Thread: SB2.2's?

Default SB2.2's?

Are these heads still viable, and what kind of power can you expect from a 430 or larger in a SLM? I am wanting 830 plus, realistic, and reliable.

Didnt want to Hi-jack the other guys thread, so i thought i would ask here.

The one down side to SB2, and this came from a famous Driver, he didnt like them cause they were heavy, and caused the front end of the car to feel funny, but liked the power curve.

Is the only reason to use them cost, or should a guy just get the 13 degree Brodix and go?

Thanks, Krom.

Just say no...

I would go with the 11* Brodix or the 10* Brodix if its a wide bore block.The SB2.2 is a good head and 830hp is easy on a 430ci but they are getting harder to find due to Nascar not using them anymore.Valvetrain parts are getting harder to find and a dedicated SB 2.2 block is really necessary for good life.

Doubt we could do the wide bore to much $$. So it will be a standard i am sure, raised cam, tall deck.

The SB2 blocks are offset in the lifter valley?

Just say no...

Yes,the dedicated SB2.2 blocks have the offset lifter pattern.If I were going with a 4.400 bore spacing block,I would buy a new set of the Brodix 11* probably by Losito.

Krom, if you do decide to go SB2.2 route

Personally if your going to use a NASCAR take off head, then skip the tall deck block. The heads aren't made for the taller deck and it misaligns the intake port to a degree, that using a tall deck block to make a slightly larger engine seems to have no gain in power at all. If you have head made for the tall deck, then there doesn't seem to be an issue but many that have built engines with the take offs and tried 2 different engine sizes one tall deck and one std deck has seen there is no gain in going tall deck and larger on CID.

2nd thing is DO NOT USE double offset lifters, you will have lifter failure. Modify the heads to use no offset or only single offset. Double offset will try to rotate the lifters and bend or bow the tie bar enough that lifter will not run square with the cam and eventually fail under most cases. If you aren't using a tie bar lifter, then I guess it's fine to double offset but no sure anyone makes one for the key way stuff. If your engine builder doesn't bring this up, RUN as they have no SB2.2 experience

My 410 SB2.2 (4.145 x 3.800) makes 838 HP but that is on a lenient dyno so I feel it's a little high on numbers. It's also old as hell, lol

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Krom, if you do decide to go SB2.2 route

Personally if your going to use a NASCAR take off head, then skip the tall deck block. The heads aren't made for the taller deck and it misaligns the intake port to a degree, that using a tall deck block to make a slightly larger engine seems to have no gain in power at all. If you have head made for the tall deck, then there doesn't seem to be an issue but many that have built engines with the take offs and tried 2 different engine sizes one tall deck and one std deck has seen there is no gain in going tall deck and larger on CID.

2nd thing is DO NOT USE double offset lifters, you will have lifter failure. Modify the heads to use no offset or only single offset. Double offset will try to rotate the lifters and bend or bow the tie bar enough that lifter will not run square with the cam and eventually fail under most cases. If you aren't using a tie bar lifter, then I guess it's fine to double offset but no sure anyone makes one for the key way stuff. If your engine builder doesn't bring this up, RUN as they have no SB2.2 experience

My 410 SB2.2 (4.145 x 3.800) makes 838 HP but that is on a lenient dyno so I feel it's a little high on numbers. It's also old as hell, lol
    That would of been an expensive test on the tall desk deal.

Man you still have that sb2?

I have heard about the trouble with the offset lifters, some have said the keyway jobs are ideal for this application.

That 410 combo sounds ideal, sounds long on HP and higher RPM thats what we kind of like. I know what some of our competitors are running, and thats in the ball park.

Budget will be the biggest concern of course, I mainly wanted to go tall deck because of the road angle, but with a 410 you could run a 6.125 rod i guess.

Thanks for the info.

Just say no...

I have built a 4" stroke in a 9.325 Dart tall deck block with 6.250 rods and double offset Crower lifters and never had one ounce of trouble after 1600 laps.It made 875hp but the heads were 299cc intake runners.Jesel & T&D have made umpteen different rockers & rocker bars and it is critical that you have the right ones for your application if you go the SB2.2 route.

That sounds like a Hoss LOL.

Losito, is that Ultra Pro Machining?

Whats a ball park figure on a complete top end, other than cam for the 11* stuff?

Just say no...

Yes,Ultra Pro. If you could find a good used 11* topend,it would probably be around $5,500.00 or so.You might check with Jeremy or Larry at Custom Race Engines.He uses them almost on everything.Clements is another possibility.