Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I liked seeing big car counts at Pennsboro every year only bc 80-90% of them were cars/drivers I had never seen race before. Quite a few had no business being there but i guess theres always the chance of an easy heat or bmain
    Last edited by jlacey; 06-10-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Yep sure do miss those days. Also missed the days of Earl running the place and not changing at catering the rules more and more every year to favor the the "professional" touring racer. I always liked when one of the smaller teams "shocked " everyone and got a good qualifying draw a good time. Started up front and made the show. I recall Many many years ago when a small team from our local area Made the World with a cast iron block 408 with a cast iron 3 speed tranny. I would personally like to see at least a full field for the heats. Never gonna happen anymore though due to all the format changes going the way of the Touring driver. Guess that happens when you get a Professional Driver who takes over and runs things. Just one mans opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I don't understand the obsession with huge car counts. Quality trumps quantity every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    +1 Exactly what he said! ↑

Today there are more cars capable of winning with this format and rules, than any time previous. No matter how many cars show up.

I remember the first daytime races and if you didn't time in the first 30, you could go home. Los of cars? Yes. Good racing? Not quite. Even after they went to nights, when you timed was more important than how fast you where. I'm sorry, Just not a fan of big car counts for races, but it's nice to see all the new drivers, that you never saw before.

There is a fine line when it comes to car counts, but it sure is disappointing to not see big regional names at the 2nd biggest crown jewel of the year such as the guys listed earlier, as well as: Tony Jackson, Stovall, Culp, McCool, Gustin, Asplin, Looney, Unzicker, Weaver, Spatola, English, Payne, Utter, Eckrich, Beard, Rasdon, Furman, Papich, Posposil, Sullivan, Rickman, Jon Mitchell. The list goes on, stout regional guys that could have a shot at making some noise at a big event like this and are either staying home or their regional tour has scheduled a race this weekend. Quality>Quantity but there are a lot of quality cars and drivers not competing for $100k this weekend.

The times, they are a'changin'!

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    I remember a year for the Dream they had 144 cars on the track packing in a rain soaked track https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ao0&ajaxhist=0
    Did all of them cars make the feature or create any more racing?

Quote Originally Posted by ohdrtfan View Post
    Yep sure do miss those days. Also missed the days of Earl running the place and not changing at catering the rules more and more every year to favor the the "professional" touring racer. I always liked when one of the smaller teams "shocked " everyone and got a good qualifying draw a good time. Started up front and made the show. I recall Many many years ago when a small team from our local area Made the World with a cast iron block 408 with a cast iron 3 speed tranny. I would personally like to see at least a full field for the heats. Never gonna happen anymore though due to all the format changes going the way of the Touring driver. Guess that happens when you get a Professional Driver who takes over and runs things. Just one mans opinion.
    Tony has done tons for Eldora, and I don't even like him. This format was I guarantee wanted by the regional teams just as much as the big ones. It gives them a much better chance of making money and getting seat time at Eldora. This isn't the old days. If you don't have about $75k in your car, your chances are very slim. All the drivers are to blame for that and the series. And it isn't going to change. Till there's no one left.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I have been there with the big car counts, and it is way better now. Thursday 8 heats, 2 b mains, 2 a mains. Old format Thursday was just tech. New format Friday 8 heats 2 b's and 2 a's that pay 10k each. Old format 400 laps of one car at a time qualifying and then the slowest would race at 1am. You guys that miss the old days are crazy. And on Saturday at 7pm when the place goes crazy and the first heat rolls off, who cares if their is 20 cars in each heat or 14 or whatever. If you aren't starting in the top 14 for your heat you are really in a huge hole.
    Go Buckeyes!!!

My first trip to Eldora was back in 1998 for the World. 248 late models. To this day, I've never seen anything like it...other than the Million.

The world 100 was and still is (to me) the most prestigious race there is because of the history of it. And yes most tracks and series always took that weekend off because of that. Now a days racers cant afford to go there for that weekend or you have your 'cherry pickers' that would rather go somewhere they know they have a better chance to win...sad

I was there back in 2005 and saw 217 late models let me tell ya 120 and this format is great. I miss 200 but man. I was there on Thursday to get my $5 pit pass and to see at 9a.m. 90 late models and more coming in was amazing and Friday the pits were full. I hated 1a.m. non qualifiers.

Default Old Eldora

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    I remember a year for the Dream they had 144 cars on the track packing in a rain soaked track https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ao0&ajaxhist=0
    I miss the old layout. They took all of the banking out and really taking a lot of racing from it.

i remember them saying they would draw more cars going to this format yeah right this much racing on that big of a track is for big money teams.

they could run 3 nights but thurs day would be practice

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Did all of them cars make the feature or create any more racing?
    no but it made more pressure on the big teams to perform better or on there toes not run like crap thursday kicke butt on friday wow looky here a good spot in a heat on sat night

Quote Originally Posted by Phatdaddy View Post
    I always heard there the world 100 used to have no entry fee. And some of the big name teams back in the '80s used to qualify more that one car. If those things are true, it probably contributed to those high car counts.
    No they actually had 200+ racers show up. There were teams who had second cars qualified, just in case, but that wasn't the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    +1 Exactly what he said! ª
    coming from a guy that goes to a champ car or midget race with not even a full field and brags about it

Why in the world any dirt track qualifies is beyond me!

I miss it a TON. Nothing like the good ole days of seeing all those cars at crown jewels, it was such a sight to see. Like a kid in a candy store.