Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are water trucks being banned?

It seem this season is going up in dust at my local tracks? How about yours?

Wondering why things have gotten so bad.

Seems these promoters are sold on making it this way, also.

Work a track for a week and then get on here griping about promoters.

I've raced four nights this year at three different tracks and all the same...burnt off most certainly for the feature if not by the heat races. As a racer I'm okay with that because it tends to be easier on equipment and can be an equalizer of sorts for someone with my limited resources. But as for an entertainment or "racey" view, I'm not sure how the fans look at it. It seems to be pretty warm for this time of the year already and aside from notable storms here or there, the rain has pretty much stayed away. I don't know a lick about prepping a track so I'm not sure what the answer is. As long as I know what to expect it's all good by me!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I've raced four nights this year at three different tracks and all the same...burnt off most certainly for the feature if not by the heat races. As a racer I'm okay with that because it tends to be easier on equipment and can be an equalizer of sorts for someone with my limited resources. But as for an entertainment or "racey" view, I'm not sure how the fans look at it. It seems to be pretty warm for this time of the year already and aside from notable storms here or there, the rain has pretty much stayed away. I don't know a lick about prepping a track so I'm not sure what the answer is. As long as I know what to expect it's all good by me!
    I'm with you. It's easier on equipment and it takes more talent to race a slick racetrack. Anyone can be fast on a wet track. The down side is, the fans generally like what the drivers don't.... and vice versa

Looks like some people live at a track that has the fans in mind. Used to be a lot of this.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodpin View Post
    Work a track for a week and then get on here griping about promoters.
    If I were working at track prep, by GOD there would be a tacky surface and NO dust most of the night at least, or I would quit the job.

If the fans liked dry slick the grandstands would be full...

So many promoters today have this idea that you need to keep turning over the surface time and time again hoping to get a smooth, racy track.

Ask anyone who builds road for a living and they will laugh at that notion. You need to build a solid base, perhaps turnover the top 3" then water/water and water.

I hired a professional to do my track prep on my first go around promoting two dirt tracks. He graded the track right after the feature ended on race night (Friday). Then, depending on the weather, I'd water again on Wednesday night, Thursday night and, again, on mid-day Friday. Never turned it over... never fired up the grader. We enjoyed fast, tacky and smooth tracks every week. Good red clay. Over 100 cars per night (no late models).

The second year in biz we struggled to keep the track watered... big time drought. Our attendance dropped 25%. The fans told us they would come back when we could keep the dust down.

I know every track is different... surface/weather/temps. I know promoters who spend $500/week on diesel fuel for their equipment... there goes the profits!
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Promoters "hear" the drivers more than they hear the fans, due to most often being "in the trenches" with the drivers in the pits, infield, etc. I think many promoters have just given in to what the drivers want, which is less water than more. A lot of promoters probably figure, heck, makes it easier for them to NOT have to work as much on prepping the track. Moyer didn't miss the chance to mention that Fairbury "likes their water" last night. LOL. Yeah, they do. And look at how many people show up to spectate!

I understand why the drivers with the loudest voices (as in, the most pull) do like it dry. But, i hope they realize that there has to be a happy medium for the fans' sake as well.

I wonder how this new track system name syndi is working out Brewerton Speedway had it done and the new track in Central NewYork will also look it up

FALS has loved the water the last few years, but the weekly shows have seen a drier surface. No it probably wouldn't be called dry by other tracks standards, but in my opinion, they have been drier than normal. That being said, they had it good and wet for last nights SN race.

Quote Originally Posted by turnleftandgasit View Post
    FALS has loved the water the last few years, but the weekly shows have seen a drier surface. No it probably wouldn't be called dry by other tracks standards, but in my opinion, they have been drier than normal. That being said, they had it good and wet for last nights SN race.
    last nights race was proof that it can be done. it's been hotter and drier than a popcorn fart around these parts.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    I wonder how this new track system name syndi is working out Brewerton Speedway had it done and the new track in Central NewYork will also look it up
    If that is the stuff at Rolling Wheels (shown on MavTV often), it looks beyond terrible.

Maybe their tires didn't come back clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    last nights race was proof that it can be done. it's been hotter and drier than a popcorn fart around these parts.
    You swore on this site. You are subject to a 3 month suspension unless you appeal!!! And if you so do choose to appeal. We will have the decision within 3 weeks. No tampering with foul language aloud. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dirt33 View Post
    If that is the stuff at Rolling Wheels (shown on MavTV often), it looks beyond terrible.
    not sure about rolling wheels seen videos of brewerton it never gets off the round

Oakshade uses a small water treatment fo as the pace car. They mist the track between every heat race.
    Go Buckeyes!!!

Kind of a catch 22, isn't it boys? To have fans you need cars, to get cars you listen to the drivers, you listen to the drivers and the fans whine.

I, for one, must be in the minority. All I ask is for a smooth track with multiple grooves of racing and I don't care if it's wet or dry. One thing I DON'T like seeing is guys tear up their equipment...and if tracks are too wet or too rough or too hammerdown that it's wrecking expensive stuff, that's not what I want to see.

So if the drivers want it slick and if that brings the best drivers to the front and not just cubic dollars, then I'm all for it. I've been at a couple of tracks that were smooth, dry and dust free this year, and the racing was good. Nothing wrong with that. Water isn't the answer to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ILRaceFan007 View Post
    Kind of a catch 22, isn't it boys? To have fans you need cars, to get cars you listen to the drivers, you listen to the drivers and the fans whine.

I, for one, must be in the minority. All I ask is for a smooth track with multiple grooves of racing and I don't care if it's wet or dry. One thing I DON'T like seeing is guys tear up their equipment...and if tracks are too wet or too rough or too hammerdown that it's wrecking expensive stuff, that's not what I want to see.

So if the drivers want it slick and if that brings the best drivers to the front and not just cubic dollars, then I'm all for it. I've been at a couple of tracks that were smooth, dry and dust free this year, and the racing was good. Nothing wrong with that. Water isn't the answer to everything.
    I'm with you. One of the best weekly shows I've seen was on a dry slick surface. And no dry slick doesn't mean rubbered or dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    If I were working at track prep, by GOD there would be a tacky surface and NO dust most of the night at least, or I would quit the job.
    I'm sure there are plenty of workers that'll let you give it a shot. It's not as easy as it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    It was scraped off Brewerton within a couple weeks, and depending on who takes Rolling Wheels over, it'll probably be scraped off there too. And the "new track in Central New York" isn't anywhere near done, and it's looking more and more likely that it's never going to happen.

It didn't help dust at all, in fact it may have made it worse, and it is absolutely brutal on tires.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!