Default Going Back To FALS After a 60 Year Hiatus...

Well my trip to the PDC has been on again-off again all week. A couple things changed my mind so I'll be headed down Saturday AM... a nice easy 300 mile ride.

First... after making contact on FB with one of my late brothers kids I realized something... I saw my first dirt track race there in 1956! I was 7 years old. My brother farmed in Chatsworth, IL just down the road and, while visiting family with my folks, one night my nephews and nieces jumped in my brothers '54 Oldsmobile and headed to the races in Fairbury.

Second... three of my brothers kids (now all 60+) attend the PDC every year and I'll be joining them for the night. As a matter of fact those same kids are the ones who took me to FALS way back 60 years ago! So it's kind of a reunion!

And get this... I scored some reserved seats thru my nephew...

So all is well with me tonite... gonna catch up with some great guys, drink a beer or two, watch some great racing and celebrate 60 years of being a race fan.

Life is good.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Enjoy America's Dirt Track. Imo the greatest place on earth.

Cool story. My first time there was in 1959, per what my mom tells me. Been a regular pretty much since then. Enjoy yourself.

Great story. Have fun!!

Fairbury was the first racetrack that I ever attended. I really wish I could remember the exact date. It was sometime in the mid 1960's and I was a very small child. Bill Cox Jr., Web Spain, Bugs Anderson and Herb Cagley were racing in the stock car division. Norman "Bubby" Jones, Larry Cannon, Hershel Jenkins, Jerry Camfield, Jerry Blundy and Jack Tyne were competing in the rail (sprint) cars.

I remember how Fairbury was so packed with spectators that if you arrived late you were pretty much screwed for a decent seat. It was an electric atmosphere every week and especially during the Fairbury Fair.

What a cool story! In this day and age of developers, urban-sprawl, and all the other opponents, have not prevailed. FALS long history is heartwarming. What is the connection to the American Legion, owners, or former owners?

Very cool! My grandpa raced up there in the 50's and my uncle raced at FALS for most of the 90's. I attended most of the PDC during that time, but I pretty much stopped going to the races all together when my uncle quit. I went back to the PDC for the first time last year and was blown away on what it and FALS has turned in to. It is quite the experience. I am getting back into going to the races now and it is just amazing how this track has turned into one of the most popular tracks in the county. It is a special place. Enjoy your return trip.

Great story, I've been going to FALS since the early to mid 70's. Raced there in the 80's and 90's. This will always be my home track.

Great story, I have been attending FALS for many years, but can't top that! Welcome back and glad you can join us for the greatest weekend of the year!

Krooser, do you still know people who live in the area? I've lived in chatsworth all my life

I'm set on making the trip to Fairbury next year for this race. I have to experience it.

Back for my second year. Met some locals last year and hung out with them all weekend. One thing about dirt tracks is you can go to a new track and by the end of the weekend you feel like family.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    I'm set on making the trip to Fairbury next year for this race. I have to experience it.
    Last year was our first time here. I just hope the racing is half as good as last year. 52 years old and hands down best racing I've seen from start to finish for both classes at one track.

Quote Originally Posted by racingfool32 View Post
    Last year was our first time here. I just hope the racing is half as good as last year. 52 years old and hands down best racing I've seen from start to finish for both classes at one track.
    Everything I have seen on video or heard of the place, makes it seem like a dirt track from the heavens. Awesome setting in the middle of town, awesome atmosphere, I will be there next year.

Good lord willing and the creeks don't rise I'll be back next year.

2drace... sent you a PM,
    Class of 2019

Well I had a great time... hung around with my cousins all day Sat. They had good seats in section H on the back straight. Got plenty dirty... great race fans all around us. Even met another 4m member but forgot to ask what his screen name is...

I'll be back in 2017... God willing.
    Class of 2019

The American Legion are the current owners of the speedway, I believe they revived it after world war II and have had it ever since.