Thread: Motor Opinions?

Default Motor Opinions?

Another thread i was talking over buying and building a SB2.2 for a SLM. Then it dawned on me, i can buy all the parts for about 12 to 14k, new, maybe catch a deal here and there. Assemble it and it may or may not run the way i want it too. I don't have a dyno, can take it to a chassis dyno.

So the question is, is it worth just working with a builder with a dyno and knowledge, that can tune and dial it in to get the adequate HP and performance that the xtra bucks warrants? That or buy a used motor, that's been freshened from a builder?

I have built a few motors in the past that ran well, but they were 23* and pretty basic. Now days with the 13* stuff, and SB2's i would bet the cams are crucial to make the numbers you need. Thats the reason for the question.

Thanks, Krom.

Just say no...

I am pretty good friends with the owner of a local machine shop who does our machine work, balancing, etc. Then he will rent us his dyno when we are ready to run the motor. Myself and my driver do our own motor assembly.

You are right on cams. I have known Perfconn for lots of years and he taught me a lot about cams and race motors overall. Even now I can call on him with any questions or advice. Find somebody like that and will help you alot.

Krom,
    You may have priced parts already but if you start buying new SB2.2 stuff and then pay to have the heads and intake cnc ported,you will be in for a surprise.You can have $10,000 in a new topend.$400.00 for each cam change is peanuts compared to what everything else costs.

Bill,
    Always glad to help.

No, that's a new block, rotating assy, and other stuff. All top shelf stuff.

Heads, not sure yet. Checked with Custom and your estimate was right on 5k or so for 11 degree stuff. Used of course.

But still gotta make it run good, and drivable.

Just say no...

Krom,
    You might check with Phantom Race Engines if your serious about SB2.2 stuff.I know he has an engine and he just got in 3 topends.

Ok, will take a look. Where are they located?

Just say no...

Clinton,Tennessee