Default rocker arm to valve tip issue

What will cause the rocker arm roller to not be touching the valve all the way across the tip. Looks like one side of the rocker is higher than the other. I have stamped steel roller tips.

something must be binding on your pivot point, on that type rocker, they should float and align themselves. push rod length will change your contact point up or down, but side to side I don't know, I would look close at the pivot point and be sure nothing is binding...

A rocker sitting "leaned over" yields a likely cause of the valve guide isn't in line with the stud. Rocker studs are seldom in perfect alignment with the valve especially with production heads amd studs where "good enough" is acceptable.

I did some online searching and seems its not uncommon. Just don't like it and not sure how much is acceptable. I'm sure it had to be that way with the aluminum rollers I had before just never saw it

most of the time the ball style stamped rocker which I think is what you have, will take care of a little misalignment, I cant remember ever having that problem though, so im not sure,

Check to see if the slot that the stud sticks through is making contact on one side, keeping the rocker from letting the tip lay flat on the valve tip. I have seen the rocker wear a groove in the stud because of this. Remember, these are "stamped" steel, not "machined". The Quality Control on these is not all that great.

I checked the clearance between the slot and stud. I'm going to grind a little off of one and see what happens.

u need adjustable guide plates ^^^^^^ these guys should turn in their user id for cremation, its sad that is the kind of help your going to get on here. good luck to everyone.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-...n=bingshopping

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    u need adjustable guide plates ^^^^^^ these guys should turn in their user id for cremation, its sad that is the kind of help your going to get on here. good luck to everyone.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-...n=bingshopping
    come on man , or girl or what ever you are, do you have to be a d!ck head with ever post you make ?

Its not the guide plates. The rocker is is line with the valve tip. The roller just does't touch all the way across the valve. Kind of like a tire with camber. It doesn't touch the ground all the way across the tread.

the guide plates will only move the tip side to side on your style rocker, push rod length will move the tip up or back on the valve tip , I think your on the right track with checking your slot, something has to be hitting or binding. if perfcon sees this he might could shed some light, he seems pretty knowledgeable on these situations, good luck...

Sorry,can't help.I have never used a stamped steel rocker on a race engine.

the only roller tip worth using is comp cams

It is the rockers. I swapped a couple around on the same stud and one was fine and the other was off a little. After further inspection the only thing I could see is the slots on some looked a little hour glass shaped. I massaged them a little and installed them. Seems like some were better after putting plenty of assembly lube on them. I'll keep a eye on them and see what happens.