Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who misses the days of 200 plus late models at Elodora.

Awesome seeing huge amount of haulers in line to get in the pits . It was cool seeing them one after the other arriving from the view of our campsite. All there is memories.

so true so true

That's the World 100, not the Dream. But honestly I don't. They still weeded them down to 120.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I remember a year for the Dream they had 144 cars on the track packing in a rain soaked track https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ao0&ajaxhist=0
    Last edited by old fan; 06-09-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    I remember a year for the Dream they had 144 cars on the track packing in a rain soaked track https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ao0&ajaxhist=0
    Thanx for those pics... brought back some memories. Did ya notice the tires on some of Davey J wedge cars? Look like they came off a monster truck lol

yep they ran humpers back in the day with large side panels

I always heard there the world 100 used to have no entry fee. And some of the big name teams back in the '80s used to qualify more that one car. If those things are true, it probably contributed to those high car counts.

Some of the larger counts came after the rules were changed to one car per driver.

one year at the world not dream they had 262 cars single car teams

Was it really all that great? If there was 200 cars, there was probably around 50 guys that could actually went thinking there were going to make the show, another 50 that were long shots. and of all of those maybe 15 cars that were capable of winning the race. So there were 100 cars there that had little or even more likely no shot at getting in.

yes it was really great because many many of the name drivers went home early you miss the cut you home didn't matter who you were

I kinda miss those days but not too bad. It was neat to always top 200 cars but about 100 had no business there. It took forever to qualify too. But the new normal is 75 or so at the Dream and a few more at the W100

Those were great days! It is not going to happen again! The sport has gotten out of control, people changing chassis every year, shocks are outrageous, fuel is getting close to 3 dollars a gallon again, pit pass prices have gone up. Just because more money is spent on outrageous chassis cost and shocks, does not mean its better for the sport!
    Doug Drown, Conleys, Tim and Zack Dohm, Chub, Eckert, Wells, Brandon Kinzer, Chad Stapleton, Cody Mahoney, Ruhlman, Noonan, plus 8 or 9 drivers from Michigan were not even there, I think drivers are done blowing money if they feel they don't have a chance! The outrageous cost will hurt the sport further or potentially destroy it! The one charm of dirt racing is seeing locals or smaller team compete and even beat big money teams and drivers, that is not happening anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by play4kps View Post
    Those were great days! It is not going to happen again! The sport has gotten out of control, people changing chassis every year, shocks are outrageous, fuel is getting close to 3 dollars a gallon again, pit pass prices have gone up. Just because more money is spent on outrageous chassis cost and shocks, does not mean its better for the sport!
    Doug Drown, Conleys, Tim and Zack Dohm, Chub, Eckert, Wells, Brandon Kinzer, Chad Stapleton, Cody Mahoney, Ruhlman, Noonan, plus 8 or 9 drivers from Michigan were not even there, I think drivers are done blowing money if they feel they don't have a chance! The outrageous cost will hurt the sport further or potentially destroy it! The one charm of dirt racing is seeing locals or smaller team compete and even beat big money teams and drivers, that is not happening anymore!
    Well it does not help that all of these regional series' are running the weekends of the Dream. The Ethanol series in Michigan, the Appalachian Mountain Speedweek in PA, the MARS series in OK, The COMP Cams Series in AR, The STARS series, MSCCS Series, SAS, Clash, UFO, the Ultimate Series, etc. etc.

Back when those big car counts were happening I believe a lot of series and tracks took the weekend off, especially those nearby. But there are several races happening at or very close to OH even this weekend which is taking away some of the drivers you mentioned.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

exactly sir

Tracks did take the weekend off but, then someone sceduled a race and had a good field of cars and realized not everyone wanted to go to Eldora so, now more and more tracks or series is doing it.

no respect any more I think it has to d o with regional gys can't tae the day or days off from their real job to go race xxxx miles away

I don't understand the obsession with huge car counts. Quality trumps quantity every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I don't understand the obsession with huge car counts. Quality trumps quantity every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    I think there is a fine line, I think everyone would be disappointing to see only 48 cars at the Dream (two full fields), but there is no need for more cars than you can deal with in one B-Main for each prelim feature. In my opinion the car count they are at now (which is pretty much the car count for most big events 60-80 cars) is perfect. The only other consideration is how profitable the event is to the track (certainly Eldora liked it a lot better when 200 cars were showing up).

Thanks,
    Jeff.

I miss the six hours of qualifying all those cars fighting to stay awake just to watch the non qualifiers race at 2 in the morning lol