Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Birkhofer officially retired per Facebook

It looks like Birky is done. From Alissa: "FINAL POST: Brian no longer wants to drive a race car on any level. We would like to thank all of the sponsors and fans for the support you've shown over the past nearly 30 years Brian spent behind the wheel. Stay safe in this heat!" As a relatively new fan, I didn't get to see him race very many times, but I know he would have been one of my favorites had I come along sooner.

Bret Farve,decided one day that he no longer wanted to throw a football! Now we all know the rest of the story.

She wears the pants.. #freebirky

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    It looks like Birky is done. From Alissa: "FINAL POST: Brian no longer wants to drive a race car on any level. We would like to thank all of the sponsors and fans for the support you've shown over the past nearly 30 years Brian spent behind the wheel. Stay safe in this heat!" As a relatively new fan, I didn't get to see him race very many times, but I know he would have been one of my favorites had I come along sooner.
    This is all about results, he had little this season so end of story. Who wants to support a has been? He should have stayed retired, another racer who doesn't want to spend his own money and dedicate his time to racing. Those days of just showing up and going fast are gone. 100 percent commitment or stay home. Not a good way to leave the sport when you can't even compete with the locals...

What do you call Shirley lol

Alright......Enough of this crap. Brian Birkhofer has been a one of the best ever. The cost of being a front runner is staggering. He was always blessed with great sponsors but unfortunately it was not enough for today's high cost of the sport......Birky has been a favorite of mine for a long time, what memories over the years. I wish him and his family the best, the sport won't be the same without him.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MUD MAESTRO View Post
    Alright......Enough of this crap. Brian Birkhofer has been a one of the best ever. The cost of being a front runner is staggering. He was always blessed with great sponsors but unfortunately it was not enough for today's high cost of the sport......Birky has been a favorite of mine for a long time, what memories over the years. I wish him and his family the best, the sport won't be the same without him.
    Very well said.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by cardshark21 View Post
    This is all about results, he had little this season so end of story. Who wants to support a has been? He should have stayed retired, another racer who doesn't want to spend his own money and dedicate his time to racing. Those days of just showing up and going fast are gone. 100 percent commitment or stay home. Not a good way to leave the sport when you can't even compete with the locals...
    Yeah it was about results. But if his heart wasn't in it, then it was time to step away. I'm guessing he wanted to see if it was still in his heart, Justin Kay and Gheer gave him a shot, and he just wasn't up to it. I'm pretty sure he knows exactly what it takes to be good. He was one of the best. And a cool dude.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by THE SWAMI View Post
    Bret Farve,decided one day that he no longer wanted to throw a football! Now we all know the rest of the story.
    Long as Birky doesn't start sending out d!ck pics, we're good.

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    What do you call Shirley lol
    I would call Shirley a grateful racer who lets everyone know during the post race interviews how appreciative he is of his opportunity with Bob Cullen and Arnie Ranta. He seized the chance to run with the WoOs and is having a good year.

Looks to me like Birky didn't put his heart and soul into the deal with Kay and Gheer. Staying retired is probably best for him, anything less then 100% effort doesn't work these days.

Shirley is getting ready for this years Dream, Birky can only Dream about it.

Quote Originally Posted by schlieperfan9 View Post
    I would call Shirley a grateful racer who lets everyone know during the post race interviews how appreciative he is of his opportunity with Bob Cullen and Arnie Ranta. He seized the chance to run with the WoOs and is having a good year.

Looks to me like Birky didn't put his heart and soul into the deal with Kay and Gheer. Staying retired is probably best for him, anything less then 100% effort doesn't work these days.

Shirley is getting ready for this years Dream, Birky can only Dream about it.
    Spot on with your comments about Shirly. He is just thankful for the opportunity and you can hear in every interview he does.

Can't speak about Birky but, it is pretty hard if your just a part time racer at the Woo or Lucas series.

Truth of the matter is, Brian won't just show up and drive; it's not in his blood. He's got a good business going with a ton less pressure than racing full time and getting a car set up to his liking takes too much time away from work. If you think he can't set up a car, Justin Kay took the car that Brian reworked, put an IMCA legal motor in it, and won the feature at Davenport Ia. last night from way back (13th?) after putting a half lap on the field. This is arguably about the toughest weekly field in IMCA. Some race far longer than they should; I feel that Brian needed this to realize that his "family first" decision was the right one.

he will be missed

I think Brian has his way of doing things, and there just wasn't enough time to make the effort worthwhile. Being from Iowa, I am proud of what Brian accomplished as a stock car driver. It was always great to go watch Brian race whenever he was racing in the Midwest. Every good thing eventually comes to an end. I spent many years as a kid watching his dad Dave race and I am sure he made his dad proud. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but Brian did it his way, and was successful at what he did. Good luck Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by CrankedUp90 View Post
    #freebirky
    Post of the Year Candidate: Levity Division.

RACE HARD RACE OFTEN

Quote Originally Posted by MUD MAESTRO View Post
    Well said Mud. My memories of Birky will always be topped off with his final win at Knoxville. That and pinching Bloomer at the line for that big Eldora win.
    Thanks to the craziest and wackiest nut to ever pilot a dirt late model.

Quote Originally Posted by TackyTracker View Post
    he will be missed
    Indeed He will.

http://www.4m.net/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by cardshark21 View Post
    You have not a clue what happened this season with him and the new team he was driving for, or his personal life. To call a man who won on the big stage many of times and won Knoxville just the other year "a has been", proves that you are a clueless person.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riedesel View Post
    Truth of the matter is, Brian won't just show up and drive; it's not in his blood. He's got a good business going with a ton less pressure than racing full time and getting a car set up to his liking takes too much time away from work. If you think he can't set up a car, Justin Kay took the car that Brian reworked, put an IMCA legal motor in it, and won the feature at Davenport Ia. last night from way back (13th?) after putting a half lap on the field. This is arguably about the toughest weekly field in IMCA. Some race far longer than they should; I feel that Brian needed this to realize that his "family first" decision was the right one.
    Kay almost always starts around that position weekly. And wins constantly with his own Team. Justin's crew can certainly get the job done them selves. They need no help in IMCA!!!!! And no it is not the toughest field in IMCA. Brian sure couldn't figure out the Gheerd-up cars. He changed everything on them, to what he used to race. Didn't work did it? If he would have listen to the builder he would've had better results!!!!!! Thanks Brian for the memories. Will always remember them.

I thought when he retired he was going to keep a car? Did he eventualy sell that car too

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    I thought when he retired he was going to keep a car? Did he eventualy sell that car too
    The hauler and one car went to Larry Farris from Nevada Missouri. I know it was races a couple of times.

The other car went to Jason Rauen. Then sold again.... like just about everything else he acquires.