Default Thanks Dad....Racing is fun.

It's been over 20 years since my father, who was my only hero past on. It was he who introduced me to auto racing when i was a youngster. So many fond memories traveling the roads of Iowa,Illinois,Indiana, Missouri to chase racing. Watching AJ Foyt...Earnie Derr....Mel Kenyon...Iowa Late model legends Red Droste,Ed Sanger and a host of LM HOF members. Of all the activities we did as a family, it is dirt racing which i have a passion for. Thanks Dad, it was fun. Happy Fathers day to all.

Mud...same here. My father also passed 20 years ago. He instilled my love for dirt track racing as I have passed onto my son. There is one track for some reason that I always think about him whenever I go and that is Williams Grove. He loved that place.... I miss him today. Happy Father's Day to everyone.

I still have my Dad, I got to watch the races with him last night. I love those nights just as much now as I did as a kid although I'm old enough now to know that we should be thankful for the time that we have with the ones that we love. I love my dad, and thanks to him, I love motorsports.

My dad is who took me to my first races as a young kid. My dad was stationed in Yuma, Arizona and we used to go to their speedway there. Hell, I don't know if it's even still open or not but I will always remember those nights. Now I get to take my little boy to the races. Will he love it like I do? I don't know, but I enjoy building those memories with him and now I know how my dad was feeling when we built those memories together. My dad passed 11yrs ago now, and while he never got to meet his grandson I know that he would've been right there at the track or on the lake with us.

Happy father's day all....

My dad Died when I was 15.. Cancer got him He went from 240 pounds of meat to 95 pounds of mush...D!ck Hedrick let me work in his shop when i was 16.. Got in to drag racing .. Went Funny car racing for 6 years befor I found Sprint cars the Late Models...My dad worked a lot so what time I got was not much .. He said I work all the time cause I love you... I miss him Still....

My dad died back in 2009. He was a Cup crew member back in the early 60's and then crew chiefed my uncles dirt cars for many years. They won approx. 400 races touring the Southeast. I have many fond memories of Atlanta, Charlotte, Daytona, and Darlington Speedways. Once I got into dirt racing, we traveled to many races together. Speedweeks and the Lucas races at Dixie and Rome were his favorites. I miss him dearly but I know that he is with his Heavenly father, which gives me great hope and peace.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

My DAD passed away 21 yrs. ago. He started taking me to Jacksonville, Fl. speedway after he retired from Army. They ran every Saturday night, yr. round. We wound take firewood in infield and come home all smutted up, lot of times he would tell me to sleep on the floor till I could get a bath in morning. Watched Allison's, Tiny Lund, Yarborough's, Earl Pearson's dad and many more. Remember one night Pat Boone singing National Anthem. Started following NASCAR for several yrs. but been back to dirt track racing about 15 yrs. now. Try to get to track I haven't been to before, each yr.

My dad is the one who planted "the racing bug" in me, at a young age. He took me to dirt and asphalt tracks, and was my engine builder, pit crew, financial backer and transport manager, back during my kart racing years. We lost my dad to cancer back in 1996, but not a day goes by, that I don't think of him.
    Because Dirt's for Racin'...

My dad died 23 years ago, He is the one that planted the bug along with my mom..We started going to 1-55 in pevely,mo..I have so many great memories of sitting and talking racing with him for hours.. Sure do miss those days and as i have gotten older i have tried to get my step son going to races when its possible gotta get the young ones interested too...

My Sisters & I lost our Dad on December 15, 2005. What our Dad did that kept food on the table required him to be a general mechanic to survive. He somewhat understood what it took to put together a race car that would both be fast enough to be competitive and live long enough to finish the race. I believe that was what attracted him to racing.

The first racetrack he ever took me to was Fairbury American Legion Speedway. At that time there were several of Dad's friends racing at FALS. At that time FALS ran the stock cars, modified stock cars and the top division was the open wheel rail cars/super modifieds/sprint cars.

Later years I would give my Dad a hard time about him fostering this love I have for racing and how much it's cost me through the years! LOL!

Here is a little note that I read years ago that appeared in a racing publication by a son about his Dad and how his Dad instilled the racing bug in him. I wish I could take credit for writing this but it is spot on as to it's content and the relationship I had with my Dad concerning racing:

Some Dads buy your first car.

Some Dads pay your way through college.

Some Dads even give you the family business.

My Dad didn't do any of those things.

Instead,

MY DAD TOOK ME TO THE RACES!!

My dad is the one who turned me onto racing as well. Unfortunately, he's a horrible (unt. The end!

My dad started taking me to races at 3 years old. It started with Bristol nascar races back when nascar was still fun. He also got me my first race car at 14 and I have been hooked ever since. Dad and I didn't always agree or get along but now that I am old enough to understand I realize he did everything he could to give me opportunities that I would have never had without his sacrifices. I lost dad 3 years ago next week and after he was gone got a racecar again after being away from it for several years. I miss the comrade in the garage but I at least stay a little closer to him through racing even though he is gone. I'm rambling so I'll quit, thanks to the poster who started this thread.