Thread: shock question

Default shock question

What is everyone's opinion o gas shocks vs oil filled shocks on a metric chassis with the stock 4 link rear setup?

First oil and gas shocks are the same in design except for the gas.... The gas in gas shocks is pressurized nitrogen. The only use of the gas is to keep the oil cooler for a longer time and therefore keep the shocks valve rate more constant ... normally as the shock works the oil heats up and as it does so it thins out, with the oil being pressurized it takes longer to heat up and therefore stays thicker longer

Thank you. Now to figure out just what shocks we need to use on each corner of the car.

Stock mount or bearing end mount?

Bearing mount and with screw jacks on all 4 corners.

To keep this as simple as possible.... There are a whole list of variables that go into choosing a set of shocks. (size/speed of track, amount of tire/traction, track condition rough/slick/tacky, weight of car, driving style, center of gravity height, weight percentages, spring package, down force package, the list goes on....) Those variables can also be changed with the track conditions on a given race night. Most tracks you can start out with a base line set for your tacky track conditions, but you will benefit from softening certain shocks as the track loses grip. Softening certain shocks, as the track slows down, can aid traction on entry, or exit, or both, depending on what your needs are. I valve shocks for my friends and myself and prefer Bilstein shocks. My suggestion is pick a shock supplier, follow their suggestions, and don't expect 4 shocks to be perfect for all tracks and the changing conditions.

I understand that. Most of the time we have a dry slick track. The shocks on the car were on it when we got the car and it ran a flat track. We do not have a flat track and it get right rough at times.We had to change 3 of the springs that were on the car.