Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 01 Rayburn on swing with lift arm

Here's what I got 01 Rayburn have lf 550# spring rf 500# or 275 on swing arm RR is 325 on swing arm lift arm with 300# spring has j bar shocks are 1375 afco on front 1395 afco on rear 1373 on lift arm have standard Rayburn bar lengths left rear bar all way down right rear bar all way up weights are real close to right on per Rayburn don't have scale info in front of me have 6 inch bs wheels on rf and RR can go back to 5 on rf problem is carvis tight on entry can seem to make rotate from middle out it pushes like a freight train was told to increase rear stagger at 3 and 1/2 inches now its only 6 night I drove this car have ran decent in a older Rayburn that was 4 bar track is a 3/8 medium banked track usually dry slick any set up help would be helpful thanks

You could always increase left side percentage and remove lf spring.

I can't help but think something is bound up, front end settings are out of whack, or a brake issue such as larger pistons on right side of car. Those rear bar angles shouldn't work at all.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Rf brake is shut off calipers are free and retract and are same size as lefts steering rack seems very firm maybe bad pump or rack thanks for any and all suggestions any one have a good set up

Thanks masters built racer for the suggestion's

I would put a softer l/f spring in also.Might then soften both front springs

Rcj would you go to let's say the 500 lf and a 450 to even a 425 rf

It would depend on how much of a change I thought I needed.But want you have suggested sounds good.

What if I were to put the 500 on rf and 450 on the lf and does any one have any set ups besides cj for a banked 3/8 track thanks in advance

If I remember right, Eldora's hot set up was 400 pound springs on all corners.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    If I remember right, Eldora's hot set up was 400 pound springs on all corners.
    That would be correct, thinking the year was around 97 or 98 but should have been long rear arms and long right side panhard bar also.

I've herd of the 400# springs all the way around also know a guy running a 900# RR spring on a Rayburn and he was fast

Raise LR bar & lower RR Bar it will be very tight with the bars where you have them now.

Thanks mlr19 I will change that should I add any rear steer or leave it

We always started square and just use bar adjustments to tighten. If all mounts are original I would do the following on spring rates:

LF 500 RF 525 (or 500 if you dont have a 525)
    LR 275 RR 275 on Birdcage or 500 on swingarm
    240 lbs LR
    54.5% LS
    56 - 57% rear
    3.5" to 4" of stagger

Start LR bar 2 holes up from bottom
    Start RR 1 hole up from bottom

If its tight on entry go down on LF spring rate at least 50 lbs
    to tighten off the corner raise rr bar1 hole at a time, if car is coming off the corner straight & you just need more drive, start softening LR spring 200 usually works well on slick. Make sure to put wedge back to 240 when changing springs.

MLR19,
    When you say bar, I assume your referring to trailing arms. If so, what were your Swing Arm angles? Thank you for posting this info!

Yes those were trailing arm angles. Left swingarm as high on chassis as possible. Right side 10 degrees up to chassis end.

MLR 19 thanks what height springs and I'm running all steel motor should I raise up ride heights an inch if so do u have a suggested ride height Rayburn's front heights tend to set car very low

10 " RF and LF 12" RR 14" LR Raise motor 1 inch, raise ride height 1/2" from standard.

MLR 19 do have any other adjustments or info on 5th coil or j bar or short bar

Okay guys car was better on 450 lf 500 rf now still have 275 lr and put a 400 in RR left rear bar level RR bar all way down car still had a lil push center off should I put a 550 in lf or heavier or should I go heavier on rf