Default Radiator relocation

With all the emphasis on fuel cell location, weight distribution, ballast placement and so on, why haven't teams relocated the radiator to the center/rear of the car?

Quote Originally Posted by HighWide&Handsome View Post
    With all the emphasis on fuel cell location, weight distribution, ballast placement and so on, why haven't teams relocated the radiator to the center/rear of the car?
    I think most rules state that the radiator must be mounted in the stock location. At least the rules I compete by say that. John 1*
    "Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
    — Heraclitus

Not sure there would be a justifiable advantage either, with the dry sump and torque arm stuff already in the middle of the car.

What if you layed it down flat, and made a duct of sort to the nose to create suction way out under the plastic nose?

Weight down low, helps, and sucking the nose to the track bonus !

Just say no...

As others have said, not legal. I have seen it done back in the 80s.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

After cooking a couple motors a few seasons back Delmas Conley relocated his radiator to the deck. They used two large fans on the underside of the radiator (not sure if they were push/ pull). It lasted a week or two then they went back conventional.

Saw an open wheel years ago at Crossville TN with the radiator mounted behind the RR quarter panel. Guess with alcohol heat issues were minimal.

Before most guys had a handle on cooling systems I saw tons of rear mounted radiators, twin radiators and even a 30 gallon water tank used to try to keep an engine cool and/or gain an advantage... most guys always go back to the traditional set-up.

I remember one top notch sprint car guy even running two small radiators.. one on each side or the roll cage along side of his head!
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019