Default Nasty Crash At Texas Motor Speedway

One of my favorite drivers, Josef Newgarden, was involved in a nasty crash at Texas Sunday. He is going to be fine but will be out of action for a while.

Newgarden is a great young American driver and we're thankful he's okay. He took a scary ride, for sure.

https://youtu.be/pJ1zj_e9w8g

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/othe...motor-speedway

Glad to hear he wasn't hurt to bad because that could have been worse. Was that at practice or during the race because it looks like the place is empty.

something must have broke on the 18 to make him come hard right ! thank god for safer barriers at texas !!!!!!

During the race but it happened on Sunday. The regularly scheduled event was rained out Saturday evening and postponed until Sunday without the race ever taking the green. They were able to race just 71 laps before it was rained out again on Sunday and it is rescheduled for Saturday August 27th. The very scary crash involving Josef Newgarden and Connor Daly happened on lap 42. There were weepers all around the track on Sunday but I haven't heard whether or not it was a weeper that caused Daly to veer to the right after getting loose coming off turn 4.

Josef hitting the wall head first was a very scary sight, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtMAN007 View Post
    something must have broke on the 18 to make him come hard right ! thank god for safer barriers at texas !!!!!!
    Check the video, DirtMAN. The in-car view appears to have Daly getting loose off of 4 and when he corrected the car suddenly caught causing it to veer hard to the right just as Josef had pulled between Daly and the wall.

I will heartily and loudly second Your thanks to God for the safer barriers at Texas!!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    During the race but it happened on Sunday. The regularly scheduled event was rained out Saturday evening and postponed until Sunday without the race ever taking the green. They were able to race just 71 laps before it was rained out again on Sunday and it is rescheduled for Saturday August 27th. The very scary crash involving Josef Newgarden and Connor Daly happened on lap 42. There were weepers all around the track on Sunday but I haven't heard whether or not it was a weeper that caused Daly to veer to the right after getting loose coming off turn 4.

Josef hitting the wall head first was a very scary sight, indeed.
    Ok, I was wondering why no one was in the stands because, this is usually a pretty good race.

Fortunately the car came apart, and fortunately there was no sudden stop. As bad as it looked, the cars are designed and constructed to handle that type of crash. Doesn't guarantee something weird won't happen during the crash. Just like Plate racing, and I despise it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Ok, I was wondering why no one was in the stands because, this is usually a pretty good race.
    Texas is almost always a great venue and a great race for the Indy Cars and it's generally very well attended, at least by Indy Car standards not including the Indy 500. Obviously many of the fans weren't able to attend the rain date on Sunday afternoon. Hopefully the ticket holders will be able, and so inclined, to return for the August rain date.

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Fortunately the car came apart, and fortunately there was no sudden stop. As bad as it looked, the cars are designed and constructed to handle that type of crash. Doesn't guarantee something weird won't happen during the crash. Just like Plate racing, and I despise it.
    When I watched it live the crash in question reminded me a bit of the USAC Silver Crown crash that ended Shane Hmiels career at Terre Haute. I realize it's completely apples and banana's but they both hit the wall head first. Thankfully Josef's car had scrubbed off a bunch of speed prior to impact of the head hoop with the wall, unlike Shane Hmiel's situation where he'd scrubbed off little or no speed at the point of impact. Otherwise, we might be discussing this in a completely different vain.

It kinda' appears as if the fact that Josef was coming on the outside of Conor was what precipitated him getting loose in the first place. That is if moisture wasn't in the equation. Knowing Josef was there may have caused Conor to pinch the car down a bit on exit of 4.

That is one place that usually has great races for the indy cars. One I don't usually miss but, I had no clue it was on.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    That is one place that usually has great races for the indy cars. One I don't usually miss but, I had no clue it was on.
    Well then, be sure to pencil in August 27th on your racing calendar. There is still 178 of the 248 lap distance still to be run. The race will resume with lap 72. It will be on NBCSN. Not sure what the starting time is on the restart. Check you're local listings for broadcast times.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Well then, be sure to pencil in August 27th on your racing calendar. There is still 178 of the 248 lap distance still to be run. The race will resume with lap 72. It will be on NBCSN. Not sure what the starting time is on the restart. Check you're local listings for broadcast times.
    Ok Thanks for the info

Default For the few here that are interested

Newgarden cleared to practice tomorrow at Road America

http://www.indycar.com/News/2016/06/...t-Road-America