Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Do you guys have any ideas of things to do to bump the car count back up? I will say the quality of the field at this year's Dream was the best ever. I don't think I saw a car that clearly had no business being there. Sure there were some slower ones but none of them were "dog slow". Just curious as to ideas. Obviously cost is the biggest issue. Perhaps they could try to get some of the better regional sanctions to co sanction & have free entry for the top 5 in points or something like that (Southern All Stars, Mars, etc). Also, the support from the Ohio/Michigan drivers has fallen off.

I will say the racing was really good all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
    Do you guys have any ideas of things to do to bump the car count back up? I will say the quality of the field at this year's Dream was the best ever. I don't think I saw a car that clearly had no business being there. Sure there were some slower ones but none of them were "dog slow". Just curious as to ideas. Obviously cost is the biggest issue. Perhaps they could try to get some of the better regional sanctions to co sanction & have free entry for the top 5 in points or something like that (Southern All Stars, Mars, etc). Also, the support from the Ohio/Michigan drivers has fallen off.

I will say the racing was really good all weekend.
    There is no outstanding need to increase car counts unless the race is unprofitable to the track.

The biggest way to increase car counts is for all of the surrounding series' and tracks to take the week off. I don't see that happening.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

One thing you could do is pay 50,000 to win, take the other 50,000 and pay it thru the field, no less than 5000 up to 20th and 3500 to start. no driver will stay away if the 1st is cut in half!
    and maybe have a non qualifier race for 3 grand! 30 or 40 laps!!

I had thought about a non qualifier type of race also. Don't get me wrong I thought all 3 nights were good. I'd just like to see a few more of the regional guys that have a chance to compete. Somewhere around 100 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    One thing you could do is pay 50,000 to win, take the other 50,000 and pay it thru the field, no less than 5000 up to 20th and 3500 to start. no driver will stay away if the 1st is cut in half!
    and maybe have a non qualifier race for 3 grand! 30 or 40 laps!!
    I can see where you're coming from, but I'm a firm believer in not messing with tradition, it wouldn't be considered a dream to me if the winner won 50-75k, since there is a handful of 50k to win races out there. Do I think Saturdays payback purse could use a little upping....yes sir.

The dream never pulled the cars of the world, never has and never will. Mainly due to the time of year. The world is at the end of the year, when some tracks and regional series' seasons are over. To where the dream is around the time some guys are just getting going, guys that run tracks and regional series' don't want to take a chance on nuking an engine or tearing their car up early in the season.

I was there and witnessed all of these big car counts. I miss them, but don't in the same sense. There were a lot cars that came back then, that didn't need to be there. They just went for the experience, and to say they had done it. We still have a few that do it, and that's fine by me, I like seeing them there honestly. That track would be completely burned up with today's format and 200+ cars, it just wouldn't be as fun I don't think.

It was awesome getting to see 200 cars back then, mostly because it was the only opportunity a lot of us got to see many of the drivers from out of our region. But entertainment-wise, 75-80 cars running three nights is much better than watching 200 race one show.

I personally miss the old Eldora myself. But times change and we must accept it. Ive been going to Eldora since 1988, I was 7 years old. We used to park our camper on the front row in turns 3 and 4. A lot of people never got to witness Eldora back then. It sure was great and still fun to talk about.