Saturday night dirt track. If I remember correctly they added dirt and a little banking in the offseason. The track is just a lot faster on the bottom over the top when it dries out and can get your LR in the moisture coming off 2 and 4 both. I have seen a few good races there most of which was a support division. Super bombers put on a pretty good show most of the time

With the exception of this year I've seen a lot of great races at Dixie. Saw Wayne Echols and Shane Clanton run side-by-side for almost an entire race a couple years back with Echols pulling off the upset. The track though has seemed to have made a few bad decisions over the past few years. Weekly Super Late Model racing is all but extinct here in the south. Dixie enjoyed being really the only track that ran them weekly for awhile now and did what they wanted too knowing they were the only track. Having competition in the form of Senoia has now shown the drivers aren't going to take Dixie's no change approach as several regulars now run down there. I've always thought competition is a good thing. Maybe the rise in popularity of Senoia will make Dixie see the error of their ways.

If it weren't for the Stinger division, A 1st time dirt track visitor would almost think every class at Dixie is the same without looking in detail at a rule book. The so called Econo and Super Bomber divisions look just like late models now. They really need to think about changing the names of those divisions as there isn't anything "Bomber" about them anymore.
    Last edited by weatherman85; 06-06-2016 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old7flags View Post
    With Senoia Raceway taking away the thunder from Dixie Speedway, coupled with the Swims family and their tire rules, it's no wonder that many super late model teams have decided to go elsewhere to race in 2016. Over the last few years the car counts in the super division have gone down, now to the point of only a handful of supers showing up for races such as the Ingram Memorial, the Schaeffer's series where Dixie had the 2nd lowest car count of the 4 day race weekend recently.
    The tracks need a person with the ability such as Ray Cook to take over and save the track, bring in the big series, some of which haven't been there in years and turn it around and make it the premier track in Georgia again.
    As it stands now, Dixie is just a track for lower division racing with high prices to get in the pits.
    Dixie could be the Eldora of the south, but only if someone with the smarts and ability to make it that great.
    Let's see where we are this time next year.
    Please elaborate on the rules that are the issue and how YOU would do it?

@ Bomber identity. There aren't enough cars left to make cars the way they use to, so clip cars become a necessity since Nova's, Camaro's, Chevelle's and Monte Carlo's are HIGHLY sought after collector cars now and too pricey to cut up to make a race car.

@ I too was at the race in 1995 when Bill Frye came from the rear to win, but I have seen many many more good races at Dixie since then as well.

@ Eldora of the south. Eventually Dixie won't be able to stay were it is anyway, too much development and neighbors to complain, high property taxes and so forth. Its not located in Fairbury, IL. I see them eventually putting the full focus on Rome as it has a better shot at the future. Losing Mike derailed all the plans they had, and understandably so. It was my understanding Mikey was mainly just doing track prep and that the guy who had been the main tech official for years, was now responsible for promoting. I had heard he wasn't very popular with racers or fans. Its been a couple of seasons since I was told this, but that's what I know. He was a jerk even when I was a teenager.
    Last edited by Aces&Eights; 06-08-2016 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
    Please elaborate on the rules that are the issue and how YOU would do it?

@ The poster who said bomber isnt bomber, I see you changed your name again. There aren't enough cars left to make cars the way they use to, so clip cars become a necessity since Nova's, Camaro's, Chevelle's and Monte Carlo's are HIGHLY sought after collector cars now and too pricey to cut up to make a race car.

@ I too was at the race in 1995 when Bill Frye came from the rear to win, but I have seen many many more good races at Dixie since then as well.

@ Eldora of the south. Eventually Dixie won't be able to stay were it is anyway, too much development and neighbors to complain, high property taxes and so forth. Its not located in Fairbury, IL. I see them eventually putting the full focus on Rome as it has a better shot at the future. Losing Mike derailed all the plans they had, and understandably so. It was my understanding Mikey was mainly just doing track prep and that the guy who had been the main tech official for years, was now responsible for promoting. I had heard he wasn't very popular with racers or fans. Its been a couple of seasons since I was told this, but that's what I know. He was a jerk even when I was a teenager.
    Not sure what you mean by name change. Only username I've ever had on this board. Kind of on your side here bro. I love Dixie and fear what the future may bring due to its location. I agree that there aren't enough older cars for a true bomber division. All the more reason to change the division's name. Don't see that hurting anything. Nothing is broke though as they get plenty of cars in those divisions so no need to fix it either. Was just a thought.

Can't speak for the crowds, but looking at results, Dixie has had over 100 cars in the pits every week. Super car counts are down some, but his other divisions are still doing well.

That being said, Dixie is fighting the inevitable. At some point metro Atlanta is going to come calling with a number that you can't say no to.

That will be a sad day. I feel in love with this sport running hot wheels up ramps in those pits.

When I lived in GA in the late 80s, I didn't think the track would survive urbanization much longer at that time. It was already surrounded. Almost 30 years later it's good it's still around.

The Bombers today sound like the Cadets of the 80s.

I race super at Dixie most every week but occasionally make the trip to Senoia. I am friends with the promoters at Senoia but Dixie is quite a bit closer to our shop. the problem as I see it is Dixie's tire rule. its hard to attract cars that will only occasionally make the trip when they have to buy the drs tires. that being said the current tire rule worked for them for years but I do feel if they would reevaluate this tire rule then they would enjoy a much higher car count in super. I like both places and would love to see Dixie return to its glory days as I have been attending races and racing there myself for a long time. having said all that I think the track surface at Dixie has not promoted good racing as the surface simply doesn't get much attention. yes its bottom dominant and its hard to pass on but this past week mickey actually tried something different with the track prep and I feel like we were going to have a good track to race on until the rain came. as said in a previous post weekly super late model racing is about done here in the south but I will keep supporting and racing until the last shovel of dirt is thrown on it. the car count will soon pick up as there are several new cars being finished and quite a few 'REGULARS" get the itch to go racing again.
    Last edited by warriorracerg9; 06-07-2016 at 07:54 AM.