Default Metric car bump spring set-up.

I've been away from racing for 6-7 years because of my job and was thinking about slowing down and enjoying life again. Problem is it's looking like technology has left my old ways behind! The tracks in my area are Nesmith rules. What is everyone doing now on setups? And what is this bump spring deal and how does it work? Track I would run mostly at is a smaller 3/8 mile with pretty good bank and stays pretty dry dusty and one lane around the bottom. Need something that would have enough traction and a good balance to momentum through the slick.

No advantage on a metric just a travel limiter that won't break suspension parts like other things would.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod4890 View Post
    I've been away from racing for 6-7 years because of my job and was thinking about slowing down and enjoying life again. Problem is it's looking like technology has left my old ways behind! The tracks in my area are Nesmith rules. What is everyone doing now on setups? And what is this bump spring deal and how does it work? Track I would run mostly at is a smaller 3/8 mile with pretty good bank and stays pretty dry dusty and one lane around the bottom. Need something that would have enough traction and a good balance to momentum through the slick.

Don't waste your time with bump springs. You'll go backwards.

I'm running one on a car I setup and won 9 races with it now, and people are crying about it, buts its definitely not because of a spring, just a lot of hard work and homework. Take you're chassis, find the weaknesses it has geometry wise, look at you're rules and see what you can do to correct your compromises. Your setup package is mostly determined by rules, I love helping people but have spent a lot of time and research to get what we have running right I certainty won't post publicly lol

7UP why a bump spring vs a bump stop? Curious.

probably a because most bump stops will not handle the constant pounding of a heavy car. they will split.
    plus a spring is a lot more consistent on the rating

Just My thoughts though
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I see where you're going with the bump springs but we had to stack them very tall to get the right rate and not have a big rate gain. Then the rebound on just a single spring was to irratic especially on any bumps on the track. The bump stops we stack up pretty tall (4-6) roller blade wheels and brute more consistent and don't mess with the low speed on our shocks so much.

I've run both. It depends on what I'm trying to do. Springs are linear for the most part but you can make some progressive stacks now I've always got cars on RSW bump stops. I use RSW bump stops as more a travel limiter though but do have a few as a load enhancer