Default Towing with an RV

Ok I have a 2 hour drive to any of the three tracks I race at. Sometimes driving home late at night is just too much. So me and the wife were talking about getting an rv to pull the trailer so we could just crash out in the rv at night and drive home in the morning. So right now I have just an 18ft open trailer with an IMCA Stock Car (2950lbs min plus trailer). I want to hear some thoughts on what to buy what not to buy what works best. I have been looking at ford class c motorhomes with the ford v10 engine but I don't know what kind of problems that comes with. Eventually I want to get a 24ft enclosed trailer too.

The Ford V-10 is basically a good engine. However, up until 2009 Ford had a lot of problems with spark plugs. They had a tendency to break off when attempting to be removed for replacement. In some of the most extreme cases they would actually blow out of the head altogether when under a heavy pull. Sometimes the head had to be removed to extract the plugs that broke off in the head and the ones that blew out of the head needed the threads repaired. The exhaust manifolds can be a problem on the V-10, as well. They have a tendency to crack and the studs will deteriorate and break off. Most times flush with the head.

The V-10 is a powerful engine for a gas powered unit and it probably would be adaquate for the 18' open trailer but you might be a little short on power pulling a 24' enclosed trailer with racecar and equipment. The transmission could possibly be a weak link, too.

Here's a link to a website that is exclusively Ford trucks and related vehicles and engine combinations. I'd look this site over and maybe even post any questions you might have. Most of the posters are quite knowledgeable and helpful.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum285/
    Last edited by CIRF; 06-20-2016 at 09:49 AM.

With the RV consideration, it's going to be how much money you can invest rather than which RV to select. I see 31 ft. Class C RVs pulling 24 ft. trailers all the time. I also see big, Class A motorhomes with diesels pulling all sizes of trailers. A neighbor has a 35 ft. diesel Class A and pulls a stacker with his for drag racing with two cars, a four wheeler, and lots of equipment including a huge, heavy tool box on wheels. Whatever you choose, buy used as RVs lose half their value when they leave the dealer. Find what you believe you will like and then verify towing capacities but expect fuel mileage to suck with any of them.

Do your self a favor if you can afford it. Purchase a diesel motor home. They are a little more expensive up front but you will save $ down the road. We have a 38' diesel and pull a 28' enclosed trailer. Our friend has a 30' V-10 and pulls a 24' enclosed trailer. he lives 30 miles farther from the track then I do. He puts in $100 in fuel every week. I spend $60 every 2 weeks. We drive the same route down country roads. Also my Diesel you barely can tell there is a trailer being pulled behind you. You will pay $75 for a oil change if you do it yourself but only have to change it every 7500 miles.
    Last edited by NSR 11; 06-20-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: add

Thanks for the info about the V10. Looks like diesel is the way to go but I've only seen a few diesel class C's. There are alot of used class A's out there for pretty cheap. NSR 11 what make and model is your 38' might be something to look for. That gas will catch up with you.

I have a 99 Holiday Rambler, 1 large slide out on drivers side. It has 6.4 Cummings with Allison 6 speed. We have had ours for 6 years now and love it. We can sleep 5 comfortably in the motor-home. Also with the Diesel generator in ours I added a outlet to the rear of the motor-home to plug in our trailer. it runs a compressor and lights with no problems. If you need to do some welding I have used a 110v welder. It did the job but if you need more power then i would suggest a secondary generator.
    Last edited by NSR 11; 06-20-2016 at 12:03 PM. Reason: add

No question about it, if your budget will withstand a diesel that is the way to go. Over the long run the fuel savings alone would be significant. The only downside we've seen over the years with the diesels is if they aren't driven and used on a regular basis it can be somewhat problematic. Not always, but periods of non-use is usually much more of a problem with the diesels than with the gassers.

A rule of thumb is that when purchased new you can add in the neighborhood of $20,000.00 or more to the initial cost of a class A diesel over a class C gasser. Not sure how that translates to the pre-owned market or to a class C diesel.

The Ford V-10 is probably the most power you can get in a mainstream gasoline engine. There might be something that is more stout available in recent years since we've been out of the motor-home market for several years now. We had one in a 32' class C with the Triton V-10 and it had all the power we ever needed, was very dependable and serviceable and somehow we avoided the spark plug/exhaust manifold problems over the course of 65,000 miles. Since then we've gone to a 5th wheel which is obviously a whole other world from what you're looking to do.

Good luck, and hopefully you can justify getting a diesel. If you can you'll love it!

The transmission is the weak link in ANY motorhome. You get what you pay for........always. My choice would be a diesel pusher with an Allison.

Start looking at RVs on eBay motors and you can gain an education in quick order.