Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Whatever became of GRT on the national scene?

I can't think of a single touring driver anymore that runs GRT. Anybody know why everyone seems to have departed? I've seen 1 new GRT race within a 100 miles of me in the last 4 seasons and it was a local show at Laurens Speedway in SC, he won. They use to have a tremendous dealer network and stout drivers in the house car and poof... I know they still have a regional presence but the last national event(Crown Jewel) I can remember them winning was 2006 Show Me 100 at West Plains with Wendell driving. I'm sure there have been some more National wins since, but I can't remember one, maybe a SN victory with Jack Sullivan. Seems like around 02' I stopped seeing guys switch to GRT and start to leave, like Ray Cook. Not trying to start a trash session, just curious is all.

GRT is serious about modifieds now. New ones keep popping into my area about every week it seems.

Jeremy Payne drives the GRT house car. They've had some good runs and near misses. I seem to remember GRT having some success down in the southeast in the crate division.

I'm here in the SE and around me its not the case. 10 years ago you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a GRT in Crate, Limited or Super. Now there only seems to be a few old cars filling the back of the field. Up front its BWRC, Longhorn and Capital. Rocket never was super huge where I am, about 45 mins from Barry Wright shop. There were a few who tried them, but not a lot of success.

That could be. Maybe it was just wild thinking on my part.

I think there are still a fair number of GRT by Fitzgerald in the NLMS and UDLMCS type events.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I've lived all my life in the southeast and remember GTRs be the predominant car at one point as well. It seemed in the mid 90s whenever they did driver introductions that about 80% of the field would be in a GRT with the rest in a Barry Wright. Don't hardly ever hear anyone in a GRT anymore as mentioned. I know Michael Page was pretty strong in one at Dixie Speedway. He also won several races in one at the regional level. Not sure if he still runs a GRT was very strong in one when he did. Still though, not on a national level.

Alot of Mod winners on that list.
    http://www.teamgrt.com/winnerslist2.html

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Alot of Mod winners on that list.
    http://www.teamgrt.com/winnerslist2.html
    Thanks for the list. I looked it over, found a couple of Late model wins, 1 local show winners in Alabama and 1 Crate and 1 Limited win in South Georgia... I know Wendell isnt a tour driver anymore, but I wonder why he's not in a GRT, probably more wins in them than anything else?

It looks like they rely on racers to submit their wins so some may not be posted. Seems as though the same can be said for Larry Shaw.

i can take a 2002 to a 2007-8 and be very competitive with a few tweaks,not to mention everyone forgets very quickly who was one of the first to try and build a car that doesn't flex,and everyone thought they were junk,now take a look at todays cars,they were ahead of there time

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    Dumbf!ck why would you post the same link I did?

They seem to have shifted focus to modifieds over late models.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

They seem to have shifted focus to modifieds over late models.

I'd say both GRT & Shaw appear to be out of the Late Model chassis game for the most part..... You have to do what you need to in order to stay in business and pay the bills I guess. Not apples to apples, but kind of like Gary Stanton...went from being a premier builder of sprint cars to building engines for sprint cars, midgets and Dirt Late Models.Totally reinvented himself to stay in the sport. Dirt racing is a tough sport, it is hard to stay on top.....always someone new coming on board trying to knock you off the top of the mountain. Joe Garrison, Larry Shaw and CJ Rayburn all had long runs

Did GRT and Shaw get in when the mod boom began?

Dumbf!ck why would you post the same link I did?
    just to piss you off, have a nice day

It looks like they rely on racers to submit their wins so some may not be posted. Seems as though the same can be said for Larry Shaw.
    Larry Shaw never had a dominant presence in the SE, GRT was everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    i can take a 2002 to a 2007-8 and be very competitive with a few tweaks,not to mention everyone forgets very quickly who was one of the first to try and build a car that doesn't flex,and everyone thought they were junk,now take a look at todays cars,they were ahead of there time
    Well actually I guess you could say Joe did both. I have both his books and first one touts firm chassis, second goes into flexible chassis. I always thought it odd he went from pillar to post like that, I mean to an extreme. In the span of what 3-4 years he goes from computer car to flex X car... Personally I always thought the flexing X brace and flexing cars was a bad idea.

I can tell you exactly what's wrong with GRT , his initials are JG , met him In Memphis at sentmans race expo several years back , when he found out I wasn't loaded with $$$$ , he wouldn't give me the time of day, a real piece of work.....