$3000 To Win/$400 To Start Ultimate "Battle of The Bluegrass" SLMS at Ponderosa Saturday Night

Jamie Stumph Takes the Helm at Ponderosa

CARNESVILLE, Georgia (July 21, 2016) Who knew back in 1972 nestled in the hills of central Kentucky, a weekend tradition would commence just south of Junction City that would go on to be widely successful and pass the test of time for nearly two generations. For it was in September of that year, Ponderosa Speedway was born. In the 44 years since it’s opening, Ponderosa has established itself as a “must see” travel destination for scores of dirt track race fans largely due it’s longevity, rich history and iconic stature.

Despite it’s over the top success spanning some four plus decades, Ponderosa has not fared as well in recent years. While race fans demonstrate a level of loyalty seldom matched in other sports, they too are consumers with expectations. Additionally, unless born into the sport, each of us will occupy a seat in the grandstands this weekend where one of the youngsters seated around us could well be someone we will buy a ticket to see on the racetrack in just a few short years. Tomorrows drivers will be in the grandstands this weekend. Full grandstands, increased car counts and a full pit area is the goal of any race promoter. Understanding how this process evolves is paramount.

Few epitomize understanding the process better then new Ponderosa Speedway promoter Jamie Stumph.

“I saw my first race when I was 12” Stumph says, “and I’ve been hooked ever since. It wasn’t until I was about 21 that I raced for the first time. I raced in a 4-cylinder class then got into Open Wheel Modifieds. I really took to the car and team ownership side of racing and for the next 17 years or so enjoyed my role as a car owner, first in Open Wheel Modified then Late Model”

Fueled by his passion to immerse himself in racing, Stumph developed a capable business acumen by age 22 building a successful drywall business that still thrives today. He has fared well in real estate as well

At a point where most would be content, Stumph made the decision to take the reins at Ponderosa motivated primarily by one thing “It was looking like Ponderosa might close and the Speedway is too near and dear to too many people to let that happen. Although I wasn’t racing this year, I was still involved on different levels through sponsorship in a number of ways. The thought of Ponderosa closing was just something I didn’t want to see.

“The racing community here is quite diverse yet very close knit. For most of our competitors, racing is a weekend hobby. Others however, race at Ponderosa hoping it catapults them into opportunities to earn a living racing. Either way, Ponderosa Speedway will be here for them. I’m excited to have the opportunity to carry on the tradition of Ponderosa Speedway and hope to build on that tradition”

While it has just been two weeks, Mr. Stumph has not wasted any time. As fans file into the speedway Saturday for the 19th annual Pete Abell Memorial headlined by the Ultimate ‘Battle of The Bluegrass” Super Late Model Series, fans will notice immediately the sprucing up of the grounds, the freshly painted wall enclosing the speedway as well as freshly painted structures on the property. Additionally, new bleachers are being installed, and a newly installed electronic scoreboard has been erected.

Much work has also been done to the racing surface in preparation for Saturday night that transcends the kind of racing Ponderosa has long been known for. But wait, the best is yet to come.

“Next week we will begin a project that we are quite proud of” Stumph says. “We want to make the racing better. To achieve that, we will be bringing in new dirt and we’ll be using GPS on the equipment to ensure the racing surface is more consistent all the way around the track. This will benefit everyone. Once we get it right, the racers will be excited about it and the racing the fans in the grandstands will see will be pretty awesome”.

Stumph points out another priority at the forefront of his Things to Do List; “We gotta get people out here at night. We are going to take a hard look at how we manage race events on race night to ensure a speedy program. As strange as this’ll sound, visit the concession stand because the food is good, not because you’re looking for something to do because of long or frequent down time in the racing program”

After outlining activities under way at Ponderosa and what’s to come, Stumph is quick to point out “We have accomplished a lot of things in a short period of time here and it needs to be known that it’s been with the help of a lot of people. First and foremost, Larry Redenivs. Folks around here know him as ‘Budha’. I’d say half the folks here don’t know what his real first name is. What they do know however, is he has probably done more to support the racers here than just about anyone who has ever walked the property. In fact, without out him, his help and his guidance, we couldn’t have done this deal.

“In a lot of areas, tracks have this mindset of working against each other. That is so not true here. Larry Yance used to be the promoter here. He has Richmond now, anyway, he has been here day after day helping. David Ferrell has been a huge help too. I am in awe of their knowledge and experience. Someone else that has been a difference maker is Steve Caton. He will play a big role in the racing surface project that gets underway next week. There’s a lot of other folks involved in putting this deal together that I’d like to acknowledge who wish to remain in the background. I only refer to them to further demonstrate the number of people who have come together in a short period of time, all of us driven by our passion for racing here at Ponderosa Speedway.

“I’ve been involved in racing for a long time, I’ve been in business for a long time. One person has walked every step with me every day for 20 years, my wife Jaimie. I can say certainty, without her, we wouldn’t be having this conversation”.

While Stumph won’t go so far as to use the word ‘new’ in front of the name Ponderosa because of the speedway’s iconic stature, he does say “that is how I hope people feel when they leave”

For more information about Ponderosa Speedway go to www.ponderosaspeedway.net

Partners of ULTIMATE “Battle of the Bluegrass” Super Late Model Series; American Racer, Hoosier Racing Tires, VP Racing Fuels, AR Bodies, Revelution Race Cars, $199autos.com
Visit our website at www.fastrakracing.com and click on Ultimate “Battle of The Bluegrass” logo

Find Ultimate “Battle of The Bluegrass” Super Late Model Series on Facebook at BattleoftheBluegrass and on Twitter @UBoBluegrass