Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Obviously prepping a dirt track isn't easy and lots of factors make it an inexact science. Sometimes even the best miss it because its not that easy. However what I see is most don't want to put in the effort to attempt to get the perfect track conditions. To me the perfect track is one that starts off a little wet and rolls up a small cushion or even a moisture strip at the top and then has a small moisture strip while the center slicks off. The problem is that takes lots of effort with water and grader and being patient. Most want to either rip up the surface and dump a pile of water on which leads to rough, wide open and torn up equipment which the fans enjoy and the drivers hate. Or the do nothing and dust is blowing in hot laps. The medium version is a surface that both fans and drivers enjoy. The racing ends up great and different driving styles will shine.

That's all I want is a track that has more than one lane. It's not fun to follow the guy in front of you because you KNOW if you step out of line your losing at least 3 or 4 spots. There are tracks near my house that I drive by to go south for 3 hours and don't mind it! Plus they pay better.

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    Obviously prepping a dirt track isn't easy and lots of factors make it an inexact science. Sometimes even the best miss it because its not that easy. However what I see is most don't want to put in the effort to attempt to get the perfect track conditions. To me the perfect track is one that starts off a little wet and rolls up a small cushion or even a moisture strip at the top and then has a small moisture strip while the center slicks off. The problem is that takes lots of effort with water and grader and being patient. Most want to either rip up the surface and dump a pile of water on which leads to rough, wide open and torn up equipment which the fans enjoy and the drivers hate. Or the do nothing and dust is blowing in hot laps. The medium version is a surface that both fans and drivers enjoy. The racing ends up great and different driving styles will shine.
    You mean Eldora? Describes that track pretty closely... I used to like hammer down, but over the years came to realize I have watched some of the best racing on dry slick. Speaking of surfaces, I know Learnerville put down new clay but I thought I had traveled to Tyler Co. WV instead of Sarver. Thats the worst I have ever experienced at Learnerville - raining dirt.
    Last edited by Andrews42FAN; 06-27-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrews42FAN View Post
    You mean Eldora? Describes that track pretty closely... I used to like hammer down, but over the years came to realize I have watched some of the best racing on dry slick. Speaking of surfaces, I know Learnerville put down new clay but I thought I had traveled to Tyler Co. WV instead of Sarver. Thats the worst I have ever experienced at Learnerville - raining dirt.
    I said the same thing Friday night but darn was the racing good. I'll take a dirt shower as long as I can see and the racing is good.

Quote Originally Posted by hoodpin View Post
    I'm sure there are plenty of workers that'll let you give it a shot. It's not as easy as it seems.
    I never felt that it seemed easy. Just the right thing to do, with the extra effort.

But it is much easier to just sheep foot some loose dirt and never cut it up.

Can't forget Fairbury got a LOT of rain earlier in the week too. That helped the track for this past summernationals.

Quote Originally Posted by WWilliams52 View Post
    Can't forget Fairbury got a LOT of rain earlier in the week too. That helped the track for this past summernationals.
    It always helps but that 4-5 inches got dumped by the bucket loads. Not very good soakers.
    8/13/16

I was wondering with the cost of fuel and time to water towater tracks wouldn't some sort of sprinkler system be a better alternative could be timed to water whenever you wanted it to and however much water you wanted to put down

sprinkler systems are not cheap if done right

I like to go to a track that's been properly prepped and possibly see a track record broken ( that's also been 8 years ago )

I guess they read this thread. It was dustier than ever last night. Thank you for not caring about the fans!!

Go to your local track and offer to help one weekend. You will be worn out, I will guarantee you that!!

Maybe the track wouldn't be dusty and blackened in hot laps if it was cut up 5 or 6 inches? How about giving it a try??
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 07-04-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Have you ever done it??

Come on hoodpin. You know he's not going to get up off the bleachers to attempt it. If he has his way all the tracks would look like the abomination that Rockford was
    Chris Nunn
    812-320-7435
    transitionaddress@hotmail.com

he 's a off road truck fan don't you know

Quote Originally Posted by old fan View Post
    he 's a off road truck fan don't you know
    Why do you send me emails about good race track surfaces with little dust and tacky and turn around and put me down on the forum? You can't have it both ways. Either you like dusty rock hard and usually one lane racing or you like the track prepared with some moisture down in it, which is it?

And CN your Rockford comment was uncalled for. It's just your way of being cute I realize.

I like a track to look like this.

NOT THIS

When fans quit coming to races because of the dust, they don't usually call the promoter to tell them why. I am trying to make a difference for those people in the future and speaking up for them.

Why would people want to set at a track and get covered with dirt every Saturday night? Many have sinus and lung issues, I see them covering their mouths with rags but it gets in your eyes real bad to. I'm not afraid to point this out.

Water the track to keep the fans and bring the others that have quit back. Makes total sense.

I'm done talking with promoters about track issues. I've learned that it doesn't not make one bit a difference. They are going to do what they see fit. Been there and done that enough to have learned that much.
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 07-05-2016 at 05:19 PM.

if its good racing I will sit thru anything as long as the track does not lock down , and CW just giving you chit

Quote Originally Posted by clayton_wetter View Post
    why do you send me emails about good race track surfaces with little dust and tacky and turn around and put me down on the forum? You can't have it both ways. Either you like dusty rock hard and usually one lane racing or you like the track prepared with some moisture down in it, which is it?

And cn your rockford comment was uncalled for. It's just your way of being cute i realize.

I like a track to look like this.

not this

when fans quit coming to races because of the dust, they don't usually call the promoter to tell them why. I am trying to make a difference for those people in the future and speaking up for them.

Why would people want to set at a track and get covered with dirt every saturday night? Many have sinus and lung issues, i see them covering their mouths with rags but it gets in your eyes real bad to. I'm not afraid to point this out.

Water the track to keep the fans and bring the others that have quit back. Makes total sense.

I'm done talking with promoters about track issues. I've learned that it doesn't not make one bit a difference. They are going to do what they see fit. Been there and done that enough to have learned that much.

see dubya i have to agree w u on this.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

I see some black slick in your reference picture.
    Chris Nunn
    812-320-7435
    transitionaddress@hotmail.com